Rep Roi?

eek

I imagine I have the spelling wrong, so apologies. Im trying to find out the meaning of rep roi (sp?), but cannot find anything online or in my books.

I was vaguely told that rep roi means something about knowing how to behave correctly (as a woman, if said to a woman), but was told by someone else that it means "neat" (both explained by Thai people), so im not clear on it. Does it have many definitions? Does it mean different things when said by male or female to male or female? Does it mean something different if applied to an animal or object or place?

As a side note, im also curious to know how this differs from rap roi and the meaning of rap roi...and what/why is roi used. Is roi seperate or together? What does roi mean on its own?

Thanks to anyone who can help my understanding of this, and sorry if the spelling is way off (I cannot yet write in Thai either).

:o

1st definition: [is] neat; ready; all set; all in order; orderly; tidy

2nd: [is] polite and well mannered

The 2nd definition is the one I wanted to know as the comment was applied to a person.

Tnx again for a clear definition.

(Again, any comments about my other queries would be greeeaaat. :o )

I imagine I have the spelling wrong, so apologies. Im trying to find out the meaning of rep roi (sp?), but cannot find anything online or in my books.

I was vaguely told that rep roi means something about knowing how to behave correctly (as a woman, if said to a woman), but was told by someone else that it means "neat" (both explained by Thai people), so im not clear on it. Does it have many definitions? Does it mean different things when said by male or female to male or female? Does it mean something different if applied to an animal or object or place?

As a side note, im also curious to know how this differs from rap roi and the meaning of rap roi...and what/why is roi used. Is roi seperate or together? What does roi mean on its own?

Thanks to anyone who can help my understanding of this, and sorry if the spelling is way off (I cannot yet write in Thai either).

:o

eek, i have never heard of rap roi, what does it mean?

i suspect you are getting confused by the transliteration of เรียบร้อย.

once you learn to read and write thai, and understand the vowels you will know how to pronounce the words correctly, with correct tone and vowel length.

เรียบร้อย., i would write as riiap raawy, i know sometimes if you are unfamiliar with a thai word you may not hear it correctly and infact think it is being pronounced differently.

i think you are confusing rep roi and rap roi, thinking they are 2 seperate words, in my opinion they are the same word, its just they have been transliterated incorrectly.

hope this helps.

you asked for all definitions. It can be used as a euphemism for sex, for the first time in a relationship.

eg one male saying to his buddy about a lady he is dating "riap roi laeow" meaning the act has been done and therefore everything is "proper" and "settled".

Edited by sgtpeppers

It's also used by one of Captain Speaking's associates - "Bing bong, we have now landed at Swampyboom riap roi laeow". I take this as a quaint way to say the flight is all over, but I am hard-pressed to actually put it into English words we would use in that context.

Teachers at school often describe students as being both สุภาพ and เรียบร้อย

When I asked once what the difference was, someone said to me that the second one might be talking about their physical demeanour/appearance, whereas the first is more speaking/manners. 'Neat' therefore, would be a good translation.

เรียบร้อยแล้ว as you can see, also talks about a task being completed. Hence the previous two examples. If you take a car in to be serviced you might hear this or if you have been waiting for a visa etc. etc.

unwomanly (adj.)

1.not womanly "the logical clearness of her arguments...condemned her as eccentric and unwomanly"

- from sensagent's online dictionary, love the PC example!

In thai perhaps ไม่เพศหญิง?

In the Becker dict เรียบ (riap) is given as "even, adj."

I seem to remember hearing that Siem Riep (in Cambo) meant something about a victory over Siam. Maybe it means "Get Even with the Siamese" - or perhaps the other way round? Anyone?

unwomanly (adj.)

1.not womanly "the logical clearness of her arguments...condemned her as eccentric and unwomanly"

- from sensagent's online dictionary, love the PC example!

In thai perhaps ไม่เพศหญิง?

Hmm, did I come through ok in that post? What I meant was just to provide a definition of the word originally discussed, based on how I have heard it used.

I think you came through fine Meadish. My understanding of เรียบร้อย when referring to people is basically the same - that it means polite, well mannered, well-behaved according to what society expects, but also with a bit of an implication of being a bit shy and reserved too.

As far as I can see, it's mostly meant as a compliment (particularly when referring to women), but could hint at being straight-laced or even boring depending on the context, who's saying it and what kind of people they like. After all, the crazy one who's the life and soul of the party is definitely not 'riap roi' while the shy one on the sidelines too afraid to dance definitely is! I guess it's a bit like describing someone as 'nice' in English in that respect.