Rubber Verses Palms.

Hi there,

Another newbie farmer. I have been looking into buying land for rubber trees or palms. I have found lots of good info on this site regarding rubber trees, but can't find much about palms. I am looking at 20-50 Rai in Trang, Sikao district. Would appriciate any info on yields, returns, how long trees take to mature, how often they are harvested etc etc. Any body want to argue the pros and cons of Rubber verses Palms.

Cheers.

Hi there,

Another newbie farmer. I have been looking into buying land for rubber trees or palms. I have found lots of good info on this site regarding rubber trees, but can't find much about palms. I am looking at 20-50 Rai in Trang, Sikao district. Would appriciate any info on yields, returns, how long trees take to mature, how often they are harvested etc etc. Any body want to argue the pros and cons of Rubber verses Palms.

Cheers.

Hi, i'm also thinking of buying 50 rai in Trang, my wifes family has been offered palm land with electric, water etc for 5,000,000 baht dont know yet what or if there is land title.coming over to Trang in Sept.

Hi there,

Cheers.

Hi, i'm also thinking of buying 50 rai in Trang, my wifes family has been offered palm land with electric, water etc for 5,000,000 baht dont know yet what or if there is land title.coming over to Trang in Sept.

Hi taffy, Does the land have anything on it? ie; palms. Where in trang is it?

Hi there,

Cheers.

Hi Siamkiwi, yes it has palms on it, but until i come over in sept dont know how old the trees are or what the land title is, will be going over to look at the farm with the inlaws.hope your search is going well, best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

Cheers.

Hi Siamkiwi, yes it has palms on it, but until i come over in sept dont know how old the trees are or what the land title is, will be going over to look at the farm with the inlaws.hope your search is going well, best wishes.

HI

I am also looking for land in trang area. (approx 30-100 rai) . in laws have rubber and palm oil plantation in Saikow area.

(Saikow is near Sikao). Got news from friends on land in kantang area for 150,000 per rai (100 rai with land title) and land is planted 50 rai with rubber and 50 rai with palm. have yet to get actual details.

cons rubber = 7 years for trees to mature . pros= after your trees grows old and latex is low, you can sell the wood to rubber wood factory for a good price.

cons palm = you cannot sell the wood in thailand yet. pros= only 4 years required for trees to produce yields.

as an investor, palm is a better choice because you only harvest once every 15 or 20 days. ( less cheating if you understand what i mean)

rubber tappers need to cut rubber every day and you can only cut 120 days in a year. this also depends on the weather. if it rains, you cannot cut. therotically , you get more profit from rubber (price is still very high now) but practically, you will get more profit from palm.

if you are not cutting the rubber your self or cannot get yourself to supervise the cutting every day, it would be wiser to choose palmoil trees. too much cheating.

My inlaws have been in the rubber estate business since their fathers time. and their family members have big plantations in eastern thailand. Unless you can do full time, it would be much wiser to plant palm oil trees.

Edited by jongkolkhoo