If You Are Driving A Motorcyle With Sidecar...

Given that sidecars are so rare, there may not even be a law, and if there was I'd guestimate the average rozzer would have no idea, and probably fine you anyway.

Riding in a sidecar on Thai roads - brave is not really the word I'm looking for. Seems like a good way to get squashed by a bus/truck/anything. Apart from the dismal visibility issues, surely a sidecar must dramatically affect top end speed, acceleration, handling, etc - the things that get you out of those far too frequent near misses riding a bike in Thailand. And the added width pretty much removes the main benefit of a bike - the ability to navigate through gridlock traffic. Parking hassles. Sitting at exhaust height. Lots of cons, and not much in the way of pros.

Yeah I know you didn't ask, but given all the above, I'd not only want my passenger/self to wear a good full helmet, I'd want them in full body armour, encapsulated in a roll cage :o

Where did you get it from? How many of these things (any make, model, year) exist in Thailand? I've never seen one here - well apart from the various motorbike powered Thai contraptions around. I've probably only seen a handful of them on the roads anywhere.

Slightly related - there used to be a farang guy (hippy dready type) who rode one of those VERY low down recumbent bicycles - the one's where your butt is a few inches off the ground, legs stretched out in front. I was in a taxi one day that came way too close for comfort - I don't think the driver even saw him. This was on Ratchaprarop Rd (BKK) I think, or one of those far-too-busy-for-a-bicycle 6-plus-lane monster roads. Apart from the massive risks to life and limb, he must have consumed litres of exhaust gas every hour. Yummy.

Edited by guava

Given that sidecars are so rare, there may not even be a law, and if there was I'd guestimate the average rozzer would have no idea, and probably fine you anyway.

Riding in a sidecar on Thai roads - brave is not really the word I'm looking for. Seems like a good way to get squashed by a bus/truck/anything. Apart from the dismal visibility issues, surely a sidecar must dramatically affect top end speed, acceleration, handling, etc - the things that get you out of those far too frequent near misses riding a bike in Thailand. And the added width pretty much removes the main benefit of a bike - the ability to navigate through gridlock traffic. Parking hassles. Sitting at exhaust height. Lots of cons, and not much in the way of pros.

Yeah I know you didn't ask, but given all the above, I'd not only want my passenger/self to wear a good full helmet, I'd want them in full body armour, encapsulated in a roll cage :o

Where did you get it from? How many of these things (any make, model, year) exist in Thailand? I've never seen one here - well apart from the various motorbike powered Thai contraptions around. I've probably only seen a handful of them on the roads anywhere.

Yes I know, dangers aside... there was a post awhile back about a man who was looking for a sidecar for his motorbike and someone responded that he had one and the police said no helmet needed. Could this be true????

And I had the bike restored and built here in thailand from parts from all over thailand and beyond LOL (Took 6 mo) There are hundreds if not thousands of junked Vespas from the old days in yards and wherever... hard to find solid pieces to use though ;-) Other parts are replicated in Italy, India, China and even a few here in Thailand. The sidecar was racing sidecar from a 64 Vespa. I discovered in BKK and had painted to match the bike.

Btw looking for a man in Pattaya for framework repair on the sidecar if anyone knows someone... (Needs a new frame made for the sidecar)

post-17466-1216144643_thumb.jpg

Well Imortal

Just looked at pic and I have to say you have done a First Class job

How much is it worth?

Not that you are thinking of seling it.

But if you were to be offerd Big Baht would you let it go for ?

Just curious

Well Imortal

Just looked at pic and I have to say you have done a First Class job

How much is it worth?

Not that you are thinking of seling it.

But if you were to be offerd Big Baht would you let it go for ?

Just curious

I think I am at about 70,000bht on the bike and 20,000bht so far on the sidecar.... but my time building it.... priceless LOL

It does look pretty slick. Seems you've in-vespa-d a lot in it. OK, not called for.

All you need now is the leather helmet, googles. Get a partner, hire yourselves out as motorbike hitmen crew - you'll run the competition out of town with the fuel savings of one bike over two. :o

Actually I did see a leather covered helmet once in Italian flag colours - possibly cost as much as your bike has though.

On Kho Lanta the taxis are mostly motorbike with local made sidecars.

On the rare occasion when the police have a helmet check, mainly in the high season to get Farangs, the sidecar taxi drivers all wear helmets.

Don’t know if it’s actually the law but that’s how it is there.

:o

It does look pretty slick. Seems you've in-vespa-d a lot in it. OK, not called for.

All you need now is the leather helmet, googles. Get a partner, hire yourselves out as motorbike hitmen crew - you'll run the competition out of town with the fuel savings of one bike over two. :o

Actually I did see a leather covered helmet once in Italian flag colours - possibly cost as much as your bike has though.

Already ahead of you... lol I have two 1950's custom beanie leather moto helmets made for it.. one in black and one in brown ;-)

• 6 months later...

Yes here on Phuket you see al the market stalls on bikes and other rebar fabbed up saleang's.. However a saleang (sidecar) is illegal unless properly licensed as a modified vehicle. Hence uninsured and hence always in the wrong in any accident (if your farang).

Actually, because sidecars have three wheels and are illegal, they never get in accidents, and they jump three meters into the air, sprout wings, and fly away. However, Thai law requires all occupants to wear three point shoulder harness at all times.

huh???three wheels on a sidecar??? Ours has one regular sized wheel.... Harley Road King with a sidecar........sidecar came with safety belt. Not required in U.S., but our sidecar was custom made for using over here. Don't know about here, but states you don't have to wear a helmet in the sidecar. However, no way am I getting on a motorcycle or in a sidecar without one.

I've seen quite a few real side cars around the eastern seaboard......besides the regular scooters jicky jacked with a so-called side car...

That aside, when we ordered the sidecar we thought we would be safer, mainly because my husband is not a big man and a road king is huge..........but, even though we are almost as big as a small car it seems people here think they can treat you like a scooter. I don't know how many times we've either almost been run over or run off the road because someone will pass us with oncoming traffic and we have no place to go. In 2 km from our house to Khao Chee Chan it happened three times. Fortunately the bike has a really loud horn...

Beachbunny

Actually, because sidecars have three wheels and are illegal, they never get in accidents, and they jump three meters into the air, sprout wings, and fly away. However, Thai law requires all occupants to wear three point shoulder harness at all times.

huh???three wheels on a sidecar??? Ours has one regular sized wheel....

ha ha ha.. Female perhaps ??

So the side car has a wheel.. And the bike has how many wheels ??

How many fingers are you now holding up ??

hey dipstick....he said three wheels on the sidecar.......sidecar is NOT a motorcycle no matter what sex you are... if you are any.

hey dipstick....he said three wheels on the sidecar.......sidecar is NOT a motorcycle no matter what sex you are... if you are any.

As I am assuming the sidecar doesnt go out without the motorcycle too often... So how many wheels does your motorcycle and sidecar have ??

You dont even need to take your shoes and socks off for this one luv !! :o