Rude To Not Become Fluent In Thai

NoSpeakIt

A girl from a good Thai family is taught to wai (sits on her knees) the husband at bed time. Thai believe it brings prosperity and happiness for the couple.

That makes me "a bad girl" from a good family then, cuz I don't wai to him, and we are a happy couple because of it :o

Nong 'Teacup',

Well come to my world. Being married to the American as both of us, I never done that neither. And I'm still be blessed with 38 long marriage years. But I had known some of my married Thai couples carry on this tradition since the day one.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol me again i do speak some thai like where is the bathroom , i can order some food and get drinks but i am happy to ask my wife to write me notes to show ppl when i need stuff from the shops or have to take a taxi.

As for taking classes to learn thai this is out for me as i just started 4yrs at a Bangkok uni to get my B.A in English and i only went to year 10 high school in Australia so i have to do my years 11-12 as well as my B.A

all in the 4yrs before i can get my degree. I think learning a new language is up to you and how you feel about it i know my limits in languages and it is not great but i have strenghts in other areas like if u ask me to build you a wardrobe or make you a table and chairs i can, but if you tell me ur name and ask me what it is 30 minutes later i have no hope. But if i see you in 6 moths time i will remember ur face but names r out. :o

A girl from a good Thai family is taught to wai (sits on her knees) the husband at bed time. Thai believe it brings prosperity and happiness for the couple.

That makes me "a bad girl" from a good family then, cuz I don't wai to him, and we are a happy couple because of it :o

Nong 'Teacup',

Well come to my world. Being married to the American as both of us, I never done that neither. And I'm still be blessed with 38 long marriage years. But I had known some of my married Thai couples carry on this tradition since the day one.

Congrat on your 38!

As for us, we’re still in a ratrace, so every minutes count at bedtime…..

the faster you jump on it, the happier the marriage - if you know what I mean. :D

But in my whole life I have never seen any Thai returns wai to their maid or servant.

that might be the case. but does it mean i am behaving badly or 'out of range' because i always return the wai of my wife's thai driver? if yes, i couldn't care less. the wai is a greeting. anybody in any country of the world who greets me requires as minimum respect to greet back and i try to do that by using the local language. in Thailand the greeting is nearly always done with a wai and that's what i use it when greeting back :o

What's even worse is the "holier than thou" farangs who take some Thai classes and then all of a sudden any one who doesn't speak Thai is the scum of the earth...telling someone else what they should or shouldn't do with their life is, IMHO, ruder than not speaking Thai.

To jump on the OP's post a little - dave111223 how do apply this in the reverse that is the expectation/requirement to learn English when you move to UK or OZ and now the Land Down Under requires a citizenship applicant to sit a knowlege test (have a look at the type of questions) which 1/2 the Oz populace could not answer I am sure.

AUSTRALIANS overwhelmingly support a test for citizenship that includes not only an English language test but also questions about our history and way of life.

Despite fears that a proposed citizenship quiz for migrants using English would discriminate against non-English speakers, more than three-quarters of Australians agree there should be such a test.

According to a Newspoll survey, taken exclusively for The Australian last weekend, 77 per cent of respondents agreed there should be a test on language, Australia and our way of life.

http://www.australiancitizenshiptest.net/?p=sample_test

New UK citizenship testing starts

Issues of Britishness have been much discussed in recent years

British citizenship tests are being launched across the UK.

The 45-minute test - covering government, society and practical issues and costing £34 - comes into force on Tuesday.

People seeking to become British will take the test at one of 90 centres across the country, before taking part in a formal citizenship ceremony.

Last Updated: Tuesday, 1 November 2005, 08:01 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

New UK citizenship testing starts

Issues of Britishness have been much discussed in recent years

British citizenship tests are being launched across the UK.

The 45-minute test - covering government, society and practical issues and costing £34 - comes into force on Tuesday.

People seeking to become British will take the test at one of 90 centres across the country, before taking part in a formal citizenship ceremony.

The number of people granted citizenship reached a record 141,000 in 2004 - a rise of 12% on 2003.

The "Life in the UK" test is the last of a series of changes to how people become British brought in by the former Home Secretary David Blunkett.

