Cambodia Ban Laem - Visa Price? Was I Scammed?...

Today I drove from Pattaya to the Cambodia boarder (Ban Laem) to renew my 'B' visa for the first time to give me another 90 days.

I had already got my passport photos ready and changed some Thai BAHT into US DOLLAR ($20 for my visa) and set off on my journey.

At arrival I was summoned to the boarder post and told that a man would help me fill in the forms etc by the man in the uniform sat in the booth.... I sat down with the other guy and he helped me and my friend fill out the forms for both our Cambodia Visa (30 day) and Thai leaving and Re-Entry forms.

Next he asked for my photos which I gave him and then he asked for payment. I reached for my $20 USD which I had already changed only to find that he could not accept this... however he would take me just a few years over the boarder where I could change back my USD for BAHT.. so I did so.

I then paid the guy the 1700 BAHT that he asked for and 20 minutes later my visa was ready and I got stamped for the following 90 days. Feeling that the price was a little high I have returned home and started trying to find out the real price of my required visa.

My other friend has recently sdone a visa run with a visa run mini bus company for 2500 baht with the visa price and lunch included... I thought I would try and make this cheaper so myself and aonther friend went 50/50 on hiring a car for 1000BAHT and we manged to get there and back for 1500 BAHT fuel.. so this is only a cost of 1500 baht each... with the visa topping that at 1700BAHT each.

I feel that I may have been scammed.... is this the case? What is the cost of the visa? and the best way of aquiring it? I have to go to cambodia every 3 months for a new stamp on my business visa.

Edited by farrantomuk

I think you got boned.

I did that exact same trip 9 times in a row back in 05/06. The first few times I used a visa-run company, then switched to getting my land-lady's daughter to drive me. Figured I'd rather give "the family" the money than the visa-run company.

If I recall correctly, I paid 1,000 baht for the visa, and 100 baht for the entry/exit stamps from Cambodia. It was explained to me that if I stayed in Cambodia for more then a day, the 100 baht fee would be waived (they only charged it to the visa-runners).

5-600 baht for fuel (LPG I think), and 500 to the driver. Worked out to about the same price as I had been paying the visa company, because I'd also pick up the cheque for what ever meal(s) we stopped for along the way.

From what I remember from another thread about this, I think they (Cambodia) set the visa price at 1,000 baht or $20 US back when the dollar was worth a lot more. Now that the dollar has dropped, they prefer the 1,000 baht (obviously).

You probably were asked for more because of the assistance they gave you in filling out the forms. When I did the trips myself, I found that I didn't need help. Gave them 1,000 baht, got my visa, gave the guy in the other office 100 baht. Got my entry/exit stamps and was back in Thailand (usually) within about 15 minutes.

Next time, check the big sign above the hut where they do the visa paperwork. It should show the costs of the visas (remember that they won't go for the $20 fee even if the sign shows it). Ask for the form and fill it out at the table in front of the hut. Give them the form, your passport photos and 1,000 baht (and your passport of course).

All going well, they will notice you've done this before (and therefore must know the correct fee), and will give you back your passport with visa, no questions asked. (Then of course, you've got to go to the other office and get the entry/exit stamps).

Oh, and try renting a car that uses LPG next time. Might save you some money on fuel ! And watch out for that horde of half-naked kids that will swarm you as you cross no-mans land (saw them almost push a lady into the stream once. She kept trying to back away from them, they kept crowding her until she stumbled right on the edge of the bank. Another few inches back and she would have ended up in the creek !)

Good luck !

I think you got boned.

I did that exact same trip 9 times in a row back in 05/06. The first few times I used a visa-run company, then switched to getting my land-lady's daughter to drive me. Figured I'd rather give "the family" the money than the visa-run company.

If I recall correctly, I paid 1,000 baht for the visa, and 100 baht for the entry/exit stamps from Cambodia. It was explained to me that if I stayed in Cambodia for more then a day, the 100 baht fee would be waived (they only charged it to the visa-runners).

5-600 baht for fuel (LPG I think), and 500 to the driver. Worked out to about the same price as I had been paying the visa company, because I'd also pick up the cheque for what ever meal(s) we stopped for along the way.

From what I remember from another thread about this, I think they (Cambodia) set the visa price at 1,000 baht or $20 US back when the dollar was worth a lot more. Now that the dollar has dropped, they prefer the 1,000 baht (obviously).

