Singapore Hotel Recommendations?

Righty we are stopping over for a couple of nights in Singers and want peoples recommendations on a hotel situated near to Orchard Road or slap bang next to an MRT station on the North South line.

Last time we stayed at the Swissotel Merchant Court and for just under US$200 per night I was distinctly unimpressed, small room, tiny bathroom and poor service. However when I read review sites this place regularly up at the top . . . hence why I get slightly confused about what is good and not. When I first travelled to Singers I stay at a turn up and hope hotel (does not take bookings) not far from the Mustapha centre and the room was bigger, just as clean and equally equiped as the Swissotel but only cost about US$60 per night! However it's a bit away from the centre and a hotel that does not taking bookings isn't somewhere I would to consider with my wife and baby in tow.

I want a good hotel with decent facilities and will pay upto US$250 per night. I know there is numerous places in and around this price bracket but I want some recommendations from SE expats who have stayed in them with honest opinions not starry eyed holiday tourists who think any hotel with a pool is good!

I've looked about and the Naumi looks very nice (and is leading the thoughts) but then for nearly US$100 less there is the Rendezvous which looks decent enough.

So shoot . .. . where would/do you stay?

:o

Righty we are stopping over for a couple of nights in Singers and want peoples recommendations on a hotel situated near to Orchard Road or slap bang next to an MRT station on the North South line.

Last time we stayed at the Swissotel Merchant Court and for just under US$200 per night I was distinctly unimpressed, small room, tiny bathroom and poor service. However when I read review sites this place regularly up at the top . . . hence why I get slightly confused about what is good and not. When I first travelled to Singers I stay at a turn up and hope hotel (does not take bookings) not far from the Mustapha centre and the room was bigger, just as clean and equally equiped as the Swissotel but only cost about US$60 per night! However it's a bit away from the centre and a hotel that does not taking bookings isn't somewhere I would to consider with my wife and baby in tow.

I want a good hotel with decent facilities and will pay upto US$250 per night. I know there is numerous places in and around this price bracket but I want some recommendations from SE expats who have stayed in them with honest opinions not starry eyed holiday tourists who think any hotel with a pool is good!

I've looked about and the Naumi looks very nice (and is leading the thoughts) but then for nearly US$100 less there is the Rendezvous which looks decent enough.

check the internet rates at Ritz-Carlton exec floor

service is outstanding although a refurb of the rooms is probably due

marriott is reasonable

check the internet rates at Ritz-Carlton exec floor

service is outstanding although a refurb of the rooms is probably due

marriott is reasonable

Cheers for them although both are significantly more expensive than $250 per night . . . nobody have any reports on the Mandarin or Orchard hotel?

It is easy to find good hotels in Singapore that are way too expensive. How about cheap, but comfortable?

There used to be an old fashioned Chinese Hotel near the beginning of Bencoolen street that was about $35 U.S. with aircon and a fan and a sink in the room. The bathrooms were in the hall, but there were so many of them that you never had to wait.

Also, there was the Mitre Hotel near the main post office which was an absolute sh*thole, but you got your own room for something like $10 U.S. and it was full of friendly Thai hookers!

It is easy to find good hotels in Singapore that are way too expensive. How about cheap, but comfortable?

There used to be an old fashioned Chinese Hotel near the beginning of Bencoolen street that was about $35 U.S. with aircon and a fan and a sink in the room. The bathrooms were in the hall, but there were so many of them that you never had to wait.

Also, there was the Mitre Hotel near the main post office which was an absolute sh*thole, but you got your own room for something like $10 U.S. and it was full of friendly Thai hookers!

Erm well I don't support that Chinese Hotel supplies a baby crib in the room!

If I was on my own I would be the previously mention turn up and hope place, however .. . . ..

I usually stay at the Swissotel Stamford. Great facilities and modern stylish rooms. The Pan Pacific is slightly older but has more spacious rooms. Both of these hotels fit into your price range. Stay clear of the Marina Mandarin, it is quite dated inside for the high tarriff charged.

Edited by youngkiwi

I usually stay at the Swissotel Stamford. Great facilities and modern stylish rooms. The Pan Pacific is slightly older but has more spacious rooms. Both of these hotels fit into your price range. Stay clear of the Marina Mandarin, it is quite dated inside for the high tarriff charged.

