Ecu To Pc Interface

Hi,

I've been looking around for an interface to use between an ECU and a PC, and have came across the following ECU interfaces: CAN, VPW, PWM, ISO 9141. Are there other interfaces as well? What adapter would fit the largest number of brands/makes/models? Would actually a number of different adapters be required?

/Hans

Hi,

I've been looking around for an interface to use between an ECU and a PC, and have came across the following ECU interfaces: CAN, VPW, PWM, ISO 9141. Are there other interfaces as well? What adapter would fit the largest number of brands/makes/models? Would actually a number of different adapters be required?

/Hans

YES, about each manufacturer has it's own connector, and protocols.

take a look at: http://www.scantool.net/

that wiil put you on the right track.

Hi,

/Hans

The interface can vary on makes as well. Just keep that in mind.....what I mean is that an Audi/ VW system might not be able to read certain areas in a Mercedes car

They have an ISO standard, but they just wouldn't go down the same road... :o

Anyway, thanks for the link! :D I think it looks like a good direction to go...

/Hans

Hi,

/Hans

YES, about each manufacturer has it's own connector, and protocols.

take a look at: http://www.scantool.net/

that wiil put you on the right track.

You mean only the software interface might vary between makes, or the hardware interface as well?

/Hans

Hi,

/Hans

The interface can vary on makes as well. Just keep that in mind.....what I mean is that an Audi/ VW system might not be able to read certain areas in a Mercedes car

Well...there is a generic OBD II software for cars, but lets say if you want to get into the Engine control module of an Audi which can be access using VAG-COM or VAS 1552v tool. BUT if you use a generic OBD II software and tools, it will not allow you to do anything specific like that, but just give you the basic read outs such as codes, reading the MAF, emissions.

So does this mean that the car has an additional connector for special controls, or is it just software limitations? I want to know this because i think it's much better to buy the most complete hardware first and upgrade the software as more advanced controls gets required.

/Hans

Well...there is a generic OBD II software for cars, but lets say if you want to get into the Engine control module of an Audi which can be access using VAG-COM or VAS 1552v tool. BUT if you use a generic OBD II software and tools, it will not allow you to do anything specific like that, but just give you the basic read outs such as codes, reading the MAF, emissions.

I think he has the same problem as me. I bought a CanOBD2&1 Scanner in the US. There are several datalink connectors included, some works but some of them not match, like BMW, Mitsubishi, Hyundai and VW etc. I would like to buy additional connectors for those cars.

from my understanding, dont those obd-2 software programs in those scanners, they are ranked at different levels regarding software, interface...etc. for example reading the website, their are products that have basic programs, and ones with advanced....

I think he has the same problem as me. I bought a CanOBD2&1 Scanner in the US. There are several datalink connectors included, some works but some of them not match, like BMW, Mitsubishi, Hyundai and VW etc. I would like to buy additional connectors for those cars.

I can speak for BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda, Honda, Toyota, LExus. They all use OBD II except some a special software designed to be used for Audi can sometimes be read in a Porsche due to similiarities. However if we try to get to specific modules for some other makes, it will not work.