British Passport Renewal

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this one on.

My OH needs to renew his British passport. We moved to Phuket 6 months ago (on retirement visas). Just downloaded the UK passport application forms and it says that you need a British national (or citizen locally) to countersign and confirm they have known you for at least 2 years.

Well we've only been here 6 months so don't know anyone in Phuket for 2 years. Don't have time to send the forms/photo to anyone outside Thailand.

Will contact British Embassy in Bangkok and believe there is an honorary consul in Phuket we can contact for assistance, but has anyone experienced this problem and have any positive advice?

Are you sure you need a British national? I renewed my UK passport six months ago in Bangkok and had an American lawyer friend do it for me. I don't recall any mention of British nationals being needed.

Incidentally, the same US lawyer is doing the same thing for my New Zealand passport, currently being renewed.

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this one on.

My OH needs to renew his British passport. We moved to Phuket 6 months ago (on retirement visas). Just downloaded the UK passport application forms and it says that you need a British national (or citizen locally) to countersign and confirm they have known you for at least 2 years.

Well we've only been here 6 months so don't know anyone in Phuket for 2 years. Don't have time to send the forms/photo to anyone outside Thailand.

Will contact British Embassy in Bangkok and believe there is an honorary consul in Phuket we can contact for assistance, but has anyone experienced this problem and have any positive advice?

I have renewed my passport here in Bangkok and they do not require those signatures.

I also renewed a passport in KL again without problem no countersign required. I think they realize traveling people do not tend to know anyone for two years.

:o

I renewed my British Passport at the British Consul in Bombay (just before I moved to Bangkok) and I got an ex-pat friend to sign the forms. There were no checks at the Consulate on how long I'd known him ..... so long as he has a British Passport and a resonable profession to put on the form, should be fine.

If you renew your Passport yourself and turn up in person, there is no need to be vouched for !

That's right: you don't need to have the application countersigned for a renewal unless your appearance has dramatically changed since the last passport was issued.

Scouse.

This is one of those, oh so classic British compromises. The form issued for renewals include the requirement for an appropriate person to certify {Note: it doesn't have to be a UK citizen, but can be a [duly verifiable] local lawyer, police or bank officer, doctor} that the image is a true likeness if the applicant is not applying personally.

However, if the applicant(s) is applying personally then the receiving consular officer becomes, de facto, the certifier. By the by the same is true, if in the UK you go to the Passport Service personally, though, naturally, only for renewals.

This change is never clearly stated but it is the position. As to children, my understanding is that they should be present, given the inevitable changes of growing up, with their parents or guardians at the time of submission.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

There is no requirement to provide countersignatories even if renewing by post. However, a child under 11 must have a renewal countersigned by two people in the named professions who know the parent.

Scouse.

Edit// Sorry, I'm going potty. Only one countersignatory is required when appropriate.

There is no requirement to provide countersignatories even if renewing by post. However, a child under 11 must have a renewal countersigned but two people in the named professions who know the parent.

Scouse.

I rang the emabssy this morning and it was confirmed to me that there is no need for the counter signature if you apply in person!

• 10 months later...

Can anyone confirm that this is right. You don't need the countersignature on form or photos if you turn up in person.

I picked up forms in Chiang Mai, was originally going to post. But now am taking to Bangkok myself. It would seem stupid to need a countersignature if turning up with old passport in person at the Embassy!

• 2 years later...

New applications for British Passports are sent to Hong Kong and it usually takes about 3 weeks, however, please be aware that on the Hong Kong website it now states that they will receive your application but the passport will be sent from the UK to your home address in Thailand, the courier costs have therefore increased.

Also if renewing no need for people to sign, unless your appearance has changed dramatically or you are a child.

Edited by beano2274

• 1 month later...

I am in China and need to renew my British Passport which is full. residents of China an d thailand have to send their passports etc to thje HK office, but search as I might i cannot find a link to download the Credit card form for payment.Cash is not accepted and only CC's accepted but wheres the form to fill in ??

• 3 weeks later...

I am in China and need to renew my British Passport which is full. residents of China an d thailand have to send their passports etc to thje HK office, but search as I might i cannot find a link to download the Credit card form for payment.Cash is not accepted and only CC's accepted but wheres the form to fill in ??

Its here - http://ukinhongkong....thorisation.pdf