You probably were asked for more because of the assistance they gave you in filling out the forms. When I did the trips myself, I found that I didn't need help. Gave them 1,000 baht, got my visa, gave the guy in the other office 100 baht. Got my entry/exit stamps and was back in Thailand (usually) within about 15 minutes.

Next time, check the big sign above the hut where they do the visa paperwork. It should show the costs of the visas (remember that they won't go for the $20 fee even if the sign shows it). Ask for the form and fill it out at the table in front of the hut. Give them the form, your passport photos and 1,000 baht (and your passport of course).

All going well, they will notice you've done this before (and therefore must know the correct fee), and will give you back your passport with visa, no questions asked. (Then of course, you've got to go to the other office and get the entry/exit stamps).

Oh, and try renting a car that uses LPG next time. Might save you some money on fuel ! And watch out for that horde of half-naked kids that will swarm you as you cross no-mans land (saw them almost push a lady into the stream once. She kept trying to back away from them, they kept crowding her until she stumbled right on the edge of the bank. Another few inches back and she would have ended up in the creek !)

Good luck !

Thanks for the reply and INFO.

Yes I think we went in a bit naive and got screwed over a little bit.... Next time I am sure it will be ok because I will know what I am doing. I think this first time it was a case of.. "I hope I don't do anything wrong and end up not getting a visa" it's all a bit overwhleming if you have never been through this process before.

I think we were lucky with the kids... we only had 4 of them and a man waived a big stick and they ran off. I will also remeber to take more cash and stop up on free booze and cigarettes.

One should always go to a visa company becaus eit is so relaxed and no problems encountered,you pay your money and watch a movie.

Sportsmans arms and witherspoons are excellent companies to deal with.

No, one should not always go with a visa run company. I went with one 4 times, and on my own 5 times.

It was just as easy going "on my own", more comfortable (3 people in a 4 door car), more convenient (we left later, stopped when and where we wanted, did some shopping along the way), quicker at the border (by leaving later, we arrived after all the visa run companies had left, and there were no line-ups anywhere), no hassles with various visa-runners that would show up late, show up drunk, screw around at the border and generally annoy everyone else.

So I didn't get a "free breakfast" (ate at home), didn't get a free packaged lunch (ate at restaurants along the way, usually a different one each time), didn't get to watch a movie (but did get to see some sights along the way, and chat with friends, and do some shopping, and a little extra sight-seeing).

And in the end, it wasn't anymore expensive than using a company.

No, one should not always go with a visa run company. I went with one 4 times, and on my own 5 times.

I have always gone on my own, and I have always gotten my visa from the Cambo Embassy in Bkk in advance. I pay them the $20, and that is that. Occasionally, I have been hassled for some tea money for "processing" the visa at the border, but I just laugh and wait and that is that.

Cost of the bus to Aranya Prathet is some 200 baht? Plus 40 baht or whatever for the songthaew to the border. If you have the time to spare, it will always be cheaper to do it yourself, provided you avoid all the border "help" and other.

yes it was cetainly easy going on my own back... simply because I am not a fan of being hearded around like cattle in a mini bus. Go there and back much quicker.

I will still go on my own next time but a little more savvy with the way things work.

Although next time I need to renew (october) I think I will be going for a week to malaysia. I havnt been there before and its a good way to see somewhere new andget my passport stamped at the same time.

• 9 months later...
Today I drove from Pattaya to the Cambodia boarder (Ban Laem) to renew my 'B' visa for the first time to give me another 90 days.

I had already got my passport photos ready and changed some Thai BAHT into US DOLLAR ($20 for my visa) and set off on my journey.

At arrival I was summoned to the boarder post and told that a man would help me fill in the forms etc by the man in the uniform sat in the booth.... I sat down with the other guy and he helped me and my friend fill out the forms for both our Cambodia Visa (30 day) and Thai leaving and Re-Entry forms.

Next he asked for my photos which I gave him and then he asked for payment. I reached for my $20 USD which I had already changed only to find that he could not accept this... however he would take me just a few years over the boarder where I could change back my USD for BAHT.. so I did so.

I then paid the guy the 1700 BAHT that he asked for and 20 minutes later my visa was ready and I got stamped for the following 90 days. Feeling that the price was a little high I have returned home and started trying to find out the real price of my required visa.

My other friend has recently sdone a visa run with a visa run mini bus company for 2500 baht with the visa price and lunch included... I thought I would try and make this cheaper so myself and aonther friend went 50/50 on hiring a car for 1000BAHT and we manged to get there and back for 1500 BAHT fuel.. so this is only a cost of 1500 baht each... with the visa topping that at 1700BAHT each.

