Accommodation In Khun Yuam

lightstar

Hi all,

am thinking of doing the MHS loop from Chiang Mai, and would like to break up the journey from MHS to Mae Chaem, by staying overnight in Khun Yuam.

Anyone know what accommodation options are avaiable there (google search didn't bring anything up).

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Yes - Baan Farang (I kid you not) is great and just outside Khun Yuam (north side). 053 622085/6

The address is given as 250-300 29/5 Ratiburana - but you're best looking for the sign pointing to "Baan Farang" which is just down a short soi descending to the left of the highway going north from Khun Yuam to Mae Hong Son town. Or just ask for the place.

Given my schedule, I only stayed one night but wish I could have stayed longer - and certainly plan to return. The rooms (about 15 of them, I guess?) are in a row overlooking a quiet valley. Choice of fan or aircon. The place is very well run and friendly - nice garden.

As it happens I didn't eat there but I would think the food is fine. About 10-15 minutes stroll down the hill into town you'll find a couple of small roadside eating places on your right (i.e. same side of the highway as Baan Farang). Great food and cheap.

If you have time, spend an hour or two at the Japanese War Memorial and museum. Fascinating photographs and equipment from the years that Japanese troops were stationed there - and you can watch a short video about it. For those of us brought up on only the western version of history, it offers a startling contrast of ordinary Japanese soldiers being like most soldiers everywhere...........

Edited by Steve2UK

My son and I did the MHS loop on motorcycle last summer and stopped for lunch at Baan Farang. The Farang owner was not in but we had a good time chatting with his mother-in-law. The food was good. I would recommend departing Khun Yuam in the afternoon for Mae Chaem, on the newer road just north of Khun Yuam, when the sun is behind you and getting lower, arriving in Mae Chaem at dusk. The drive is spectacular.

My son and I did the MHS loop on motorcycle last summer and stopped for lunch at Baan Farang. The Farang owner was not in but we had a good time chatting with his mother-in-law. The food was good. I would recommend departing Khun Yuam in the afternoon for Mae Chaem, on the newer road just north of Khun Yuam, when the sun is behind you and getting lower, arriving in Mae Chaem at dusk. The drive is spectacular.

The farang owner died a few years ago. His Thai family continue to operate the place.

Stopped in at Baan Farang for lunch three weeks ago, but they didn't have anyone to cook so we motored onward. Very, very quiet! Didn't look like there was much to do in town, but we did find some good eats. I'd recommend going all the way to MHS where there are great places to stay and lots more to do.

I was going to post the same as the above earlier.

I stayed in Mae Sariang, then motored straight through to MHS (I was traveling clockwise).

Khun Yuam is a perfect gas/lunch stop, but I agree with the above post that MHS is the place to spend some time.

Can't wait for the rain to end, so I can ride back... :o

Thanks for the thoughts...! Much appricated! :o

Is it possible to drive from to Doi Inthanon to MHS in a day, comfortably? I'm only on a small bike and don't drive fast...

If so I might skip Khan Yuam and drive straight through to MHS...

Also, as an aside, other than paying park fees for Doi Inthanon... where I plan to stay the night... will there be other park fees for driving the loop?

thanks.