So This Young Buck Thinks He's Got It Figured Out......

I would give the following advice...

Come on over it sounds like you have some good ideas... At 32 years young you haven't been in the service long enough to get a retirement pension and to get that amount from the VA you must be considered 100% disabled (or have a dozen kids running around). You will loose your free health care if you come over here, but if you are just a bit stiff in the morning you should be ok and you can always go back if you need to.

Second if you are receiving disability and you have 2 years of college, why not apply for university over here and apply for vocational rehab through the VA. Full tuition reimbursement plus another 666 USD a month as a stipend (did this, I'm 50% through the VA). If you want to study International Business, the University I went to has already been approved by the VA and so has the international business major (I already did the paperwork to get the university and program approved, so you won't have to)

This would give you over 3000 USD a month while you finish your degree and get your "Thailand Legs" and about the time you finish your degree you may have all of your other ideas set up and ready to roll.

PM me if you want any more details about the VA or University stuff...

Hello all!!

Long story short, I have made my decision to move to Thailand.

I have never been to Thailand.

No, I don't think I'm an idiot why do you ask?.... :o

I have been researching for a year online browsing forums, watching videos and talking to folks whom have been there in person (and eating at Thai restaurants does this count?). I have decided the Los is where I wish to start the next chapter in my life.

So here is my plan and I'll let you fine folks on this board tear it to shreds!!

Me:

Male

32 years young

Divorced

Military veteran

I currently receive a US government -military pension of $2,557 per month which is adjusted annualy for inflation and also will go up depending on legislation that politicians like to pass to make themselves look good.

I have opened an HSBC account to have those monies deposited directly.

If I am understanding correctly, the on-shore exchange rate as of current would give me about 84,000 Bht per month of income for which I do not have to work for.

Looking at accommodations available for non serviced apartments in Bangkok I would be comfortable with something around the 10,000 bht. per month range. I am aware of most of the charges for electricity, and phone's, food nightlife...etc...

I am ex military and never had a problem living in a tent eating MRE's and even to this day prefer to eat chicken soup cold out of the can..lol So I don't need to have luxurious accommodations and love to eat chicken and rice..lol

My intent is not to be lazy and retire (much much to early!)

Rather I have many years of business and sales experience having run and owned several sucessful business over the years, I also have taken 2 years of international business schooling. I have contacts and friends whom own companies in the States whom I know I could source products and supplies for them in Thailand and handle getting everything to them and take a piece off the top. (I know the deal with Thai owned corporations where it has to be 51% Thai owned, which is why the US company I already have set up will be taking the money and exercising the agreements with the US companies, and I will only transfer the money to purchase and ship the goods to my 49/51% Thai company which has the agreements with the Thai suppliers keeping me in control of the money)

From my research, on this forum and all over the web I have become excited about the opportunities in Thailand. While I am not naive, I know things take hard work as I've done it before, and one will miss the mark or fall flat on ones face as I have done countless times before, but should a young eager but experienced entrepreneur BE excited as I am (I'mreally excited...is this the right smiley for that? :D )

I look forward to reading your comments and to making friends with all of you.

Thanks so much,

Matt

:D Well, at least you have more going for you than the usual "I just visted Thailand for a month, and I like Thailand and want to know how to stay there. Are there any jobs available in xxxxxxx for me?" type comments we often see.

Good luck, and I hope it works out.

One point, try to learn Thai as well as you can. It will make a difference in how well you do.

:o Well, at least you have more going for you than the usual "I just visted Thailand for a month, and I like Thailand and want to know how to stay there. Are there any jobs available in xxxxxxx for me?" type comments we often see.

One point, try to learn Thai as well as you can. It will make a difference in how well you do.

Ha! Thanks,

Yes everyone says for me to learn Thai. Im reading over the basics and will more than likely purchase the Rosetta Stone Thai program which has some good reviews.

I learned how different the Thai language is when I was talking to my Thai frined here in the united states. I said something about us caucasions being called farangs, and when she said farang back to me it was so completley different than I thought it would be pronounced it actually startled me.. their language to my ears at least is almost melodic..

:o Well, at least you have more going for you than the usual "I just visted Thailand for a month, and I like Thailand and want to know how to stay there. Are there any jobs available in xxxxxxx for me?" type comments we often see.

Ha! Thanks,

Yes everyone says for me to learn Thai. Im reading over the basics and will more than likely purchase the Rosetta Stone Thai program which has some good reviews.

I learned how different the Thai language is when I was talking to my Thai frined here in the united states. I said something about us caucasions being called farangs, and when she said farang back to me it was so completley different than I thought it would be pronounced it actually startled me.. their language to my ears at least is almost melodic..

Tonal.

You have to master the tones as well as learn the words and grammar. If you get the tone wrong, likely as not, it will still be a word just not the word you intended. Many Thais can still make out what you are trying to say despite the incorrect tones but some, for various reasons some intentional, can not understand. Have the same problem here in VN even with a simple word like "da" (ice), two or three times I repeat it and then it gets through and the waitress brighten up and says "da" and I think that what I've been saying all along. Although not essential a sense of humour is a great aid to learning these tonal languages, and any other foriegn language for that matter. :D

Notice that the OP has at least twice been told to lookup the Treaty of Amity and how it can favorably impact his business setup, but he has completely ignored all of that and instead talks bout eating insects and waking up in front of MBK with receipts from gold shops.

:o

TH

Notice that the OP has at least twice been told to lookup the Treaty of Amity and how it can favorably impact his business setup, but he has completely ignored all of that and instead talks bout eating insects and waking up in front of MBK with receipts from gold shops.

