Pc Webcams

udon

hi'

did you take a look at Logitech's products, they are usualy of a good value.

cheers

francois

Not yet mon ami, what spec should I look for at Logitech, I'm computer illitrit and can't spell ilitrit :o

I should mention that the Dlink model went for 900b, 750b in some places in LoS

Less than in the U.S.

Quality of transmission/picture, was superb and I only have a dialup connection.... if that matters.

Edited by udon

If quality is your main concern.... I use one of those mini security cameras you see a lot at panthip and plug it into my capture card. I ditched my Logitech as it was too fussy about the lighting. Maybe the more expensive webcams are better now these day????

If you have a notebook/laptop and are thinking of

getting the Logitech Notebook Pro Webcam .....

It is nice as it hooks on the top of the screen.

But it has two problems ..

1/ You better remember to remove it when you close

the screen to the case as it is not attached but just

hangs there.

2/ It has a software bug such that the camera always turns

on when coming out of standby mode. Since the camera runs

pretty hot, it is best to turn it off when not using it. But

there is no software setting anywhere to do this. I called them

but they have no solution in sight.

FYI .....

Hi kabal1234,

Sounds like a good idea.

Can you remember the price and model?

For capture cards hauppauge and pinnacle seem to be quite good... I just use an el cheapo dynalink card and it works fine. S-video in for digital television and composite in for the camera.

There are so many cameras available you just have to choose one that suits your purpose. I have one of the cheaper ones and it works fine.

Webcams,

For what do you want to buy one, for some chatting with live video? You are happy with the low-cost models available at Panthip and other shopping centers.

I use a Genius WebCam NB (cost 700Bht) this webcam works fine with all chat programs I can think of. Also it has impressive operating system support, so was it not that difficult to get it working with my Linux computer.

I have also experience with the D-Link webcams, they work pretty good, maybe even a bit better then the Genius Webcam NB (D-Link has a better construction). Work also with all chat programs I know….(maybe need a driver update)

Logitech webcams are expensive for the quality they deliver, the only good once are priced around +3000Bht everything below that have less quality the most no-name brand name manufacturers.

With kind regards,

Richard

Another option is to use your camcorder as a webcam. Most modern camcorders support direct connection to the computer and use as a webcam through the USB port. For other camcorders that don't support the webcam function, you can attach them to an AV capture card and get good quality.

Another option is to use your camcorder as a webcam.  Most modern camcorders support direct connection to the computer and use as a webcam through the USB port.  For other camcorders that don't support the webcam function, you can attach them to an AV capture card and get good quality.

Hi Firefoxx.

Good point, I no longer have a camcorder but I did see my local Arab netcafe owner using a small digital camera doing the same as you described , to keep an eye on young thieves who inhabit his net cafe.

Any idea of the name of the software available to do this?

I have a vintage Canon S10 I may be able to use in this manner. (as a webcam)

cheers! :o

Hi RDN.

How much $ and are you pleased with it?

I was hoping you wouldn't ask that because I can't remember and can't find the receipt. But I know it was a lot less then the Logitech one - which is what I was originally going to buy - and the reviews I found for it were very good. So I went back to the shop (the first visit was just to get prices) and bought the D-Link. I think it was something like 1200 baht and the Logitech was 1900, but I can't be sure.

As for performance, it gives a good picture on my PC locally - and my PC is an old lap-top with only a USB 1.1 port. But I don't know what quality picture it transmits across the net.

Many digital camcorders are able to do this, but not that many digital cameras. If it supported this feature (camcorer or camera) there would be software provided.

With a camcorder, you also have the option of connecting to a video-in card, but this doesn't work with a digital camera.

Personally, I prefer the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 if you're just looking at a webcam that plugs into a USB port. It's quite a bit more expensive (more than 3,000 baht), but is CCD rather than CMOS and is the same resolution. It's also a little harder to find than the low-end Logitech QuickCams (which are CMOS).

Other than the sensor type, the cameras seem to have virtually the same spec, and even look VERY similar.

The best webcam though is a proper video camera/camcorder, as the optics are a lot better than any webcam on the market. But it's only a cheap option if you already have one lying around. (If it's a DV camera, you won't even need a capture card, just a spare firewire port and webcamDV software.)

Another option is to use your camcorder as a webcam. Most modern camcorders support direct connection to the computer and use as a webcam through the USB port. For other camcorders that don't support the webcam function, you can attach them to an AV capture card and get good quality.

Exactly how would I configure that? I have the Video Capture Card and I have a Sony Camcorder but cannot configure the two to run that way. Any ideas?

The video capture card has to be a "video-in" catpure card, with an AV jack, not a firewire/DV capture card with a firewire jack. In your video capture software, you need to set the resolution and color to something supported by video conferencing software, usually "QV". Fiddle with the settings until you can get something that works.

The video capture card has to be a "video-in" catpure card, with an AV jack, not a firewire/DV capture card with a firewire jack.  In your video capture software, you need to set the resolution and color to something supported by video conferencing software, usually "QV".  Fiddle with the settings until you can get something that works.

You can use firewire - but only if you get additional software to fool the PC into thinking the camcorder is a firewire webcam. (webcamDV from Orangeware is the software I've seen a review of).

You can download a trial version from their website http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/webcamdv.html to check if it's compatible with your camera/camcorder.