Thai Troops Enter Disputed Territory On Thai-cambodian Border

sriracha john

Just look at the temple and tell something straight from your heart. Does it look "Khmer" (e.g. Angkor Wat) or "Thai" (e.g. Wat Phra Kaew) to you?

You *could* say that the main object inside that temple was stolen from the Lao, the same applies to large parts of Issaan.

Actually, it comes from Lanna. King Setthathirath, a Lao prince who had inherited a claim to the kingdom of Lanna, took it with him when he abandoned Lanna.

Yes I know, hence the *could*. Of course the Siamese did take it from Viangchan and took it to Bangkok.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a war between Thailand and Cambodia over this issue ever broke out, then I would completely agree with you as diplomatic negotiations would be of utmost importance. Just not now.

My main concern recently has been the lack of control that the Thai government seemed to have over the Army. Samak appeared to have no power over them, that is not good for Thailand or any of its neighbours. I hope political stability does return to the country soon but I don't know when or how it will happen and cannot see the border issue being resolved in the near future.

The border issue won't be resolved soon. It has been going on for more than one hundred years.

Thailand is different from other countries in that it has different power groups. This makes it very difficult to understand that the military is separate from the government and its loyalty lies elsewhere (and thankfully so).

Do not over estimate the power of the Thai army , they got routed by the rag-tag laos defenders , there is far more to Cambodia than you give credit for , a-la Mr Hun Sen , private army , what private army ? Thailand , beware the ides of whenever .

You, obviously, didn't read what I wrote and simply responded with what you wanted to say. Do you do this often? If you read what I wrote more closely you will see my comments related to the Thai military's position internally in Thailand and had absolutely nothing to do with an external conflict.

You said "If a war between Thailand and Cambodia ever broke out-----"

I obviously read what you wrote , so responded accordingly , so do you write what you think without thinking about what you write ? Or am i missing a little of your translation of your thoughts ?

Thai spy plane flew into Cambodian airspace, Cambodians claim

PHNOM PENH, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- Cambodian military officials claimed that Thai military jets flew into Cambodian airspace Monday over two key flashpoints along the border, national media reported Thursday.

"Our troops have been standing by about 200 meters from Ta Krabey temple and this aircraft flew beyond them by a few hundred meters and circled around," Ho Bunthy, Deputy Commander of Border Military Unit 402, was quoted by the Phnom Penh Post as saying.

Cambodian troops were not given permission to fire, he added.

He called it a surprisingly brazen act given current tension over the border demarcation between the two countries and said he was given no orders on how to respond in the future after reporting the incident to his commander.

The aerial border breach was reportedly repeated around the same time over Ta Moan Thom temple, also without retaliatory shots fired, the newspaper said.

"I think the Thais used this aircraft to survey our troops standing along the border," said Neak Vong, Deputy Commander of Brigade 42, which is stationed outside Ta Moan Thom temple.

Neang Phat, secretary of state at the Cambodian Defense Ministry, told the Post he would "raise the issue" with Thai officials during negotiations scheduled for next week, but would not elaborate on the authority of military officials along the border to defend the sovereignty of the Kingdom's skies.

The border dispute between the two neighbors erupted after Cambodia's arrest of three Thai nationalist protesters on July 15,whom authorities allege crossed illegally into Cambodia close to the disputed temple site.

Since then, Thailand and Cambodia have been building up their forces near the temple and tensions have escalated, spreading to other temple sites along the border.

I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies.Those are the words of satirist and serial complainer Pietro Aretino, who annoyed the great and not so good of the 16th Century with a flurry of public correspondence to the editors of his age.

A letter of appreciation from Professor Fred Brown of the Johns Hopkins University Paul Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), here in Washington DC.

-----------------------

jacksen

** removed url!

Another link-poster.

Time to get all mods into the game to detect these.

Just look at the temple and tell something straight from your heart. Does it look "Khmer" (e.g. Angkor Wat) or "Thai" (e.g. Wat Phra Kaew) to you?

You *could* say that the main object inside that temple was stolen from the Lao, the same applies to large parts of Issaan.

