Motorbike Warnings

NotNew2You

A couple words of wisdom to the two-wheeled crowd in Pattaya. In case you are unawares, there is a police/municipal pick-up patrol out there these days unceremoniously giving the heave-ho to motorbikes parked in red/white striped no parking zones. The bikes get heaved up into the pick-up and I assume have to bailed out of jail at the police station. I have personally observed them in action on both Beach and 2nd roads. So, stay clear of the white and red striped curbs!

Also, my landlord reports to me that BOTH of his motorbikes were stolen within the past month. Both his and his wife's. Both were parked in crowded shopping areas (one at Big C but not in the lot...street-side) and the other on soi koatalo. So put a chain or pad-lock on the wheel to slow-down those darn kamoys!

Simply amazing! There are hundreds, if not thousands, of unlicensed motorbike drivers, many of them well under legal driving age out there; as well as the thousands driving without helmets, some carrying infants with them. So what do the BiB do? They dedicate their men and equipment to confiscating bikes for being illegally parked. F***ING BRILLIANT!!

It's like pinching somebody for littering, while an assault is going on a few feet down the road!

Do these fools have any sense of appropriate priorities at all?!

Simply amazing! There are hundreds, if not thousands, of unlicensed motorbike drivers, many of them well under legal driving age out there; as well as the thousands driving without helmets, some carrying infants with them. So what do the BiB do? They dedicate their men and equipment to confiscating bikes for being illegally parked. F***ING BRILLIANT!!

It's like pinching somebody for littering, while an assault is going on a few feet down the road!

Do these fools have any sense of appropriate priorities at all?!

I park my hired bike on the private car park adjacent to our house.

On Thursday,sometime after 11 a.m. the ignition lock was interferred with enough to render it out of action.This was despite a padlock on the wheel.

As Mr. Pao ,whom I rent it from said 'Ooh la-la you velly lucky,usually take bike,anyway'.

I didn't feel too lucky when I paid him 100 bahts for the new ,fitted, ignition lock !

I do realise it could have been much worse and we could have been haggling over the value of a 3 year old Nuovo.

What with having my wife's chain snatched whilst on the bike at midday on Sukhumvit 4 weeks ago ,my next door neighbour being broken into last week ,and so many reports in the papers of thefts, am I alone in thinking things are a lot worse than they were say 2 years ago ?

Mr. Pao offered the explanation that 'Thai people very poor,have no jobs' !

Keep on Smiling :o

I should point out that it also includes yellow and white areas. Also please be aware that 'faded checkered paint is no excuse'.

It makes it easier for you when it has been removed by the police if you know your motorbike number. If you do the the police will be able to locate where it is.

[

And don't forget, 2 guys can easily hoist a brake-locked moto into the back of a pick-up.

I would like to see the size of them to get a V.Max up there.

Would probably better to just throw a sling over it and tow it

I saw them in action yesterday afternoon, about 1:00 PM, at the entrance to Soi Diamond on 2nd Road. They were heaving a bike up onto the back of a red pickup truck fitted with police warning lights. I wondered what that was all about.

Can someone please explain what the difference is between the red/white and yellow/white striped areas? Thanks.

>>my landlord reports to me that BOTH of his motorbikes were stolen within the past month. Both his and his wife's. Both were parked in crowded shopping areas (one at Big C but not in the lot...street-side) <<

Have heard of other bikes being stolen from that same spot .

I don't have a problem with the BiB removing illegally parked bikes :o , I wish they take a bit of action with the cars as well. It somewhat irritates me to see all the illegally parked vehicles getting away with it when I always keep driving until I find a legal space.

The ever increasing problem is the volume of rental bikes located in prime areas which make finding a legal parking space difficult. It doesn't seem that many years ago when when you drove your bike to where you wanted to go, got off and went inside, alas no more!

Lots of available parking in the 2nd Road Big C bike park I notice now they've started charging - the roads outside are full though!! :D

Id love to see the BIB trying to hump the Rocket 3 into the back of a pick up ha ha ha.It would need to be a big pick up and a troop of BIB. Saying that Ive never had any problem here in Thailand with security. Ive left the keys in the ignition all night and left all sorts in the saddle bags or box. Never ever had a problem. Nothing like back i the UK. I used to park my bike, steering lock on, disc lock on, U lock through forks, big chain and very expensive padlock through back wheel and then alarm and immobilisor. Even after all that I was never guarenteed it would be there when I got back. Give me Thailand any day both for security and the police. I think a lot of it is to the place.. Only ever go to Pattaya for the bike weekend and then cant wait to get the hel_l out of town. :o

I never park my bike on red/white or yellow/white striped places. Yeah, sometimes it is quite hard to find a place for your bike, but what I do is to park in a secure place and continue the journey on a motocyc taxi. It doesn't cost too much and you are certainly out of trouble, not worrying about parking, drinking, whatever. But in general I do agree, that many parking lots are blocked by food stall vendors, rentals etc....

My bike is a transformer it transforms into a lamppost while I am away.

Unfortunately when I return home I have anasty dogg smell on my clothes

That's the bad news. But don't you also usually have a working girl leaning on you? :o

I never park my bike on red/white or yellow/white striped places. Yeah, sometimes it is quite hard to find a place for your bike, but what I do is to park in a secure place and continue the journey on a motocyc taxi. It doesn't cost too much and you are certainly out of trouble, not worrying about parking, drinking, whatever. But in general I do agree, that many parking lots are blocked by food stall vendors, rentals etc....

I agree with you on the final point, Moo9. But I remain irritated by the screwed up priorities. Blocked food stalls are hardly as important to the public safety as the problems of illegal OPERATION of motorbikes that I described earlier.

I saw them in action yesterday afternoon, about 1:00 PM, at the entrance to Soi Diamond on 2nd Road. They were heaving a bike up onto the back of a red pickup truck fitted with police warning lights. I wondered what that was all about.

Can someone please explain what the difference is between the red/white and yellow/white striped areas? Thanks.

Red and White markings:

This is a no parking zone - cars may not park here at any time

Yellow and White markings:

Indicates a short-term parking space only, usually no more than five minutes. These markings also indicate a bus stop. It is not advisable to park here

There is a bike rental business at the beach road end of Soi Pattayaland 2, they must have at least 30 big road bikes (CBR's R1's etc) The BIB decided that they were taking up too much space (which they were probably) so they impounded the lot of them. The fee to have them returned to her was reportedly in the region of 30,000 THB per bike! Wallop.

There is a bike rental business at the beach road end of Soi Pattayaland 2, they must have at least 30 big road bikes (CBR's R1's etc) The BIB decided that they were taking up too much space (which they were probably) so they impounded the lot of them. The fee to have them returned to her was reportedly in the region of 30,000 THB per bike! Wallop.

Well done, hope they clear up the rest of Beach Rd and Walking street the same way.

These bike rentals should only be allowed to keep 4-5 bikes in these locations, the rest should be parked somewhere where they are of no nuisance to the general public. They could keep a photo catalog at the location to show customers their full range of bikes.

Red and White markings:

This is a no parking zone - cars may not park here at any time

Yellow and White markings:

Indicates a short-term parking space only, usually no more than five minutes. These markings also indicate a bus stop. It is not advisable to park here

Thanks ZZZ! I don't drive here at the moment, but it's always useful to know these things.

Well done, hope they clear up the rest of Beach Rd and Walking street the same way.

These bike rentals should only be allowed to keep 4-5 bikes in these locations, the rest should be parked somewhere where they are of no nuisance to the general public. They could keep a photo catalog at the location to show customers their full range of bikes.

Huh, they should be forced to have a proper place of business just like everyone else.