Potential citizens must answer 75% of the questions correctly to pass, but they are allowed to retake it until they pass.

Among the 24 questions in the test are:

Where are the Geordie, Cockney, and Scouse dialects spoken?;

What are MPs?

What is the Church of England and who is its head?

When immigrants want to become Americans, they must take a civics test as part of their naturalization interview before a Citizenship and Immigration Services (INS) officer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13442226/

Take the Citizenship Test: Could You Become a German ...9 ก.ค. 2008 ... Take the Citizenship Test: Are You Smart Enough to Be German?

Canadian Citizenship Test27 เม.ย. 2008 ... Recent immigrants from Europe have an edge over most newcomer groups in ... I think no one should worry about the Citizenship test, ...

Northern Exposure: The New Danish Model of Citizenship Test ...

dave111223 not having a go just adding to the dilema - that Thais for example face when they go to other countries they are expected to learn English yet many of todays posters see Learning Thai as an imbuggerance and as you so rightly pointed out some who glean a smattering of Thai then become "?" I hope I have not given that impression just suppling information that supports the need to learn about another country when you go to stay there (this includes the language).

just adding to the dilema - that Thais for example face when they go to other countries they are expected to learn English yet many of todays posters see Learning Thai as an imbuggerance and as you so rightly pointed out some who glean a smattering of Thai then become "?" I hope I have not given that impression just suppling information that supports the need to learn about another country when you go to stay there (this includes the language).

the number of Farangs in Thailand who aspire, or let's better say will achieve thai citizenship is infinitesimal small. most of us are nothing but tolerated guests and can be kicked out any time. you are comparing apples with bananas :o

I don't speak Thai, may have picked some words that help me guess what is happening around me.

Why would I learn Thai? An irrelevant language, far less useful than Japanese (where I live) and I know I wil never ever learn Thai to some useful extent (running a business meeting, for example)

Much more benefit is that my wife and baby go with English, that's what is happening.

In Thailand, speaking English is a stand alone, money generating skill.

Quite agree, Thai is an irrelevant language, spoken by only part of one small country in the world.Thais from the issan region cannot understand southerners and vice versa. Being able to communicate ably in English especially, French, Spanish or German is far more important.

just adding to the dilema - that Thais for example face when they go to other countries they are expected to learn English yet many of todays posters see Learning Thai as an imbuggerance and as you so rightly pointed out some who glean a smattering of Thai then become "?" I hope I have not given that impression just suppling information that supports the need to learn about another country when you go to stay there (this includes the language).

the number of Farangs in Thailand who aspire, or let's better say will achieve thai citizenship is infinitesimal small. most of us are nothing but tolerated guests and can be kicked out any time. you are comparing apples with bananas :o

Naam firstly I agree with the point I wai my driver as a form of greeting "hello" but I think you have taken the "Red" Herring in the English/Citizenship post.

Your point on Aliens taking citizenship here in Thailand 100% agree, but the expectation of learning/trying to learn/knowing Thai or English is certainly reciprocal actually biased towards US expecting Thais to learn english to deal with us in their country not them (Thais) expecting us to learn Thai.

Tipping the actual worker "great" that point often gets up my collar at eg. Buffet Sofitel Khon Kaen - staff, excellent very attentative (no pun no inuendo) Service Charge 10% which would not be proportionately dispersed by shift if at all - (very happy to be enlightened in my thinking on this point).

Mate Apples versus Bananas unfortunately no battle these days age has determined the Banana being soffer are my first choice 555

But in my whole life I have never seen any Thai returns wai to their maid or servant.

that might be the case. but does it mean i am behaving badly or 'out of range' because i always return the wai of my wife's thai driver? if yes, i couldn't care less. the wai is a greeting. anybody in any country of the world who greets me requires as minimum respect to greet back and i try to do that by using the local language. in Thailand the greeting is nearly always done with a wai and that's what i use it when greeting back :o

One should learn when to wai, and more spefically, how to wai properly, to whom, and the reasons behind it, unless you want to be thought of as a tourist with no respect for Thai culture.

