Southern Thai People

ChiangMaiThai

I only know one southern Thai and I would suggest this person is one of the warmest, friendliest and happy go-lucky people I know.

OK, as a straw poll, it doesn't really stand up, but until I get further info it will do for me, so I will continue to treat individuals as I see them, not group categorizations, or individual presumptions or beliefs based on limited, or far greater experiences.

Moss

To add to what SBK said, southern people are more likely to be direct with each other so they are certainly going to be the same with tourists. Watch them with each other and how they speak to one another. Very little waiing and not nearly as many Kops and Ka's being thrown on the end of a sentence.

My Aunt always gives me big smiles when I wai to older Thais who show up on the beach that I've never met before, because we just don't wai that much in the south, but I never know if someone who has just showed up is a VIP.

As my boyfriend puts it, " Southerns speak strong, but speak true." How many times have you had a waiing smiling Thai person say, Yes Yes and then not be able to provide you with what it was you were asking for. I'd rather have a simple no.

Dealing with westerns in the south is more difficult as well. The main reason is the jump in cost of everything. Westerns and even Thai people that have been in the north come down and are shocked by how expensive everything is. I understand, but people get down right loud and nasty about it. I don't even want to count how many times in a day I have a westerner come up to me and ask me, "why". It gets really old.

I found the Southerns, strong, direct and trustworth. With a strong sense for fairness. I prefer their style against the all time sweet but not true style.

A Yes is a Yes and a No is a No....simple.