Baby Bottles Which One To Buy?

Orangutan

The wife and I are expecting our first child a boy in October. Today we were in the Emporium at Phrom Pong browsing for baby stuff. They have a huge selection of bottles with different sizes and styles. They also had a large variety of nipples. Personally, I was overwhelmed with the different choices of both of these necessities. They had bottles with a valve that prevent air bubbles, curved bottles, etc. Additionally there were nipples with single and multiple holes.

I remember reading something here about baby bottles but cannot find it. Can someone give us a recommendation regarding what is the best type of bottle for our son? In addition, what are the different nipples for?

My wife said that her sisters just bought the cheapest bottles available.

Thanks in advance,

-O

Bottles are bottles are bottles! Go to tescos or similar and get them cheaper. You will probably be better off buying the 4oz bottles. 2oz ones empty too quick and the 8oz ones are too heavy at first. Some nipples are softer than others and some have larger holes. My son started on really soft ones as they were easier to suck. We bought a couple of curved bottles when he was a bit bigger, they are meant to help keep the nipple full of milk, but it was a waste of time as he was more comfortable holding the bottle the wrong way around so the nipple was always empty. I think the cheapest brand we have used is Pigeon, they are fine.

Good luck in October and make sure you post a picture :o

Nidge.

Suggest you buy only one kind so you do not have problems keeping track of nipples and do not have to worry about does this or that fit. If you have all the same kind it is much easier to deal with.

I used avent & then Dr Browns as my son suffered with colic. If you go with a basic cheap bottle & the teats that come with them, then don't forget to gradually increase the size of the hole otherwise, as baby gets bigger they will end up sucking too hard trying to get an increase flow of milk & that can cause excess wind which in turn causes colic & pain for baby for just generally an unhappy hungry baby :o:D

IMO, if you can afford it then go for something like Avent with the orthodontic latex teats. They are softer for babies mouth & also have different teat hole sizes already but it is a bit of trial & error so just go with your own instinct.

Make sure the bottles have a recycling symbol 1, 2 or 5 as other types of plastic could leach dangerous chemicals. Most western countries have banned baby bottles made of bad types of plastics, not so in Thailand. Tempered glass is probably best apart from the risk of breaking them.

Yes, bottles with big openings are easier to clean.

Agree as well on buying all from the same brand as otherwise you have to keep track of which teats go with which bottle (although teats size is supposed to be standard, in practice it may leak if the teat is not of the same brand as the bottle).

There are several size for teats, when the baby is newborn just use the teat that came with the bottle, at around 3 months you'll buy new teats (same brand of course) with a bigger opening.

I agree with Boo. After breastfeeding him, I've used Pigeont first, then switched to Avent, much better and as the baby grows, you change the nipple size (from 1 to 4). The most important thing in our case is that my son drinks milk only when he sleeps !!! so, having Avent (with its air system) was a plus. I don't have to move the bottle aside to remove the air. Good luck !!!

• 1 month later...

Report Shows Dangerous Chemical Can Leach From Baby Bottles

New studies have shown that a chemical BPA can lead to developmental problems. Here are a few links. I had my parents send some bottles free of BPA from the US.

Here are some links worth looking at, but you can find this information all over the net.

http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/hea...aby-bottles.htm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/HealthS...how/3446234.cms

http://www.local6.com/health/11138563/detail.html

Yeah, we use Avent as well, but as expected, it's a significant markup here. If that doesn't bother you, all good, but many locals that study or do business abroad prefer to carry them over. Google babycenter for a company that usually is in stock on a variety of equally well known brands (Evenflow, Dr. Browns, etc.), you can have them mail them to your home or biz if you're US based.

Haven't really bought into the Born Free, BPA-free thing myself, but I am keeping an eye on the research. Only have one more baby to go, and the bottles I had when I was a kid were pretty poor quality in comparison (and I think I turned out okay), so probably will just go with more Avent again, better than what I had by a long shot.

:o

• 10 years later...

Stick with one brand and buy more than you think you need,

Bottle IMHO doesn't matter, its the nipples and the options as the child grows, eg 1 hole opening up to 4 holes for higher flow rate

My son went through nipples like a beaver through a tree.

Also the MOST important thing is a bottle steamer/cleaner, whoever invented this should be given a Noble prize

Edited by kwonitoy