Nakhon Nayok

English Noodles

My girlfriend and i are thinking of going to Nakhon Nayok for a few days sometime in the next couple of weeks.

We would like, if possible to go canoeing down the river in the National park, I have looked around and found that the Sarika Canoe Club can help us do this.

We are not sure but we believe there are some bungalows in the park you can stay in aswell as the option of camping, I would not mind doing the latter though my girlfriend is not so keen.

Has anyone been there and stayed overnight or even done some canoeing there?

Also we will be taking the car there and are unsure of the best enterance to go to get access to the river.

Anyone with any knowledge about this whom could give me a few pointers, then your advice would be very very welcome.

Many thanks, Noodles.

Pointer #1

If you are not a fan of Thai music blasting out at full volume from every second pick-up in the area then avoid going there between noon on Friday and Sunday evening. :o

No problem at all about access to the river. Just drive into the park and the road runs along both sides. We approached it on #305 which if you're coming from Bangkok is probably the road you will be using from Rangsit. Plenty of food outlets around and l think l saw places to stay but can't give you any details as it's only a daytrip for me.

Been there but it was a long time ago,yes I do believe you can rent a bungalow to stay overnight. Never seen anyone doing the canoe thingy there but the waterfall is very rapid. I got in the water trying to cross to the otherside and nearly got swept away. Bear in mind that if you go just after the moonsoon season or rain then it might even get worse. There was a few fatal accident happened there too. Don't think any of us here want to read the news about a farang's accident in Nakon Nayok,do we? :o

Out of nearly 14000 members of the forum, i would just like to thank the 18 members who viewed this post, thanks again.

Noodles.

To date ....... 25

Sarcasm always helps when one is asking for assistance

:o

Sorry, feeling a bit bolshy!

The Sarika Canoe Association organises "Rafting" and Canoeing trips on the Mae Nam Nakorn Nayok, which is on the Southern edge of the area and I do not believe the part of the river they operate on is actually in the Khao Yai National Park.

There are now two ways of accessing the Park, the old road which runs from the Pakchong (Northern) side of the Park - Thanarat Road - is by far the most picturesque and interesting way to get into the Park.

Unfortunately about 10 - 15 years ago a new Road was ripped through from the Nakorn Nayok / Prachinburi (Southern) side to meet up with the old road near the old TOT Bungalows on the top of Khao Yai. This was a truly dreadful "development"; the road was cut with wide, completely unnecessary, verges on either side through previously undisturbed forest (of course the needlessly felled trees were sold by the “developer”) and as such has seriously disturbed the migratory and feeding patterns of many of the local species, plus opened up previously fairly inaccessible area to poachers and illegal loggers.

Anyway, sorry again, I digress!

You can contact the Sarika Canoe Association at TAT's Central region 8 (Nakhon Nayok) (037) 312-282, 312-284 and Sea Sport Co., Ltd., Bangkok at (02) 316-9150, 316-9382 and Sarika Canoe club (01) 451-8830.

The best time for Rafting / Canoeing is in the rainy season (June / October), after then the waters are disappointingly low and slow.

As for accommodation in the Park, some time ago overnight stays were banned - TOT / Forestry Department had some very nice Bungalows on Khao Yai but the local idea of a quiet evening watching Deer etc. also included loud music and bonfires so the Bungalows were, thankfully, eventually closed - I am not at all sure if they have now been re-opened, similarly there used to be Camping Sites there which were also closed for the same reason.

You might try contacting TOT (see above) to find out the current situation.

Sida Resort

Not been myself so cannot recommend..  :o

totster  :D

I have been there myself and I wouldn't recommend :D

Went there a few months ago with work and it didn't live up to the photos on the website - looked like the photos were taken when it was renovated but I'm surprised they had colour film in those days... The swimming pool was a funny murky colour... I think it was cheap though.

Nakhon Nayok area was nice though - beautiful countryside. We did white-water rafting but it was all arranged through Sida Resort so I can't help with any details on that...