Visiting Immigration For Visa Extensions

When approaching an Immigration Officer

- for example to Process your Visa Extension

is it a good idea to give him or her a "Wai" ??

I do NOT!

What is your take on this?

Bill

Showing him some respect and courtesy will never do your case any harm. It can only help.

I do Wai.

I do NOT!

Bill

NOT a good start.

I do NOT!

Bill

Showing him some respect and courtesy will never do your case any harm. It can only help.

I do Wai.

Hi Lite Beer,

So are you sure that the "Wai" you give does in fact show respect and courtesy?

It would be interesting to have one of our Thai Friends here give THEIR advice.

Bill

I don't wai, since I have tried, and did not feel that it was appreciated. I even came away feeling it was not right (I might have done it wrongly). I also have a feeling that it can be seen as "brown-nosing" to overdo the waiing bit.

To wai is not natural for most foreigners, and Immigration do not expect you to wai them. But they do expect you to present yourself properly and act in a low key way, and show general respect. I find more often than not that whilst I greet them in Thai, I am greeted in English by them.

I would also not recommend bringing your Thai better half (except for marriage extension of course). Usually they are not needed nor wanted, and can sometimes make a situation worse rather than better. If they start arguing with the officer on your behalf, your case may be more difficult to deal with later. In case of trouble just do as they say, regroup and get/correct whatever is missing, and go back later.

Your mileage may of course differ, and I do not want to go into a long discussion about this, it is only my opinion. Take it for what it is.

I do NOT!

Bill

I do Wai.

Hi Lite Beer,

Bill

Yes 100%. I want to stay here. Yes I probably do it wrong . But they know I have tried.

Up to you what you do.

Edited by Lite Beer

I do NOT!

Bill

I do Wai.

Hi Lite Beer,

Bill

Yes 100%. I want to stay here. Yes I probably do it wrong . But they know I have tried.

Up to you what you do.

Well that is why I do not Wai - cos I cannot be sure to do it correct.

My thoughts are better not to Wai than to do it wrongly.

I am trying to learn the Protocol.

It is not just the way the Wai is done.

I understand that Age is a Factor.

I am told that you should not Initiate a Wai to someone Younger.

For an elderly man to Wai a younger woman - would be to insinuate

she looks old?

But I am here to Learn.

Nice if one of our Thai Members could contribute

But perhaps its tooo much of a MineField to try to explain?

Bill

I understand that Age is a Factor.

I am told that you should not Initiate a Wai to someone Younger.

This is correct.

Much better to behave like a polite farang, rather than a wannabe Thai.

If you are fluent in Thai and meet the senior officer of the post, a Wai may be in order,

to acknowledge his position. Then follow up with a few polite phrases in Thai.

Other wise leave the Wai-ing to your Thai partner.

I always smile and speak "sawatdee khrap".

Just treat them with respect and courtesy......never lose your cool with them even if they are giving you a torrid time with your documentation !

Also I think a smart appearance helps as well.

Just treat them with respect and courtesy......never lose your cool with them even if they are giving you a torrid time with your documentation !

Definitely appearance is the most important factor. First impressions count for a lot and if you arrive dressed for the beach you are insulting the immigration office and its officers. There is actually a notice in the Jomtien immigration office making this point. Beyond this normal politeness suffices.

Definitely appearance is the most important factor. First impressions count for a lot and if you arrive dressed for the beach you are insulting the immigration office and its officers. There is actually a notice in the Jomtien immigration office making this point. Beyond this normal politeness suffices.

Agreed - good advice. I dress and act as if I am going for a job interview in the UK. Except I dont wear a tie.

I was advised by my Thai language teacher never to Wai at Immigration, a polite nod and Sawadee Krap is sufficient.

For the annual visa extension (based on marriage) I say nothing unless I am asked and then I reply in Thai without making any jokes or 'clever' comments.

I also make sure all my paperwork is neat and in order and give the Immigration Official (usually the same one we have each year) who 'interrogates' me - a small gift of some coffee. Nothing too large. Certainly never money.

I dont know about you, but I hate going to Immigration - I would prefer a trip to the dentist - mind you I hate going to the dentist as well! :o

I do NOT!

Bill

NOT a good start.

Hi Pushit

Most replies do not share your views !!!

I have seen several other posts where Visa Extension applicants include

a "Respectful" Wai in their List of things to do.

But never seen any Member / Moderator challenge the Wisdom of such action.

Despite many being Married to a Thai Citizen. !!!

Bill

From my observations at Jomtien, it doesn't seem to matter much how people are dressed. To my amazement, I've seen a lot of guys with sleeveless t-shirts or tank tops with tattoos and wearing flip-flops being served.

From my observations at Jomtien, it doesn't seem to matter much how people are dressed. To my amazement, I've seen a lot of guys with sleeveless t-shirts or tank tops with tattoos and wearing flip-flops being served.

I have seen that as well. For 90 day reporting it seems almost 'reasonable' - quick in and out. But for an annual visa extension - it seems a bit off.

Worse than that from my point of view, those seats are very close together and despite the air conditioning, these guys seem to have a lot of 'spare' sweat that rubs off on people sitting next to them - I tend to stand up nowadays to avoid this particular 'water torture'.

Edited by dsfbrit

I too was very surprised to see this at Jomtien.Not sure how it effects those individuals particular cases,

but I dress smartly just to be on the safe side. I too do not wai.Simply nod smiling and Sawaddee Kup.

That's what I always do. Never had any problems with Thai officialdom by adhering to the following rules:

1) Dress smartly. Asians in general despise scruffiness

2) Speak slowly and clearly

3) Always be polite, respectful and cheerful

4) Sit down. Don't stand over the person to whom you are talking. Bow your head slightly when walking past people who are seated

5) Avoid boorishness at all costs

6) Always be patient. Show understanding for the fact that person you are dealing with cannot change the rules just for you, no matter how onerous the rules may seem and no matter how much running around you have to do

7) If possible, befriend the person who is dealing with your case, so that they can coach you through the process. Sometimes they will even give you a cell phone number so that you can follow up with them directly and save wasted return visits

8) Learn to speak Thai if you intend living here. It makes communication MUCH simpler

Waiing should follow the normal rules of waiing, and need not be initiated when meeting a clerk of junior years, as pointed out elsewhere in this thread.

Cheers