Buddhist Lent Day Designated As Thailand’s "no Alcohol Day"

george

And that has nothing to do with the point that ANY restrictions upon people based on faith, especially when placed on people of other faiths, that is restricting their freedom is a bad thing.

Would you care to name ANY country that doesnt impose SOME restrictions upon faith, it that faith breaks the laws of that country?

For example, you think Rastafarians can practice the use of marijuana in countries where it's illegal? No!

Legal polygamy by practicers of Mormonism. Allowed in the west or not? No! (Legal as in you can get multiple, concurrent marriage certificates)

The slaughtering of animals in Hindu temples. Allowed or not in the west? No !

Inciting violence to believers of other religions. Nada - not allowed.

There are a whole plethora of none christian religious practices which are just not allowed in the west. (often originating on countries that have far stronger controls on other religions too)

So what you now appear to be saying is that Thailand should not be free to have a few alcohol free Buddhist days because it may impinge upon the freedom of choice of others?

Dear oh dear.

Please Emperor Tawp - enlighten us all as to where this Garden of Eden where one can please oneself, lies.

Can i book a ticket there, or is it just in your mind?

The fact is, 'most' countries have a 'national' religion. (I know Thailand's isnt officially actually Budhism though) and if YOUR religion goes against the law of the land, which has often been shaped by religion, then you re free to <deleted> off somewhere else! That's true freedom, my friend.

Addition: For todays lunch the staff [of the restaurant] informed us that 'in accordance to the law' (sic) no alcohol is sold 'today'(sic) but 'we can sell it after 4 again'(sic). Just a funny observation. I had coke, as always.

Perhaps you should try alcohol instead of snorting coke!

Edited by markg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that has nothing to do with the point that ANY restrictions upon people based on faith, especially when placed on people of other faiths, that is restricting their freedom is a bad thing.

Would you care to name ANY country that doesnt impose SOME restrictions upon faith, it that faith breaks the laws of that country?

I'm not sure why you seem to have problems comprehending the point, perhaps you need to get it checked out.

I was stating the opposite. Not that countries cannot impose limitations on people of faith, but that faith based limitations shouldn't be imposed on people outside that faith.

For example, drinking is legal here. It's therefor a free mans option to drink if he so chooses. To ban it during special days due to religion for the majority is imposing it on the minority.

Murdering someone can never be allowed since it goes against your freedom of not being imposed by violence from others.

One day you will figure it out...

Addition: For todays lunch the staff [of the restaurant] informed us that 'in accordance to the law' (sic) no alcohol is sold 'today'(sic) but 'we can sell it after 4 again'(sic). Just a funny observation. I had coke, as always.

Perhaps you should try alcohol instead of snorting coke!

Ah, yes, more flames from the trolls...

And i ask again - where is this country that you dream about where the views of the minority are taken into consideration against the majority?

It's clearly not Thailand. What a terrible country this is to impose such things. How dare they have these Buddhist holidays when i've come here to have a drink. I bought my Singha vest and i wanna drink.

I assume you'd support someone exercising their right to remain seated in the cinema when the national anthem plays. As their right as a freeman, they are of course perfectly in order to remain seated.

Particularly if they are a farang with no idea of their host country's culture, customs and practices.

Well, I was out last night and having a drink and will be tonight also.

Granted most places were shut but there is always the odd one open. Simply a case of looking, or having some inside info.

The Thai friend I was with got a call from an old school friend - a policeman of all people - asking where was open LOL.

Restrictions? I remember there being many restrictions on pubs, clubs, shops, offie's and numerous other establishments being closed.

Now, even on Christmas Day you can go to the supermarket in the UK and I feel that is a sad indictment on our society. So, good on the Thai's for placing these restrictions. Maybe helps to keep some sense of value in society.

And i ask again - where is this country that you dream about where the views of the minority are taken into consideration against the majority?

It's clearly not Thailand. What a terrible country this is to impose such things. How dare they have these Buddhist holidays when i've come here to have a drink. I bought my Singha vest and i wanna drink.

I assume you'd support someone exercising their right to remain seated in the cinema when the national anthem plays. As their right as a freeman, they are of course perfectly in order to remain seated.

Particularly if they are a farang with no idea of their host country's culture, customs and practices.

In Sweden there for example isn't any days a normal biz cannot be open due to religious holidays. In the same in other Scandinavian and European countries. That you think it's ok or should be the norm to impose religious beliefs on non-believers in the matters of this is absurd. But then again, most people in the world are...

Of course I would support a persons right to be seated. As is the right in [most] western countries. What is wrong with you?

It's being hailed as such a success, maybe more alcohol bans in the near future.

Alarming accident figures during the Songkran holiday early this year prompted Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamrung to float the idea of banning the sale of alcohol during all national festivals, drawing a furious response from drinkers.

But the idea was latched on to by Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin. He took it up and ordered his staff to conduct a poll from April 25 to May 9 to find out what people would think if alcohol sales were banned on New Year's Day and during the Songkran festival.

The poll surveyed 21,834 people in Bangkok and surrounding areas. Of these, 19,921 were asked to fill in questionnaires, 47 posted their opinions on the issue in the BMA's website and 1,866 voiced their views on public service radio stations Jor Sor 100 and Sor Wor Por 91.

It found 75% agreed that alcohol sales should be banned on New Year's Day and during Songkran. Some 58% said the ban should cover all festivals while 77% believed the ban would help cut accident and crime rates.

Alcohol Restrictions

Sigh! I remember the days when this was such a relaxed and fun-loving country. Now all they think about is alcohol bans, regulations, restrictions on everything.

If they want to amend the constitution, how about a provision wherein all such things require a debate and vote in the full parliament as opposed to being enacted by fiat of the Cabinet or even just a ministry - far more helpful than amending it simply to protect the wealth of a small group of former politicians.

All the above posts seem to have been submitted before the sun sank beneath the yardarm on the relevant day 18 July (see George's original post). I've been away from the computer up in Isaan with my Thai fiancee so didn't know about 18th being alcohol free. My fiancee doesn't drink but it doesn't bother her if I do because I am strict about the yardarm rule (and because she displays the positive side of Thai tolerance). So when I availed myself of the opportunity of getting a decent glass of wine she never said a thing. Maybe it helped that we were in a quiet discreet commercial establishment.

• 2 weeks later...