Phuket

shiva

I'm moving from the isle of Maui where it is two thirds bigger than Phuket...

Are there enough spots where one can feel private there, or should I explore the islands surrounding it?..I like living in the boonies, yet having access to the city life..Any advice would be appreciated! Or, any other spots more recommended in the southern region.

Jockstar,

Boonies means the sticks.

shiva,

Ten years ago you could but I haven't been there since. Riding a motorcycle through the hills behind Patong was an adventure back then but I've heard that recently this area has been "discovered" by 4-wheel drive people so it might not be so remote anymore.

Dugdig

I am not sure if such a place exists on Phuket , its a fairly expensive place to live all over.

in the slummy areas there are always constant reports about Burmese fishermen turning up dead with large numbers of stab holes in them .

drunken locals might be hazardous to your health

I'm moving from the isle of Maui where it is two thirds bigger than Phuket...

Are there enough spots where one can feel private there, or should I explore the islands surrounding it?..I like living in the boonies, yet having access to the city life..Any advice would be appreciated! Or, any other spots more recommended in the southern region.

Can guarantee the natives on Maui are a lot less friendly than those in Phuket and the cost of living twice as high...