Melbourne Airports

TBWG

Hi

Can anyone tell me which is the nearest airport to the circuit? is it Avalon or Tullamarine.

Also any advice on flying there from Suvarnabumi would be appreciated.

Thanks

TBWG :o

Tullamarine is the nearest airport to the City of Melbourne, it costs AU$50 by taxi but they do have a very good sky bus service and you can pre buy your ticket online or on entering the bus, a return ticket will cost AU$26 and the ticket is open for 12 months. The sky bus goes every 15 minutes at peak times and 30 minutes over night, there is no rail service from Tullamarine Airport. Avalon is on the Princes Highway on the way to Geelong about 50 kms from Melbourne, its mainly used for air cargo, pilot training and some Jetstar flights. The major airlines all land at Tullamarine.

In otherwords, both airports are out on the edge of town. One (avalon) is further out that Tullamarine (the main one), but you are stil out in the sticks nonetheless. I'd check the website for Avalon airport to see what transport options you'd have from there.

Hi

Can anyone tell me which is the nearest airport to the circuit? is it Avalon or Tullamarine.

Thanks

TBWG :o

When I worked the F1 circuit up till last year I always took the Thai Air flight from Bangkok to Melbourne. Don't know if they still have that flight with all the recent airline changes.

If you need a hotel I would recommend the Holiday Inn on Flinders Lane because its in town and you can catch a tram just half a block away that goes to Albert Park (F1 location). Driving a car to park and getting it parked is one big hassle.

Hi

Thanks

TBWG :D

When I worked the F1 circuit up till last year I always took the Thai Air flight from Bangkok to Melbourne. Don't know if they still have that flight with all the recent airline changes.

If you need a hotel I would recommend the Holiday Inn on Flinders Lane because its in town and you can catch a tram just half a block away that goes to Albert Park (F1 location). Driving a car to park and getting it parked is one big hassle.

Thanks for all the info ... must admit I had never heard of Avalon before. But Jetstar goes there...guess they are like Ryanair in the UK, cheap but fly you to obscure airfields! :o

Will make a note of the Holiday Inn hotel, suspect they treble the prices for GP weekend just like all the other races worldwide!

Any further local tips /info appreciated.

TBWG :D

Avaolon is a bit further out in the western suburbs of Mebourne, but if you get a cheap ticket in, that saves you more than $150 then it is worth doing it.

As for the Grand Prix hotel prices. I suspect that if you stay in Albert Park or CBD vicinity you are going to get stung. But, Melbourne is blessed with a pretty decent tram system which runs to many places in the inner south east suburbs. So if you can get a hotel/motel in any of the inner south eastern suburbs with a tram link then you'll be fine.