I'll have another look at the Stamford . .. . cheers for the tip on the Mandarin - I've read differing views on that place but the one that stuck in my head was 'not worth the money'.

As for the NSS Hotel . . . erm hmmm backpackers! A backpackers hotel . .. . erm no thanks . . I have to put up with enough of them around Vientiane let alone going and staying at a bloody hotel full of them! :o

Have previously stayed at Le Meridien on Orchard Road - very convenient for shopping, MRT etc, however we were a little disappointed with the room size (We are SO spoiled here in Thailand for room size and value fo rmoney :o). Central location although the pool was small. Can't remember the price though...

Have also stayed a couple of times at the Pan Pacific on one of the Business/Executive floors - WOW!!!! LOVELY! Nice pool too and futuristic lifts!:D If I remember correctly, you have to walk through a shopping mall to reach this from one of the MRT stops.

Enjoy your stay! :D

OTHERS_3115_6.jpg

I highly recommend "The Regent Singapore 5 Stars Hotels" 5 Stars SGD 300-500/night present. I have been there for 5 years at anytime I travel to Singapore. From outside just look normal but inside so beautiful. Isn't just place, but all staff from door to room, untill The club everyone "Excellent" Do you know for me, I never care much about place for stay, but important one and first one, I never meet all stuff like this, here's in The Regent Singapore. I really appreciate every time I have been there. I love all of them. They are really excellent classy and friendly...it's true. With 10 minitues walk to Orchard Rd.

OTHERS_10611_5.jpg

Follow by "Orchard Parade-A Far East Hotel" 4 stars SGD 200-250/night Orchard Rd. location

Much better than described elsewhere. It's definitely not rundown but well-kept, modern and clean.

Famous restaurant in the area are Modesto's Italian cuisine, Stuart Anderson's Black Angus American-styled etc.

10610.jpg

Last one I suggest "Orchard Hotel" 5 stars SGD 210-250/ night Orchard Rd. Location. I don't think here nice hotel, poor friendly staff. But good rate for Orchard rd.area.

Singapore hotel are trouble from November of every year rates are up. Exsample rates of The Regent Hotel I stay from SGD 250 per night 3 years ago untill now 385 per night. This rates under company contact, not tourist. (Club floor rates)

Hope you can find the good one with enjoy~*

Cheap and clean - sorry not even close to $250.

http://www.nsshotel.com/

Not exactly Orchard Road though is it.............although Bugis MRT Station is just over the road...........$100 a night for "deluxe" room , but to be fair its more a backpackers hostel, not that there is anything wrong with that........i have booked in for the end of this month for 4 nights........first time.

If you have a $250 budget then if you can wait until 21 days before booking try "rates to go.com" you should get a room at the "Royal Plaza On Scotts" right on Orchard Road go for the room which includes buffet breakfast..........excellent brekkie!

Another alternative, again if you can get it through "rates to go" would be "The Marriott" and you can have a beer at the Crossroads Cafe/Bar..............great for people watching.

Stayed at both the above.........recommended

If you need to book outside the 21 day period try Asia Rooms for a quote.

Also Rendezvous is a good option..........only 2 stops away on the MRT from Orchard road MRT station and has a decent bar attached with 5-9pm happy hour S$8 a pint of Stella/Hoegarten/San Miguel.

Another one is the Allson Hotel .......about 5 mins from the Rendezvous and 5 mins in the other direction to City Hall Mrt which is 3 stops from Orchard Road...........reason i recommend the Allson is they do a decent buffet breakfast thrown in with the room..

Overall..........if i had the money i would go for the Marriott or Royal on Scotts...............if you want to save 2k+ baht a night then Rendezvous......then Allson.

Have Fun. :o

• 1 month later...
Cheap and clean - sorry not even close to $250.

http://www.nsshotel.com/

Bad news JimmyTheMook................just tried to book the NSS Hotel for November and recieved an email back from them saying they were ceasing to trade as from 31st October.

The land they are sitting on has been reclaimed by the Singapore government for development..........(not surprised really as it was the only building on that block of land)

End of an era.............. :o

Used to stay at The Regent (on Cuscaden Road at the Tanglin end of Orchard) when visiting SG from BKK on business - always good but sorry I am out of date on SG hotel rates these days...

Another good one - although it is at Suntec NOT Orchard is The Conrad, which is a little more modern than The Regent imho. Short taxi ride to Orchard, or walk over to City Hall MRT station and go 3 stops to Orchard.