Actually, it comes from Lanna. King Setthathirath, a Lao prince who had inherited a claim to the kingdom of Lanna, took it with him when he abandoned Lanna.

Yes I know, hence the *could*. Of course the Siamese did take it from Viangchan and took it to Bangkok.

Correct me if I mis-understand you. You are saying this is a OK for a thieve to rob annother thieve. If Thai knows that Laos stole it from Lanna, then it is OK to steal from Laos. I don't get it. So Lanna loose out in the end.

I shall say no more on this subject.

Also I disagree that no land has been taken extralegally in the last century. Battambang and Siem Reap were annexed by Thailand during WW2 and Preah Vihear Temple was occupied for several years in the 50's.

How about the French seizure of Battambang at the start of the 20th century? Thailand's re-annexure was the result of the peace treaty brokered by the Japanese.

The seizure was the result of the 1940-1941 French Thai war. The provinces were taken because Thailand managed to dominate the relatively weak Vichy troops not because of an amicable treaty.

Japanese backing of this paved the way for their invasion of Thailand I believe.

Battambang and western Sisophon/Siem Reap were part of Siam's Eastern Provinces before the French came along, and had been under Siamese rule since the late 18th century. The governor's residence in today's Battambang was built by Italian architects under the last Thai governor (not by the French as often assumed), who was the sixth generation in a line of Thai rulers in Battambang.

The Thais ceded the territory to the French in 1907. The French agreed in theory and in treaty to a border theme that they subsequently altered by unilaterally taking charge of mapping in the early 1900s, despite Siam's long-term occupation of Cambodian border provinces and despite agreements that the mapping would be carried out by a bilateral commission.

The 1941 Vichy-Thai Friendship Treaty, amicable or not, returned the territory to Siam. After the Japanese were defeated, France asked for its territories back in 1946, threatening to veto Siam's entry to the UN if Siam didn't comply. France kept the territories till Cambodian independence in 1953.

One legacy of all this back and forth is undelineated frontiers at many points along the Cambodian and Lao borders. Basically anywhere abutting the territories in red in the map below have still to be 100% worked out since WWII.

2883641621_0d00e8852e_o.png

I think there is a say "Penny wise, Pound foolish" or something similar. The Thai are so Penny wise, sending troop in try to clear up the dispute of a small piece of waste land beside the temple (can't remember the exact size, but I believe that it is not even enough to say build a rural airport).

Thai should be more "Pound wise" if they spend their time thinking how can they get back the area mark in red in the above map.

If a war between Thailand and Cambodia over this issue ever broke out, then I would completely agree with you as diplomatic negotiations would be of utmost importance. Just not now.

My main concern recently has been the lack of control that the Thai government seemed to have over the Army. Samak appeared to have no power over them, that is not good for Thailand or any of its neighbours. I hope political stability does return to the country soon but I don't know when or how it will happen and cannot see the border issue being resolved in the near future.

The border issue won't be resolved soon. It has been going on for more than one hundred years.

Thailand is different from other countries in that it has different power groups. This makes it very difficult to understand that the military is separate from the government and its loyalty lies elsewhere (and thankfully so).

Do not over estimate the power of the Thai army , they got routed by the rag-tag laos defenders , there is far more to Cambodia than you give credit for , a-la Mr Hun Sen , private army , what private army ? Thailand , beware the ides of whenever .

You, obviously, didn't read what I wrote and simply responded with what you wanted to say. Do you do this often? If you read what I wrote more closely you will see my comments related to the Thai military's position internally in Thailand and had absolutely nothing to do with an external conflict.

You said "If a war between Thailand and Cambodia ever broke out-----"

I obviously read what you wrote , so responded accordingly , so do you write what you think without thinking about what you write ? Or am i missing a little of your translation of your thoughts ?

I am lost here. I said "If a war between Thailand and Cambodia over this issue ever broke out, then I would completely agree with you as diplomatic negotiations would be of utmost importance." Nowhere did I ever mention anything about which side had a stronger military. Actually, I completely agree with your point on this. Somehow we got our signals crossed. Hopefully, these two countries do a better job in communication than we have.