One should learn when to wai, and more spefically, how to wai properly, to whom, and the reasons behind it, unless you want to be thought of as a tourist with no respect for Thai culture.

no fellow human being -possessing a minimum number of working brain cells- will consider a foreigner respectless when it is crystal clear that he is trying to be polite. and those who do... well let them get lost. who cares?

You people take life way too seriously.

You moved to thailand.

When you're on your death bed.. are you gonna be thinking about .. How i should of learned more thai words and grammar

Or shit i should of fuc_ked more, went rock climbing more and surfed more?

well if its the first one, im sorry that you're life is so miserable.

But most clever people, all they want is to enjoy life and do simple things that bring pleasures.

Edited by MiG16
comments that violate forum rules have been deleted: MiG

'Wai' is a form of Thais showing respect.

It's very common practice for children wai parents, young wai elderly, pupits, students wai their teachers, employees wai their boss, low rank officer wai higher rank officer... and so on.

Whenever I receive a wai, I always returning a wai. :o

Tinky, my wife comes from a "good" Thai family or so I thought prior to reading your post. The only time she gets on her knees around my house is when I tell her too. Does this mean she comes from a bad Thai family?

'Wai' is a form of Thais showing respect.

It's very common practice for children wai parents, young wai elderly, pupits, students wai their teachers, employees wai their boss, low rank officer wai higher rank officer... and so on.

Whenever I receive a wai, I always returning a wai. :D

Tinky, my wife comes from a "good" Thai family or so I thought prior to reading your post. The only time she gets on her knees around my house is when I tell her too. Does this mean she comes from a bad Thai family?

You can alwys ask for a dowry refund :o

I hope not because we aren't all equipped with the same ability to learn languages.

I've known people who seem very intelligent and have jobs that would confirm that, but they can't seem to learn languages (especially Thai) easily. On the other hand, I am familiar with people who don't come across as terrible bright, yet have picked up Thai rather quickly.

You people take life way too seriously.

You moved to thailand.

When you're on your death bed.. are you gonna be thinking about .. How i should of learned more thai words and grammar

Or shit i should of fuc_ked more, went rock climbing more and surfed more?

well if its the first one, im sorry that you're life is so miserable.

But most clever people, all they want is to enjoy life and do simple things that bring pleasures.

Some of us who live here find it useful, and dare I say it enjoyable, to able to converse with those around us. To think that all the interesting people speak English or that those who don't are farmers is not only ignorant, but also a plain stupid - sorry. You are obvious living on cloud cuckoo-land if you think that it is all just about your fun. I am glad that you have been able to 'turn off your IQ' but let's just hope that you can turn it back on again. :o

Edited by MiG16
part of quote from a deleted post has been removed: MiG

I hope not because we aren't all equipped with the same ability to learn languages.

I've known people who seem very intelligent and have jobs that would confirm that, but they can't seem to learn languages (especially Thai) easily. On the other hand, I am familiar with people who don't come across as terrible bright, yet have picked up Thai rather quickly.

Good observation!

Learning thai has very little to do with intelligence. I've found that the ones learning thai quickest and easiest are musicians!

Beeing a hobby guitarist I know a few working "farang" musicians who are totallly uneducated (i'm not saying education eqauls intelligence!),

but have learned thai in no time...  It's just like learning a new song!

Edited by drdart

As a Thai, no I don't think it is rude. I understand it can be difficult to learn a new language especially when you aren't a five year old when it would have been much easier to pick up things.

However if one wants to settle then they should at least make an effort to learn.

I think it's rude though, when I find someone has been in Thailand for a while, make no effort whatsoever to learn Thai and then get annoyed at Thai people's lack of ability to speak foreign tongues.

True that, I dont expect everyone to learn it fluent as older you get the harder it is. But if you live there you should atleast know the basics, like how to great someone and ask some basic questions to get by. Ive seen farangs talk to Thai's in english and the Thai not understanding properly and the farang gets anoyed at them even though they are in Thailand and the local language is Thai.

I come so close to snap kicking them in the throat. The roid rage really kicks in when I see it

That makes me "a bad girl" from a good family then, cuz I don't wai to him, and we are a happy couple because of it :D

Nong 'Teacup',

Congrat on your 38!