Budget hotels - try the Hotel 81 chain or Fragrance Hotels - don't think there are any right on Orchard though, suspect their business economics don't work when faced with Orchard Road rent! But nowhere is very far in Singapore!

• 4 weeks later...

I LOVE the Ritz! Also check out New Majestic Hotel in Chinatown.

Avoid the Pan Pacific at Orchard - it used to be a Japanese serviced apartment - if you detest migraine-inducing cigarette odor in your room. I had to change rooms because I couldnt breathe. And yes, both rooms were non-smoking.

I LOVE the Ritz! Also check out New Majestic Hotel in Chinatown.

Avoid the Pan Pacific at Orchard - it used to be a Japanese serviced apartment - if you detest migraine-inducing cigarette odor in your room. I had to change rooms because I couldnt breathe. And yes, both rooms were non-smoking.

Is that the old Majestic Theatre on Eu Tong Sen Street you're talking about? I was wondering what they had done with it - how long has it been a hotel? It's not far from where I live - I shall go in and do some reconaissance...

Agree about the Pan Pacific - getting a bit long in the tooth these days and trading on reputation / location - it does have a ripping Japanese restaurant though - but probably best to go if someone else is paying!

CC

Edit: typo

Edited by Captain Chaos

I usually stay at the Swissotel Stamford. Great facilities and modern stylish rooms.

Definitely agree with this.We stayed for four nights and found it to be an excellent hotel.

Also you are right next to City Hall MRT so easy to hop on a train for sightseeing and shopping.

The hotel also has a bar on about the 78th ?? floor.There are some great views of the city to be had.Free to hotel guests but a charge for outsiders.Definitely worth visiting and having a relaxing beer for an hour.Note it can get very busy after 8pm and difficult to get a seat then.

A round about way of going about it but maybe you could fly singapore air or silk air and use their stopover packages. they are from round $70 each twin share. Silkair have some very very cheap offers for two on their site. So may be worth an almost throw away side trip to qualify.

I actually liked the Swissotel Merchant Court when I stayed there late last month. Plenty to do in that area and right on an MRT station.

Last week stayed at the Grand Copthorne. Not bad but location is not exactly ideal, plus nothing to do without walking at least 10-15 minutes towards Chinatown or Clarke Quay.

Been at Swissotel Stamford before - personally that's my favorite. Grand Hyatt is also very nice.

The Le Meridien Hotel fits your requirements perfectly. It is right on Orchard Road and a very short walk to the Dhoby Ghaut MRT Staion which is at the intersection of both the North South Line and the North East line. The following link quotes a starting price of $270.00 Singapore dollars but I have stayed there several times at sometimes less than half that price. Call the hotel direct and negotiate. Le Meridien Singapore

Well I said I report back . . and here it is!

You'll be surprised to hear but in the end I decided to give the NSS Hotel a shot foregoing my aversion to backpacker hotels.

I have to say it certainly ain't bad for the money and I only saw 2 backpackers! :o Sure even the deluxe rooms for S$110 per night are on the sparse side - chinese only TV (8 channels of it) is a bit poor regardless of the money! But most importantly it was clean, the air con worked well and the shower was decent. Towels were the typical budget thin small things but did the job.

They allowed us access to the room at 7am even though standard check in is 2pm - which was most appreciated and we didn't have to check out early or pay an excess (something you certainly wouldn't get in one of the bigger hotels). In terms of location in my opinion it was actually better than Orchard Road! With Bugis Junction shopping centre and MRT station 50 or so metres walk up the road.

Also no one mentioned the attached restaurant at the back which did a great steamboat and chinese food at decent prices - better than anything I've eaten in Singapore previously. The amount of locals using the restaurant proved it wasn't just us who thought so.

Apparently (according to our taxi driver) from 31st Oct when it closes the land will be turned into an MRT station - I can't quite understand this since Bugis Junction is just 50 or so metres away!

The hotel isn't much really in terms of room but the surrounding area and restaurant make/made it a great location. Next time I return to Singers I'll be staying in the area again pity the NSS and restaurant won't be around. Cheers for the tip on that one! :D

Love the Royal Plaza on Scotts (http://www.royalplaza.com.sg). Great rooms, service, hotel. Can book on agoda.com for about $180 US/night.

Right near the Thai Embassy too, which was how I initially found it. Great dinner buffet.