Battambang and western Sisophon/Siem Reap were part of Siam's Eastern Provinces before the French came along, and had been under Siamese rule since the late 18th century. The governor's residence in today's Battambang was built by Italian architects under the last Thai governor (not by the French as often assumed), who was the sixth generation in a line of Thai rulers in Battambang.

The Thais ceded the territory to the French in 1907. The French agreed in theory and in treaty to a border theme that they subsequently altered by unilaterally taking charge of mapping in the early 1900s, despite Siam's long-term occupation of Cambodian border provinces and despite agreements that the mapping would be carried out by a bilateral commission.

The 1941 Vichy-Thai Friendship Treaty, amicable or not, returned the territory to Siam. After the Japanese were defeated, France asked for its territories back in 1946, threatening to veto Siam's entry to the UN if Siam didn't comply. France kept the territories till Cambodian independence in 1953.

One legacy of all this back and forth is undelineated frontiers at many points along the Cambodian and Lao borders. Basically anywhere abutting the territories in red in the map below have still to be 100% worked out since WWII.

The provinces in red are Siem Reap, Battambang, Preah Vihear and Stung Treng I believe.

As you mention in the first paragraph these provinces were occupied by Thailand in the 18th century before being ceded to the French under the protectorate of Cambodia in 1907.

What is the current Thai claim on this territory and the reasoning behind it?

The provinces in red are Siem Reap, Battambang, Preah Vihear and Stung Treng I believe.

As you mention in the first paragraph these provinces were occupied by Thailand in the 18th century before being ceded to the French under the protectorate of Cambodia in 1907.

What is the current Thai claim on this territory and the reasoning behind it?

There is no Thai claim on the areas marked in red, in general. All three countries--Thailand, Laos and Cambodia--are still trying to work out exact border delineations in some places.

The corresponding RTA topo survey maps for these areas, for example, are unavailable to the general public as the Thai gov't doesn't want to make claims (or at least doesn't want to be accused of making claims) for incomplete border delineations.

Correct me if I mis-understand you. You are saying this is a OK for a thieve to rob annother thieve. If Thai knows that Laos stole it from Lanna, then it is OK to steal from Laos. I don't get it. So Lanna loose out in the end.

The Emerald Buddha's niche at Wat Chedi Luang wasn't repaired until a few years ago. Admittedly, I don't see why they should have put a replica there, as they did in 1995, instead of the real thing.

UN Chief comments Thai-Cambodian conflict

The United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon suggested that the border disputes between Thailand and Cambodia should be settled bilaterally, Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said Monday.

The UN Chief told ministers of both sides while they together with other colleagues from the ASEAN met with him on the sideline of the UN General Assembly in New York.

Thailand-Cambodia border conflict was among the issues including the Burma's rehabilitation after Cyclone Nargis discussed between the ASEAN ministers and Secretary General Ban.

The border conflict came into the UN attention as Phnom Penh wanted to bring the issue to the UN Security Council since July. It was put on hold since both sides have many bilateral mechanisms to handle such conflict.

- The Nation / 2008-09-30

Cambodia wants temples discussed at next ministerial meeting: Thai FM

BANGKOK, Sept 30 (TNA) - Thai Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat on Tuesday revealed Cambodia wanted to raise the border demarcation dispute over Ta Muen Thom and Ta Khwai temple ruins for discussion with Thailand in the next foreign ministers' meeting.

Interviewed by telephone after chairing the informal ASEAN Foreign Ministers' Meeting in New York, Mr. Sompong said he told the gathered ministers of the result of two rounds of talks between the Cambodian and Thai foreign ministers to solve the border tension between the two neighbouring countries.

The ministers were told that progress was made in the talks as both countries agreed to reduce their military forces stationed in disputed areas to 30 men only and that they would attempt to further cut their forces in the future.

He said Cambodian officials informed the meeting of their desire to raise the border dispute over Ta Muen Thom and Ta Khwai ruins for discussion with Thailand.

It is expected the issue will be discussed when Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat visits Cambodia on October 13 at the invitation of his Cambodian counterpart Somdej Hun Sen.

In addition, it will be discussed at the meeting of the Thai-Cambodian Joint Commission on Demarcation for Land Boundaries (JBC).

