Immunizations

cottonadam

It depends where you are coming from. If it requires a stop in Tokyo suggest you check the weather first and if there are storms in the area you will need a shot or two of vodka or similar. If the weather is nice no need for any shots at all.

Make sure you have all the shots.

We don't want you bringing any nasty diseases over here.

Seriously, none are required, unless you come from a Yellow Fever area?

Just come and enjoy yourself.

Make sure you have all the shots.

We don't want you bringing any nasty diseases over here.

Seriously, none are required, unless you come from a Yellow Fever area?

Just come and enjoy yourself.

Oh and a princely amount of funds is a good prophylactic, as is the soon acquired ability to resist the charms of a bar girl in sales mode :o

If I was going to go camping in the hills where it was likely I'd get bitten alot by mosquitos I'd probably take some doxycycline as a malaria propholactic (please no condom jokes :o ). Doxy is better than the other stuff becasue it doesn't make you crazy. It also has the bes effectiveness for all strains of malaria. Its cheaper than the other stuff and I think you can start taking it the day before you head for the hills...no need to start one or two weeks ahead like the other stuff. Its readily available at drugstores in Thailand and its cheaper here than in the States. I've never needed a prescription to get it and if you need to ask a doctor about the dose and how often to take it you can visit a doctor in Thailand with usually less than a 2 hour wait (no appointment necessary) for about 300 baht or so...maybe less. I think that the other shots are available here too but not sure...if they are its probably cheaper to get them here than the State at least..I don't know about the cost of meds in other parts of farangland.

I've lived in Chiangrai for 3 years in the lowlands and take no immunization stuff.

PS with doxy you need to keep the sun off your skin as it makes your skin a bit photosensitive...effects different people to different degrees...and when I've felt this it is a mild sensation of prickly heat and your skin gets red like you are really sunburned but it goes away in a short while if you remove the sun exposure....sunscreen doesn't help at least it doesn't help me...I don't think it is a serious thing for most people but I'm not a doctor so best check with one.