High Rate Of Depression Among Internet Users

george

High rate of depression among Internet users

BANGKOK: -- A leading psychiatric expert today urged young people to solve their personal problems by seeking the advice of friends and family rather than by relying on cyber friends, pointing to a high correlation between the use of Internet chat rooms and depression.

Dr. Aphichai Mongkhol, deputy director-general of the Department of Mental Health, said that most users of Internet chat rooms appeared to suffer from a sense of low self-value and hopelessness.

Noting however that friendships formed in chat rooms were merely virtual friendships, Dr. Aphichai said that Internet users had no way of knowing whether or not the people they were chatting to were genuine. Instead, he said, young people with problems should turn to the advice of their friends and family as people they could trust.

“People who are with someone regularly can assess whether or not a family member is suffering from depression, for instance if their behaviour has changed, if they are not eating or sleeping, if they are exhausted. If people are stressed they should find ways to relax, for instance by exercising, jogging, going to the movies, meditation or yoga”, he said, adding that sufficient sleep was also important.

He also called on the media to refrain from publishing the details of suicides, warning that detailed reporting could lead to copycat incidents.

However, he noted that Thailand only had around 5,000 successful suicides a year compared to 35,000 in Japan, and that the Internet-based suicide pacts which have made Japanese media headlines recently have not yet become apparent as a problem in Thailand.

Dr. Aphichai made his comments at the start of National Mental Health Week, marked this morning by a charity run organized by Sri Tanya Hospital, the proceeds of which will go to low income mental health patients.

Source: TNA 2004-11-07

:D

I am not depresed at all. Since the early closing hours I spent my time on the internet, and haven't laughed so much in years. There is no piss test for those still online after 1am. And with the choice of avatars to look at, I don't miss the bars either. :D

But then, I am immature and in denial, I have been told. :o

There is no piss test for those still online after 1am. And with the choice of avatars to look at, I don't miss the bars either.  :D

Stroll, with the new forum software george and huski recently installed comes an optional extra breathalyser unit, I do believe they are looking at the logistics of installing a blow in the bag system. The higher your blood alcohol concentration the less clicks you get before being booted off for the night to sober up. I believe a pm will automatically be generated with an appointment to see the good ol Doc. :D

What a handy admin team we have on thaivisa.

we mods welcome thaivisa's new social disorder campaign.

:o

There is no piss test for those still online after 1am. And with the choice of avatars to look at, I don't miss the bars either.  :D

Stroll, with the new forum software george and huski recently installed comes an optional extra breathalyser unit, I do believe they are looking at the logistics of installing a blow in the bag system. The higher your blood alcohol concentration the less clicks you get before being booted off for the night to sober up. I believe a pm will automatically be generated with an appointment to see the good ol Doc. :D

What a handy admin team we have on thaivisa.

we mods welcome thaivisa's new social disorder campaign.

I heard rumours of a Thaivisa pregnancy test as well. :o