"ASEAN members were satisfied when we told them that both countries understood each other and saw a need to adhere to the bilateral talks to solve the border dispute.

"The United Nations secretary-general told the ASEAN meeting that he was informed of progress in the Thai-Cambodian talks.

"The UN chief also expressed a desire to see both countries attempt to settle the dispute through the bilateral talks, not using the UN Security Council meeting," he said.

Mr. Sompong said no ASEAN members had questioned Thailand's readiness to act as the chair of the group.

The minister said he decided to come here to join the ASEAN meeting in New York to assure the members that Thailand is ready to host the ASEAN Summit in December.

He added that UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had agreed to visit Thailand on December 18 to attend the ASEAN Summit in Bangkok.

PM to visit Cambodia, seeks end to row

The disputes over Ta Muen Tom and Ta Kwai temples will be high on the agenda of PM Somchai when he visits Cambodia on Oct 13. Foreign Minister Sompong Amornvivat said a Cambodian foreign affairs official had told foreign ministers of ASEAN that "Thailand is occupying these two areas." Cambodia wanted to discuss the issue during the visit to Phnom Penh by the PM, he added. Thailand is confident the two temples are in Phanom Dong Rak district in Surin. Ta Kwai temple is called Ta Krabey by Cambodians. Sompong reaffirmed the next Joint Boundary Commission meeting would be held after Parliament gives it the go-ahead. The Foreign Ministry wants Parliament's approval for the meeting to avoid any violation of the constitution. ASEAN foreign ministers were satisfied Thailand and Cambodia would be able to handle the problems through the bilateral talks, he said. UN Secretary-General Bun Ki Moon agreed it was unnecessary for the two countries to bring the issues to the UN Security Council, Sompong said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/011008_News/01Oct2008_news04.php

CNN: Thai and Cambodian troops wounded in clash

October 3, 2008 -- Updated 1456 GMT (2256 HKT)

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) -- Soldiers from both Cambodia and Thailand were wounded Friday in a brief clash along their volatile border, officials from the two countries said.

post-21740-1223087640_thumb.jpg

A Cambodian soldier is shown at the

Preah Vihear temple in late July.

Cambodian Information Minister Khieu Kanharith said a Cambodian soldier was slightly wounded when Thai troops fired a grenade from their territory. He said Cambodian troops returned fire, with the "military incident" lasting less than a minute.

Thai officials initially denied knowledge of the incident, but a Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman later said Cambodian troops had encroached on Thai territory and had been the first to fire, wounding two Thai troops.

Tensions along the normally peaceful border between Cambodia and Thailand flared on July 15 after UNESCO, the U.N. cultural agency, approved Cambodia's application to have a disputed 11th century temple named a World Heritage Site. Friday's clash took place about two miles (three kilometers) west of the temple, Preah Vihear.

A spokesman for Cambodia's Cabinet, Phay Siphan, said the incident began after Cambodian troops intercepted a trespassing Thai patrol. He said the Thai troops retreated in response to a warning from the Cambodians, but then fired the grenade.

Cambodian troops returned fire with AK-47 assault rifles, with the exchange of fire lasting three to five minutes, he said.

Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman Tharit Charungvat said Friday evening that the Thai troops had been patrolling in their own territory when they encountered the Cambodian soldiers.

"The Cambodian troops shot at the Thai troops first, wounding two soldiers. One Cambodian soldier was also wounded after the Thais responded," he said.

Lt. Gen. Wiboonsak Ngeepan, the regional army commander for northeastern Thailand, said it was unclear if the Cambodians intruded intentionally or had strayed into Thailand because "the area is dense forest."

Both countries have long claimed Preah Vihear, but the World Court awarded it to Cambodia in 1962.

After UNESCO approved the temple's listing as a World Heritage Site, Thailand sent troops to occupy the nearby Keo Sikha Kiri Svara pagoda, also claimed by Cambodia.

Cambodia responded with its own troop deployment. The two sides came close to a shootout on July 17 when Cambodian monks sought to celebrate Buddhist lent in the pagoda.

Troops on both sides raised their weapons, but no shots were fired, and the Cambodians eventually backed down.

