Microdermabrasion Questions

RueFang

Hi..I'm interested in getting microdermabrasion done while I'm in Bangkok for a few days. Can anyone tell me their experience with this procedure?

Where to go? Dermatologist clinic or hospital?

Can I just walk in to an appointment?

How much for the treatment?

Is it a one off procedure?

How long does it take?

Do you leave looking like a beetroot?

What does it feel like?

Is it effective in evening out skin tone, fine lines, pore reduction, etc?

Thanks for any info, muchly appreciated!

Ive never had it rue (but ive done other things for my skin for some scarring i have, so ive looked into a lot of different procedures in detail), but just one word of caution..its all about the skills of the person using it rather than the dermabration itself. Make sure you research the qualifications, skill level and experience of the person who you go to. That way you should get the best care as well the best results for your money. Maybe one of the ladies here know of a good place to recommend, sorry i cant help on that front. Good luck :o

Microdermabrasion is very effective at evening out skin tone indeed and it is commonly performed to lighten dark spots on the skin. However, you need to be aware that there are recorded instances of people who have had their dark spots actually get more obvious over time. This applies to freckles, etc. I have known several people who have been affected by this.

Usually microdermabrasion is performed by putting fine crystals onto the face which help with exfoliating. Some clinics also use diamond head machines which do not require crystals. The end result is a much smoother complexion but in some patients, as mentioned, dark spots have actually got worse over the long term as a result of microdermabrasion.

Each session takes only 30-45 mins and is painless. The cost varies depending on where you go, from 5000 to 25,000 baht in total, depending on how many treatments you require. It is recommended that you have between 5 and 10 sessions depending on the individual, to achieve an optimum result.

I would suggest contacting the Bangkok Laser Center which has a branch in Siam Square on 02-658-4884. Hydrohealth (who also do colon flush) also provide microdermabrasion at 2500 baht per session. They are located in the Erawan complex at Chitlom. Ph: 02-250-7800.

Edited by youngkiwi

Thanks so much for that detailed info youngkiwi, very much appreciate it :o . Makes me think twice about it now though re the dark spots but I will look into it when I'm up in Bangkok.

Eek, thanks also...do you mind telling what procedures you've had done or the dermatologist you went to? Perhaps on PM if not on the forum??! :D

np.

Co2 laser about 5 year ago in UK (dont recommend this tho', quite scary and a lot of downtime. Today people go for Fraxel instead).

Tried Dermaroller in Bangkok (Dr. Wicharu, St Louis Hospital) about a year and a half ago. Did about 4 treatments, spaced 2 weeks apart. Im sure with repeated treatments I would see some remodelling and skin texture improvement, but I got fed up worrying about it, so stopped.

Im not so interesting anymore about having treatments done, but still read up on information about skin treatments on a forum. Not really much info there to help you, sorry.

Hi Rue,

I've never had microdermabrasion done, sounds like youngkiwi knows her stuff! :o As a comparison, you might also want to compare prices to those young kiwi has listed with 'Apex' at Emporium 02 664 8613.

I second Eek - the skill and knowledge of the person doing the treatment is often for me the number one criteria! :D As very often, you may initially see the Doctor for a consultation but it will be the nurse who will perform the treatment! :D

My neighbour also goes to see Dr Wicharu at St Louis Hospital and recommends him (according to her, one of the Princesses also goes to see him too). However, she has laser treatment (NOT microdermabrasion) and although the actual treatment is not expensive, the Swiss branded medicine they give you afterwards to put on your face IS VERY expensive! Just my 2 pennorthworth of input!

BTW, a word of caution, they do say after any laser/facial treatment here (I would presume microdermabrasion too!), afterwards you should avoid the sun as much as possible as your skin will be very vulnerable. So, remember your sunblock and be a dainty lady with your umbrella and sunglasses for a few days :D

Let us know how you get on and Good Luck!!

Andiamo, my sister had the laser treatment a few months ago. She showed me photos. OMG :o

She looked like a burn victim from some nuclear holocaust. Got to say tho, once it healed, her skin is ten times better.

:o Yes, my neighbour and a couple of Thai friends have all had this 'burning' type of laser treatment.... :D For one week-10 days they look terrible, but afterwards they were all really happy with their skin.

Mmm not sure I have the guts to do this as I wouldn't want my face actually 'burned' with laser... Although maybe I am just 'nesh' as our Scottish friends say! :D

Thanks Eek and Andiamo for the extra info. That laser treatment sounds full on!! I just wanted some sort of treatment to even out my skin tone as I have dark spots (from old healed pimples)..not scarring but discolouration and heard that microdermabrasion is effective for this.

Does anyone know of any creams or other self treatment that would also effective?