How Old Were You When You Moved To Thailand

TheDon

So, hold old were you when you made the move or at what age do you plan to make the move.

What were your experiences when you first went, what did people think around you?

Just for something different to talk about on the boards

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im hoping to be there 6 months of the year ASAP, ive been investing plenty of time and money into training for a job offshore and im 33.

If i was one of them people who is content making small money teaching then i'd have been there a few years ago, even though im not high maintenace its always nice to have the option to be.

I will be there on the 29th of January full time, I booked my ticket last Thursday. Pretty excited. Im 28 and I hope I spend the rest of my life there or until I get bored of the place which I cant see happening anytime soon.

26 nearly 33 now. Living here has had a profound impact on my life. It hasn't always been pretty, but over all it's helped me grow and appreciate life so much more than I would have had I just stayed in the US. I love it here, and am planing on being here long term.

Oh and when ya get here Don, I'll arm wrestle ya too a beer :o

Edited by Huey

31, like the rest i plan to be here for the rest of my life as i have a wife and 2 very young kids, house etc but nobody knows the future, I will post again in 10 years time and let you know if this thread is still open?

26 nearly 33 now. Living here has had a profound impact on my life. It hasn't always been pretty, but over all it's helped me grow and appreciate life so much more than I would have had I just stayed in the US. I love it here, and am planing on being here long term.

Oh and when ya get here Don, I'll arm wrestle ya too a beer :o

Huey, You only 33? Cool man where are you at??

Moved here at 32, now I am 35.

The most common reaction was disbelief that I retired early, but the last 3 years have aged me.

When I go back to England, it will not be first, business, or economy. It will be cargo class in a wooden box.

Not aged you as much as me. Came here at 46, now 61 and 3 years ago my Thai wife presented me with No 1 son. THAT is ageing!!

But I'm with you re the return to the YUK in a box. Or I was until I discovered recently that I can donate what's left of me to the local University teaching hospital. Then the funeral budget can buy the lad some football kit instead!

Stay tuned to thaivisa, look 5 ways before crossing a 1 way street and you should be OK. In fact this thread might grow well. We old BOFORS trying to advise, you lucky young whippersnappers keeping us young. Ish!

Oh and take a look at our American friends' website. They retired at 38, spend a lot of time in Chiang Mai and have a lot of solid advice to offer: www.retirearlylifestyle.com

33 is too old to be using "street talk".

But he isnt 33? he is 25! di ya get dat mate?

lol . Anyway. I went to 2 international school. one here and one in Seoul. Seoul being Mostly African American Army brats and Americanized Koreans in the hiphop culture and Here in bkk same mostly Americanized Asians with tuned up Honda civics. Crap I regret my life. Im going back to school…

lol . Anyway. I went to 2 international school. one here and one in Seoul. Seoul being Mostly African American Army brats and Americanized Koreans in the hiphop culture and Here in bkk same mostly Americanized Asians with tuned up Honda civics. Crap I regret my life. Im going back to school…

Hey Dawg-don't be lame and have regrets, just quit doggin it and get your ass back in school while you are still young--there is no such thing as too much education and it's never too late to go back. :o

I do not plan to move to Thailand permanently until after I die at which time I plan to have my ashes scattered in the Mekong River. I am still only 67 so hopefully I will not be a full time resident of Thailand until many years in the future. :D

Heh, well then you will know what Jay says "30's the new 20". :o I tend to have 2 or 3 dialects or more, that I use in different situations depending on who I talk too and the situation. However my "street" dialect is probably more old school then what your accustomed too. But anyway, I'm in Samut Prakarn, close to BKK, IM me if ya ever wanna get a drink or something.

I'm 41 and will be arriving in Bangkok to live at the end of this month. I'm not sure how many years I'll end up in Thailand. I've done 35 years in Hong Kong, but now I'm leaving I doubt I'll ever come back here to live.

I also cannot imagine living in the UK, despite being English. It should be noted that I was born in Libya so not "from" the UK.

I *think* I'd like to retire in Thailand, but who knows.

22 & stayed 7 years then back to UK with new husband in tow & plan on move back out in 18 months when I will be 35. Aiming for that to be for the rest of my life but you should always have options in case the future plan changes. I love thailand but I also love the UK & can live happily in either place, as can fella, although I am prone to more boredom in LOS but have plans to fill my time :o