Since then there has been a limited troop withdrawal from the area, and talks have been held several times on resolving the conflicting claims, but without much progress.

Before Friday's clash was reported, Thai Deputy Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh told reporters that he and Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat would travel to Cambodia on Oct. 13 to discuss the border issue with Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen.

From: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/...d.ap/index.html

It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Flooding in the Northeast, an active insurgency in the South, the yellow-shirted mob in Bangkok and now this.

Won't be long before Thailand gets listed as an "adventure tourism" destination... for all the wrong types of adventure :o

post-53962-1223098023_thumb.jpg

It's a problem with forum software - it encodes the urls in a way browsers don't understand.

I'll go look into Forum Support, see what they have to say about it.

Thank you kindly , nice to see some one shows concern for us poor old farts .

BANGKOK POST

Thailand claims Cambodia fire on Thai troops first

Following a Friday afternoon incident in which two Thais and one Khmer soldier were
wounded, Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has denied that Thai soldiers patrolling near the ancient Preah Vihear temple on the Thai-Cambodian border provoked a gunfight with the Cambodian, but accused the Khmers of intruding into Thai territory.

The statement, issued Friday night, quoted Tharit Charungvat, director-general of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs Information Department saying that according to Thai military sources the exchange of gunfire which took place at about 3.45 pm erupted when a Thai military unit patrolling the border about one kilometre west of the temple encountered a Cambodian military unit.

The Thai soldiers said the Khmer troops had encroached about one kilometre into Thai territory.

Negotiations asking the Cambodian troops to withdraw as requested by the Thais failed, said the Thai foreign ministry statement.

"As the Thai military unit was moving out of the area to report to their commander, the Cambodian military unit opened fire at them," according to the Thai ministry statement. "The Thai side was therefore compelled to return fire," the statement noted.

Two Thai and one Cambodian soldiers were wounded, according to the foreign ministry, which said the Khmer soldier's wound was in his hand.

The situation has now returned to normal and the Thai military had initiated higher-level contact with the Cambodian military, said the statement.

"The Cambodian side agreed to investigate the matter and reaffirmed that the incident would be contained without any further armed confrontation," it added.

The Cambodians affirmed that they would coordinate more closely with the Thais to prevent any recurrence of similar incidents.

Tensions between the two neighbours flared up in July after Preah Vihear temple, which belongs to Cambodia, 
was awarded world heritage status by the UNESCO, angering Thai nationalists who still claim ownership of the 11th century temple.

The International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 that the temple belongs to Cambodia, but the surrounding land remains in dispute. (TNA)

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=131099

Edited by toptuan

It's a problem with forum software - it encodes the urls in a way browsers don't understand.

I'll go look into Forum Support, see what they have to say about it.

Thank you kindly , nice to see some one shows concern for us poor old farts .

Well, George was on it, and it seems to be fixed now.

Bangkok post link to a breaking news story is dead, but that's BP's fault, not forum's.

Well looks like the generals are out swingin' dicks again

to see who's is biggest, and make sure the pols think thet

they still are relevant and need cash.

New government new border clash: on schedual...

Sadly the grunts on the line get shot for this brinksmanship.

Some dufus leutenant JG says 'fire in the air and scare them off.'

Well guess what shots sound like shots,

no direction seen;they missed us!

So they FIRE BACK...ON target!

Neither side really wants a war, when they can make money.

But factions of the Army don't want Thaksin controled casinos

to have easier smuggling routes for LARGE bundles of cash to

disrupt the situation further.

Border tighten's and BIGGER pay offs needed for smaller loads coming in.

A pretty careful logic there.

Make some tea money and help the INTERNAL stability of the country

Of course the diplomats must still jocky for advantage all the time,

but that's their job. Pick up the pieces after the fighting,

and occasionally, prevent fighting before hand.

