Salvation For 9.5 Million Poor Households

george

There can be a cubic 'anything' and a square 'anything' if the value of 'anything' has a numeric value.

Square litre? You can buy two square litres of milk on Sunday and it will last for a whole week.

>>>>

It's phsychologically important to say "free water and free electricity" and the goal has been achieved - some folks feel good already.

Sidestepping confusing 50 cubic litres per household requirement, the government already calculated the costs - 7.1 bil for 9.5 mil households over six months. Works to about 120 Baht per month for household, or 4 baht per day per family, or, finally, 1 baht per day per person.

Doesn't feel so earth shattering now, does it?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's phsychologically important to say "free water and free electricity" and the goal has been achieved - some folks feel good already.

Sidestepping confusing 50 cubic litres per household requirement, the government already calculated the costs - 7.1 bil for 9.5 mil households over six months. Works to about 120 Baht per month for household, or 4 baht per day per family, or, finally, 1 baht per day per person.

Not such a huge price to pay for a vote eh :o

A lie followed by a truth...

Deputy Commerce Minister Wirun Techapaiboon said in regards to the government’s six measures to assist low-income people, that he does not want the measures to be interpreted as a populist policy. The government only wants to help people in the short term, he says.

- ThaiNews / 17-07-08

Edited by sriracha john

Salvation for the poor

BANGKOK: -- State kicks in nearly Bt50 billion for economic fillip and to help needy make ends meet.

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month.

--Xpress/The Nation 2008-07-16

<deleted> is a cubic litre?

Can't they get journos who understand what they are writing about? Or at least an editor who does?

litre is in the dictionary, mostly British use, they used it properly. <deleted> is a jurnos?

Do British use "cubic litre"? I think with litre, we don't need cubic. Am I right?

Well what a side track that exposed a lot of ignorance about the most popular units of measurement on the planet.

However it is very important that the original journo gets this correct as a [cubic] litre is 1000 times smaller than a cubic metre, so 50 litres of water a month is bugger all and 50 cubic metres is quite a lot possibly more than even an average western family might consume. for the affluent westerners, its the amount in a reasonable sized back yard pool 2m x 6m x 4.1m.

Without meaning to be naive, on my last trip to Thailand I heard many times the financial burden to the average/or below average income persons in relation to transport fees. My question is, what's with all the road tolls?

not sure about journos but there's definitely no such thing as a cubic litre just like no such thing as a square rai. Anyhow, Express writing has always sucked.

Are you a troll or just stupid ?

There can be a cubic 'anything' and a square 'anything' if the value of 'anything' has a numeric value. Tut Tut, You need to be at school ! Not making yourself look silly on public forums.

:o

You might want to take a 25 cubic liter walk to think about it Empty, or cool off in your 100 rai pool before you post. Maybe you're an Xpress writer?

As far as I know, there is no qualification for the assistance. At least, for free water, anyone using less than 50 cubic meters per month can get the assistance regardless of income. That's what they were saying on radio. So due to admistrative inefficiencies so prevalent in many areas of LoS government, the assistance won't be focused where it's needed. Some who need it will get it, which is good. Many more who don't need it will likely take it away from those who do.

So all of the money saved each month by the poor (and perhaps rich alike) will be used to purchase other commodities, thus helping stimulate the economy. Won't this also stimulate a further rise in inflation? Maybe the gov't is attempting to place the economy onto a fast-track to failure.

Salvation for the poor

BANGKOK: -- State kicks in nearly Bt50 billion for economic fillip and to help needy make ends meet.

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month.

--Xpress/The Nation 2008-07-16

<deleted> is a cubic litre?

Can't they get journos who understand what they are writing about? Or at least an editor who does?

litre is in the dictionary, mostly British use, they used it properly. <deleted> is a jurnos?

I think the person meant the use of the word CUBIC with litre :o I've never seen it used in this context before, but have heard the term used eg: cubic dollars for an enormous amount of moola. :D

• 1 month later...

Got my electricity bill today. I'm a poor person, it's official now. Bill should have been 306 baht and I paid 153 for 109 units.

Had no water for the first half of the month, lucky we had rain. Used 2 units (CUBIC Meters!) so will save 10 Baht on that bill

I didn't get my water bill this month. Rang up the water company and the girl said "Government pay". So I'm now officially in a poor household water-wise as I have never used 50 cubic metres of water, not even when I left the tap on all night in the garden. :o

But I'm in a rich household electricity-wise - always around 2,000 baht/month. :D

So I guess I have received 50% salvation. :D

In 1795, the litre was introduced in France as one of the new "Republican Measures", and defined as one cubic decimetre.

On June 19, King Louis XVI of France met with a committee of twelve mathematicians and scientists and approved the development of the metric system.

• 2 weeks later...

The village I stay in is definitely amongst the poorest in Thailand.

Everybody either saved half on the electric or had to pay nothing, so that worked out ok.

Shock - yesterday the water bill arrived, we had used 10 units and so had to pay 50 Baht. When asked why the water was not free this month we were told that the water company isn't government run and so every one had to pay. Are they trying to pull a fast one or is this true? I don't know. I just find it annoying that the rich people in the cities are getting their water free and yet the poor people here have to pay. It is also very strange that he was 2 weeks late reading the meter this month as well, so the bill was for over 6 weeks use. He's never been late reading the meters before.

I also have to wonder how this scheme with the water and electricity works in buildings of multiple occupation where the Landlord pays for the water and electricity and charges the tenants. The individuals usage would probably qualify for the benefit but the total bill would almost certainly be too high.

Edited by loong