I feel that I may have been scammed.... is this the case? What is the cost of the visa? and the best way of aquiring it? I have to go to cambodia every 3 months for a new stamp on my business visa.

I know this post is a little old but i can update it.. went to do my second part of double tourist visa today..

I drove down as the visa companies running vans there said i could go with them but they could not help me at the border but i only had to pay for travel.

i decided to drive there.

never been there before so as we parked the visa touts came over and took me to the border to fill out my forms etc...cost 2,200 baht..they then walked me over the bridge I went through Thai immigration then they sat me down at a small cafe and they went to the Cambodian immigration and got my stamps then I had to walk back still with the touts and went through Thai immigration. I paid the touts 300 bahts each two of them walked me through.

I think i was scammed a little but it was no hassle at all and i only had to queue for Thai immigration, everything else was done for me.

A lady in the queue next to me didnt have the exit stamp from cambodia so she had to go and sort this out herself after queing etc...so i feel the extra money is worth it when you have no idea what you are doing..

yes it was cetainly easy going on my own back... simply because I am not a fan of being hearded around like cattle in a mini bus. Go there and back much quicker.

I will still go on my own next time but a little more savvy with the way things work.

Although next time I need to renew (october) I think I will be going for a week to malaysia. I havnt been there before and its a good way to see somewhere new andget my passport stamped at the same time.

Yes and you pay nothing for a visa either :o

The crooks running the Cambodian Immigration station at Cham Yeam (Koh Kong) are just as bad. They never accept $20. The trick is to put 1000 Baht or 1200 Baht inside your passport, and with a bit of luck they won't ask for more. Not always though, I've had to pay 1500-1600 Baht in the past, depending on how greedy they were feeling. The trouble is that when you've travelled 5 hours from Bangkok or Pattaya to the border at Hat Lek, you're very unlikely to turn around and go home again over a few hundred Baht, and they know it. Many people have complained to the Ministry in Phnom Penh about these thieves, but nothing has been done about them. (At least the creepy medical guy who used to add to the unpleasantness of the crossing to Koh Kong has been got rid of, though!) I get great pleasure nowadays presenting a $25 Cambodian e-visa at Cham Yeam, knowing that there's nothing the Immigration guys can do about it. Unfortuantely, you can't currently use that option to enter Cambodia at Daung.

One should always go to a visa company becaus eit is so relaxed and no problems encountered,you pay your money and watch a movie.

It was just as easy going "on my own", more comfortable (3 people in a 4 door car), more convenient (we left later, stopped when and where we wanted, did some shopping along the way), quicker at the border (by leaving later, we arrived after all the visa run companies had left, and there were no line-ups anywhere), no hassles with various visa-runners that would show up late, show up drunk, screw around at the border and generally annoy everyone else.

So I didn't get a "free breakfast" (ate at home), didn't get a free packaged lunch (ate at restaurants along the way, usually a different one each time), didn't get to watch a movie (but did get to see some sights along the way, and chat with friends, and do some shopping, and a little extra sight-seeing).

And in the end, it wasn't anymore expensive than using a company.

I do a company visa run with my GF (Philippines) for 2,400 total. That's pretty hard to beat doing it alone.

The crooks running the Cambodian Immigration station at Cham Yeam (Koh Kong) are just as bad. They never accept $20. The trick is to put 1000 Baht or 1200 Baht inside your passport, and with a bit of luck they won't ask for more. Not always though, I've had to pay 1500-1600 Baht in the past, depending on how greedy they were feeling. The trouble is that when you've travelled 5 hours from Bangkok or Pattaya to the border at Hat Lek, you're very unlikely to turn around and go home again over a few hundred Baht, and they know it. Many people have complained to the Ministry in Phnom Penh about these thieves, but nothing has been done about them. (At least the creepy medical guy who used to add to the unpleasantness of the crossing to Koh Kong has been got rid of, though!) I get great pleasure nowadays presenting a $25 Cambodian e-visa at Cham Yeam, knowing that there's nothing the Immigration guys can do about it. Unfortuantely, you can't currently use that option to enter Cambodia at Daung.

Agreed - E-visas are the way to go. Saves all the fuss of arguing, or waiting forever if you dare to insist on paying the actual price. I ended up paying more on a couple of occasions, because I just wanted to get through the border. Never again.