EDITORIAL

The need for a temple deal

The political crisis in Bangkok has caused several unfortunate consequences that were not foreshadowed. At the top of the list is the danger that the simmering Preah Vihear temple dispute might get out of hand. Last Friday, Cambodian and Thai troops exchanged gunfire which caused casualties on both sides before cooler heads stepped in. There are differing versions as to what caused this extraordinary exchange of hostile fire, and a full investigation should be held quickly. But it is far more important that the government focus more diligently on this and other matters of national interest which it has lately ignored. That matter of national interest turned into a nasty matter of national security on Friday. According to the Foreign Ministry, Cambodian troops "were definitely inside Thai territory" and opened fire. The initial story from Cambodian Information Minister Khieu Kanharith agreed that Thai troops were in Thailand, but said they fired the first shot - a grenade which wounded two Khmer soldiers. Reports also agree the exchange of fire lasted less than two minutes, and a Thai soldier also was hit by Cambodian gunfire. This is the danger of troops facing each other across a disputed, semi-jungle border. Any tiny misunderstanding or accident can cause a serious incident that can easily escalate. As history tells us, minor events have caused major wars. Since the resignation of Noppadon Pattama over the Preah Vihear temple issue, top-level relations with Cambodia have fallen into limbo. None of the three ministers who followed Noppadon has been able to focus on the important question of relations with Cambodia. Professional diplomat Tej Bunnag held a meeting with his Cambodian counterpart in Siem Reap which was little more than a formality. Saroj Chavanavirat, another professional, barely had time to move into, and then out of, his office when his PM, Samak, was disqualified by the Constitution Court. Current Foreign Minister Sompong Amornvivat has spent most of his working time at the United Nations. The Preah Vihear temple issue is a top priority for several reasons. Peace and

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/061008_News/06Oct2008_news16.php

Thailand claims Cambodia fire on Thai troops first

It takes 2 to start a fight. It is so stupid for the Thai to claim that the Khmer fire first. I'm sure the Khmer is claiming the exact opporsite.

There is a saying in Thai "Clapping with one hand does not make any sound". (It takes 2 hands) :o:D:D

Thai soldiers wounded by landmines along Cambodian border

Thailand's army says two Thai soldiers have stepped on landmines along the Cambodian border three days after a brief exchange of fire near the disputed 900-year-old Preah Vihear temple.

The army rangers, each of whom lost a leg, were patrolling on Thai territory and stepped on the mines only 400 metres from where soldiers from both sides clashed on Friday.

Cambodia says the mines, believed to have been laid years ago by the Khmer Rouge, were on Cambodian soil.

Bangkok and Phnom Penh have accused each other of unprovoked aggression in Friday's contact between two border patrol units in which two Thais and one Cambodian were wounded.

It was the first clash since the two sides agreed in August to withdraw most of the 1,000 troops that had been facing off for a month near the historic Hindu ruins that sit on the jungle-clad escarpment dividing the countries.

Sompong Amornvivat, Thailand's fifth foreign minister in a year, told reporters he would discuss the issue with his Cambodian counterpart next Monday during a visit to Phnom Penh by Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

- ABC (Australia) / 2008-10-07

0x512.jpg

A Cambodian soldier takes cover after a landmine explosion near Preah Vihear temple on October 6. Cambodia and Thailand on Monday resumed talks on their simmering border spat, following a skirmish between troops near an ancient temple earlier this month.

AFP

Cambodia, Thailand resume talks on border spat

PHNOM PENH (AFP / 1 hour ago) - Cambodia and Thailand on Monday resumed talks on their simmering border spat, following a skirmish between troops near an ancient temple earlier this month.

Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong and his Thai counterpart Sompong Amornwiwat met in the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh with the aim of resolving the border dispute.

"The biggest topic for the meeting is the border issue," Cambodian foreign ministry spokesman Koy Kuong told AFP. Sompong is also scheduled to meet with Prime Minister Hun Sen later in the day, the official said.

The two countries have swapped accusations of violating each other's territory in the dispute over land near at least three ancient temples along their border.

At least one Cambodian soldier and two Thai troops were wounded when units exchanged gunfire during a brief clash on October 3 near Preah Vihear temple.

Two other Thai soldiers were also seriously injured last week after stepping on a landmine near the ruins. Talks to discuss withdrawing troops from around Preah Vihear were postponed late August amid political turmoil in Thailand.

Tensions flared in July after ancient Khmer temple Preah Vihear was awarded world heritage status by the United Nations cultural body UNESCO, angering nationalists in Thailand who still claim ownership of the site.

