Nongkhai Immigration

Remember my posting Immigration meet foreigners?

I would like to add a remarkeble change/upgrade in attitude from the office in NongKhai

Let me point out that I personally had never had any problem whatsoever with immigration in NongKhai,in due years they have been strict but always far and most importent they implamented the law.

From what i have heard first hand from fellow residents in NongKhai is that there has been a change in attitude, (as far as they concern) in handling their casus.

Open and fair instead of strict and fair.

We all wish that this trend will contineu for as long as it can last.

HGMA

I'm up there Monday next for my 90 day reporting. I'll report back here.

Last time I was the only person in the office. She made me sit there for 10 minutes and then beckoned me like you would a dog. She ignored my 'Satwadi khrap' and did the paperwork, stapled the slip in my passport and threw it on the table in front of me and walked off. Charming.

I'm up there Monday next for my 90 day reporting. I'll report back here.

Last time I was the only person in the office. She made me sit there for 10 minutes and then beckoned me like you would a dog. She ignored my 'Satwadi khrap' and did the paperwork, stapled the slip in my passport and threw it on the table in front of me and walked off. Charming.

And you are thinking of going back? :o

I am afraid I will have no other choice than to renew my retirement extension next January (which I always did at Soi Suan Phlu) seems you MUST renew at your nearest immigration office from 2008 onwards?

Dogs indeed get better treatment in my experience there, ref my last 90 days report.

Living in Khon Kaen, Nong Khai is my 'local' office. I have to go there in a couple of months for my visa extension thereafter I'm doing my 90 day reporting by post to Korat.

Why not do the extension at Korat? I do.

Much more pleasant.

Lite Beer, it seems odd that Nong Khai is the 'local' office for Khon Kaen residents as you have to go through another province, Udon Thani, to get there. Whereas Korat is the next province to Khon Kaen.

I did my 90 day report today. She was just the same, surly with a fringe on top. She was on her mobile phone all the time she processed my paperwork. Didn't acknowledge my 'Satwasdi khrap' nor my 'Khop khun khrap' after. Efficient, I suppose, but ignorant to the point of rudeness.

However, I was pleasantly surprised that the office was not busy despite being closed for two days beforehand. I was in and out in ten minutes. My next 90 day report coincides with my visa extension. Thereafter it's 90 day by post to Korat.

Ta sa det market by the river was near enough deserted. Many shops were closed and the ones that were open had no customers. There were more beggars than farangs in sight.

Living in Khon Kaen, Nong Khai is my 'local' office. I have to go there in a couple of months for my visa extension thereafter I'm doing my 90 day reporting by post to Korat.

Much more pleasant.

Seems we are forever having opinions posted by members who do not use N.Khai and listen to comments made by third parties who in the main usuallly cause most of the bad feeling that happens ect.

We don,t need to go into detail as i and many others have frequently posted about the more positive experiences we have constantly received over several years.

Nong Khai is, so long as you respect the office and the hard work it,s officers put into going the extra yard, assisting visitors and yourselves is highly recommended, from my perspective.

Unfortunately if you happen to follow one of the less sociable visitors who expect and demand everything and give mega attitude, then have a little understanding, especially with the language situation, as this causes so many of the problems and the consequent frustrations that usually follow.

We are all human after all, are we not. ( not a sarcastic comment by the way )

IMHO as always

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Much more pleasant.

I am not concerned with extensions.

Lite Beer, may I ask you why have you not yet tried Mukda Han, the other pain in NorthEast, which to me seems closer that Korat? And second, have you done your extensions always in Korat, i.e your personal file was there right from the beginning?

Much more pleasant.

I am not concerned with extensions.

Lite Beer, may I ask you why have you not yet tried Mukda Han, the other pain in NorthEast, which to me seems closer that Korat? And second, have you done your extensions always in Korat, i.e your personal file was there right from the beginning?

No. I used to deal with Samui as I lived there.

When I came to Khon Kaen I went strait to Korat. Mainly because of posts on here and the local Khon Kaen forum.

Also I have a friend who dealt with Nong Kai. From what I can gather they are appaling.

I have found Korat so helpful and friendly as it should be.

If Korat closed I would go anywhere before I had to go to Nong Kai.

Edited by Lite Beer

From what i have heard first hand from fellow residents in NongKhai is that there has been a change in attitude, (as far as they concern) in handling their casus.

Open and fair instead of strict and fair.

We all wish that this trend will contineu for as long as it can last.

HGMA

I also come under the control of Nong Khai Immigration. Hmmm, "strict and fair"? My impression is "almost rude and not helpful".

I have a work permit and have on two separate occasions been into Nong Khai Immigration office to request for an extension to my Non-B visa (they should send it to BKK to Immig there to check tax paid, etc, then it should come approved - as in previous employment).

Twice now I've requested (politely too) and on both occasions been told "Go to Laos", (and both times) the officer pointing at the bridge down the road and (almost) chucking my passport back at me.

So for nearly two years in this job, I have to go to the Thai consulate in Vientiane every three months and request another Non-B visa.

(Last time I counted how many times I needed to sign my name on the 35+ pieces of paper (not forms) I have to supply to get the visa and to extend my WP - 50 times!)

Someone involved in helping the Thai police with translation told me he went to a meeting where the head of NK Immigration was addressing a group of foreign police volunteers and he (apparently) said that "Our job is not to help foreigners, but to control them."

Judging on my experience there, I can very well believe that, sadly.

Any comments?

Ewan

Someone involved in helping the Thai police with translation told me he went to a meeting where the head of NK Immigration was addressing a group of foreign police volunteers and he (apparently) said that "Our job is not to help foreigners, but to control them."

Judging on my experience there, I can very well believe that, sadly.

Any comments?

Ewan

My only comment is not to take it personally. After working for the Thai civil service for 3 years the 'control' factor is a common trait of just about all older public servants. The concept of service provision has creeped into many areas, but it is going to take time.

Lite Beer, it seems odd that Nong Khai is the 'local' office for Khon Kaen residents as you have to go through another province, Udon Thani, to get there. Whereas Korat is the next province to Khon Kaen.

Nong Kai may be a few K nearer but it takes longer to get there as you have to go through Udon.

Khon Kaen to Korat is a straight road.

I admit that I have never dealt with NK . I did go there once with a friend who was doing his 90 day report and was not too impressed with the atmosphere.

At the Korat office you get a smile and a hello. There is even a little waterfall feature in the room.

All cosmetic I know, but it does make for a pleasant time.