TH

Actually I've been told 4 times :D . Twice on this thread, once on the mistaken double post of this thread and once by my Thai friend here in the states.

I am now fully aware of it, and am looking at my options with how to best structure my entities both here in the states and in Thailand, which I will not pull the trigger on until I have consulted with both my US attorney and a Thai attorney. I prefer to follow two mantras 1: You get what you inspect, not what you expect, and 2: Measure twice, cut once... both which have saved me from peril both financially and physically many times.

NOW BACK TO THE BUGS!!!

Edited by Mattchu9999

this guy is good.

at least he sounds like he knows what he is doing...................lol.

no i dont really want to make money in thailand i just want to make just enough to cover my living expenses s h i t ! or no mention he doing it for some kind of thai girl.

No matter how much you prepare and how much you think you know, you will make mistakes. Just embrace it, it is part of the experience...You are lucky to have a pension, if I was you, I would travel for a few years. Why settle down in Thailand? There is too little money to be made and to many women to get you in trouble.....

No matter how much you prepare and how much you think you know, you will make mistakes. Just embrace it, it is part of the experience...You are lucky to have a pension, if I was you, I would travel for a few years. Why settle down in Thailand? There is too little money to be made and to many women to get you in trouble.....

Good advice from pluto and like others have said, you certainly seem to have your 'head screwed on right.' :D

The only niggling doubt I have, is why are you not having an extended trip and investigating various Countries and maybe parts of LOS? Don't get me wrong, I live and love it here but that situation happened after many,many visits to here and other countries. :D

BTW as a resident of Issan, we don't care how its spelt! even the Thai road-signs are frequently different/wrong. :D

Learn a/the language, its vital to a happy/prosperous life here!

Good Luck/Chock Dee :D

Dave

You're monthly income will allow you to live very comfortably in Thailand with plenty to spare (providing you don't start "taking care" of someone but even then it will still be sufficient if you are sensible).

My suggestion: DO NOT invest in any kind of business here for one year. Instead spend your time doing an intensive Thai language course while you get to know the people and the culture and sort through the various business "opportunities"at the same time. If after one year you still want to go ahead with a business venture you'll be in much better shape for it. I'll be surprised if you'll still feel the same way though.

With your monthly income I really don't know why you would want to put yourself at financial risk. There are plenty of other ways to keep yourself occupied and stimulated here.

Edited by Poottrong

Solider - These are your orders.

1. Get out of Bangkok (and Pattaya for that matter) - Chaing Mai is a nice place or if you like the Ocean then go exploring.

2. Learn to speak Thai - until you can shout at a woman in her own language she will never respect you. Also keep in mind that if a woman speaks english she had to learn it somewhere and certainly not in school. Wouldn't you rather be her first?

3. You will NEVER make any money operating a business within Thailand for Thais/tourists (consider that a hobby if you will). Successful business's by expats usually involve using Thailand as an base of operations for regional/virtual or export.

4. Asian don't have the same concept of truth/lies as westerners. But dont let this offend you either. Just be aware that you can never believe anything that comes out of anybodies mouth in any circumstances.

5. Money talks.

Stop eating in US Thai restaurants ( quite different than real Thai food ) and start learning to Speak Thai.

Thai restaurants in the U.S. are actually quite good. It's not actually that different from Thai food. It's more like gourmet Thai food. A few of the menu items in U.S Thai restaurants I've never heard of in Thailand but many of them are quite obviously Thai and familiar.

Also, to the OP, don't buy Rosetta Stone Thai program. Rosetta Stone has great programs for many languages for many programs but Thai is not one of them. Apparently a lot of mistakes in translation unless they've cleared it up recently. Any CD program you use won't be 100% perfect as to how the language is actually used in Thailand, but for me Pimsleur Thai has been great but only has 30 lessons. They have 90 for many languages. Anyway, that's my advice. Or just enroll in a program in Thailand for a year. You have the money to do just that. Try Walen perhaps. Very intensive in speaking in listening.

Edited by Jimjim

(I know the deal with Thai owned corporations where it has to be 51% Thai owned, which is why the US company I already have set up will be taking the money and exercising the agreements with the US companies, and I will only transfer the money to purchase and ship the goods to my 49/51% Thai company which has the agreements with the Thai suppliers keeping me in control of the money)

You are a US Citizen so you can own 100% of your company in Thailand due to the Amity treaty. Americans are the only foreign nationality that has this privilege. I'd say take advantage of it.

TH

i think i'm the third to tell him. i did my last post without reading through the whole thread first. anyway, yeah, Amity!

Sorry to hijack, but since we are on the same topic.. quick reply for me please.

single.

male.

been to thailand 6 times - 3 months longest time there since 1998 when i first went - travelled the world a couple of times (long trips over a year), lived in different a few different countries (south america).

self employed in the UK as SEO / Website Promotion person - so I dont need to see (or speak really, just send a report each month) my clients, web based - but profit only about £1300 or 78,000 THB per month right now but always taking on new clients now I am more established - been in business less than 2 years - expecting a hard time coming up with recession.

£40,000 savings - so a bit of interest per month off this - about 9000 thb after tax - but with inflation, need to not spend this!

want a 15,000 THB per month apartment.

want to get a 1 year educational visa from that Walen School of Thai place and learn some thai - can I still conduct my UK business or will there be problems?

Go to a Sunday buffet - all you can eat thai restaurant in Fallowfield South Manchester every other Sunday! (£5.99 all you can eat - very nice!)

Its not going to kill me if I can't do it for visa reasons, or if I have to come back to the UK after a year - just want an idea on my chances?