Those tensions turned into a military confrontation in which up to 1,000 Cambodian and Thai troops faced off for six weeks.

Both sides agreed to pull back in mid-August, leaving just a few dozen soldiers stationed near the temple. However, much of the Cambodian-Thai border remains in dispute, and the slow pace of mine clearance has delayed demarcation.

Cambodia warns Thailand again in border spat

PHNOM PENH (Reuters / 8 minutes ago) - Cambodia accused Thailand on Monday of trying to send troops across their disputed border, warning that such a provocation could eventually lead to "large scale conflict."

Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong said up to 500 Thai troops had tried to cross the border near an area where two Thai soldiers stepped on landmines earlier this month.

"Our troops at the border have asked the Thais not to encroach on our border," he told reporters after talks with his Thai counterpart, Sompong Amornvivat, in Phnom Penh.

"If so, there will be an armed clash. This could lead to a large-scale conflict," he said.

Sompong did not speak to reporters, but Thai officials in Bangkok denied there was any attempted incursion.

"Invasion? What invasion when the land is claimed by both sides?" Thai army spokesman Sunsern Kaewkumnerd told Reuters.

Bangkok and Phnom Penh have accused each other of unprovoked aggression since a border shooting incident on October 3 in which three soldiers were wounded. After that clash, Cambodia warned Thailand that such "armed provocation" could lead to conflict.

The standoff began in July and centers on 1.8 square miles (4.6 sq km) of scrub near an ancient Hindu temple that sits on a jungle-clad escarpment dividing the countries.

The argument started when protest groups seeking to overthrow the Thai government criticized Bangkok's backing of Cambodia's bid to list Preah Vihear as a U.N. World Heritage site.

Both sides have claimed Preah Vihear for decades. The International Court of Justice awarded it to Cambodia in 1962, a ruling that has rankled many in Thailand ever since.

Taking things to the brink....

Khmer PM gives Thailand border ultimatum

Phnom Penh - Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen here Monday asked Thailand to evacuate its 81 troops from the Veal Intry area near the Preah Vihear Temple on Cambodian soil within 24 hours, and warned war otherwise, Xinhua news agency reported.

"The Veal Intry area is the dead or alive point for us," he told reporters at Cambodia's Foreign Ministry after meeting with visiting Thai Foreign Minister Sompong Amornviwat.

"The situation at the Veal Intry area is too hot. They have to remove tonight or tomorrow. If they don't remove from the Veal Intry area, war will be waged," he said.

"They entered there (Monday morning) and are deploying and camping their tents about 30 meters from our soldiers. They said they stay here only one day," he said.

"Cambodia still keep our maximum restraints and won't mind if they go back to their own stronghold," he said.

According to Xinua, Hun Sen said, "We want to solve the matter with a peaceful deal. We are trying to shorten the conflict," he said.

The international court is the best way for both sides to solve the border conflict and it can also avoid blame from the people of the two nations, he said.

In addition, Cambodia can't hand over concession land to Thailand, and Thailand either, he said.

The Veal Intry area is on the Phnom Trap hill side, approximately 2,000 meters from the west side of the Keo Sikha Kiri Svara Pagoda, which is situated on the only way leading to the Preah Vihear Temple.

Earlier Monday, Sompong Amornviwat and his Cambodian counterpart Hor Namhong decided to resume both sides' border talks between Oct. 21 and Oct. 24 in Siem Reap province.

In July, tensions ran high after the ancient Preah Vihear Temple was awarded world heritage status by UNESCO, angering nationalists in Thailand who still claim ownership of the site.

The tension later turned into a military confrontation, in which up to 1,000 Cambodian and Thai troops faced off for six weeks. In mid-August, most troops evacuated and just a few dozen soldiers stationed near the temple.

However, bilateral talks to discuss withdrawing troops from around the temple were postponed late August amid political turmoil in Thailand.

In October at the border area, at least one Cambodian soldier and two Thai troops were wounded during an exchange of gunfire, and two other Thai soldiers were seriously injured after stepping on a landmine.

- The Nation / 2008-10-13