As for us, we're still in a ratrace, so every minutes count at bedtime…..

the faster you jump on it, the happier the marriage - if you know what I mean. :D

Nong Teacup teerak,

You've done very well in this department. :D I-Y-K-W-I-M :o

You have my blessing. :D

P' Tinkle

Well....there’s always rooms for improvement

I told him…will try the slap & kiss scene , like the thai lakorn, tonite

I slap you, you kiss me as a punishment, then I will take it from there

He goes….you crazy !

:o:D

Its just shows the ingnorance some people have, when you live in a country you should attempt to speak the language.

If you think otherwise your not thinking straight.

I agree with that. I dont think the THAI people will consider it RUDE not to speak their language, but its definitely a sign of disrespect to not even make the smallest effort to learn some basic Thai.

like "hey, I am the Farang, I have the money to buy me my way through. why should I care about your language".

its true that people in the South wont understand people from North-East, if both speak their local slang, but thats the case in many countries in the world.

but if both parts speak written THAI, they of course will understand each other.

and in the South as well as in the north-East the people will understand a Farang who speaks Thai to a certain degree, and knows how to pronounce it.

at a time when I still couldnt speak a single word THAI, I often felt extremely embarassed, and lied, when I was asked how long I already live here. knowing Thai will open your eyes and widen your horizon. that cannot be bad.

at least make an effort. the THAI people will definitely appreciate that.

and as you are a guest in THEIR country, its YOUR turn.....

well, thats just my very personal view. I wont point the finger at a Farang who lives here since ages but doesnt speak any Thai, but actually I can not understand it.....

its an interesting topic, by the way...... and thanks god most of the posts are not polemical.... except the odd "do Brits or Aussies actually speak decent english - mudwrestling" :o

P' Tinkle

Well....there's always rooms for improvement

I told him…will try the slap & kiss scene , like the thai lakorn, tonite

I slap you, you kiss me as a punishment, then I will take it from there

He goes….you crazy !

:D:D

Adding a little spice in your life goes a long way. :D nong TC

( Popular Thai says ..... " sup-bra-doon-wan-ra-nit-jit-sod-sai." :o:D

• 2 weeks later...
True that, I dont expect everyone to learn it fluent as older you get the harder it is. But if you live there you should atleast know the basics, like how to great someone and ask some basic questions to get by. Ive seen farangs talk to Thai's in english and the Thai not understanding properly and the farang gets anoyed at them even though they are in Thailand and the local language is Thai.

I come so close to snap kicking them in the throat. The roid rage really kicks in when I see it

"I come so close to snap kicking someone in the throat... ( mind you I never will because I know what just might happen to me if I do such a thing to some people, beside, ain,t that taking things a bit too far,,,,)

another smart , intelligent remark from my hero, Don, the man...

hey, Don, do you call out your name when knocking one out buddy?

I've managed to learn the basics, but I still can't figure out how to ask directions from where I am to "timbuktu". To cover my deficiencies, I have learned that I can get a laugh out of a Thai is when I say "Phoot Thai Mai Dai".

I once met a guy here who said 'I started learning Thai once, but then I realised Thai people had nothing interesting to say to me, so I stopped.'

That seems to sum up those who say they can live here but think learning the local language is a waste of time. Living in ignorance of the world around you is not rude to others (though some of the justifications for it posted on this thread might be), just incredibly narrow-minded.

Do you really think a whole nation of people have nothing interesting or valuable to say to you unless they say it in English? It's a rhetorical question, I know the answer is 'yes', but how very sad that is, and laughable coming from anyone who at the same time would call themselves 'intelligent' or 'educated'.

I once met a guy here who said 'I started learning Thai once, but then I realised Thai people had nothing interesting to say to me, so I stopped.'

That seems to sum up those who say they can live here but think learning the local language is a waste of time. Living in ignorance of the world around you is not rude to others (though some of the justifications for it posted on this thread might be), just incredibly narrow-minded.

Do you really think a whole nation of people have nothing interesting or valuable to say to you unless they say it in English? It's a rhetorical question, I know the answer is 'yes', but how very sad that is, and laughable coming from anyone who at the same time would call themselves 'intelligent' or 'educated'.

well, i can understand what the guy was getting at, there are alot of Thai conversations taking place that are only about how delicious is something and how much it cost.