How Old Were You When You Moved To Thailand

TheDon

Moved here when iwas 32, I'm now 35. Parents were pretty livid with me at the time for jacking in a very good job, and in some ways if I'd stayed there I would have been coming out with a very tidy pension at 55. However, decided to make a change and although initially it was hard here, I've slowly managed to become more settled, and things are starting to look good for the future in terms of work in my previous field.

No real worries about retirment etc, as I've managed to keep some assets that will serve me well when the time comes to finish work. One thing for certain is, that I have no intention of returning to the UK to live .

Like the new av toady, proper janner :o

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be there on the 29th of January full time, I booked my ticket last Thursday. Pretty excited. Im 28 and I hope I spend the rest of my life there or until I get bored of the place which I cant see happening anytime soon.

I think you'll never really know if you want to say long term until you've lived a year or two here.

And I predict you will live here for the rest of your life because a muay Thai fighter will swift kick you to the back of your head and end your stay after only 3 days. :o

Just joking.

Moved here when iwas 32, I'm now 35. Parents were pretty livid with me at the time for jacking in a very good job, and in some ways if I'd stayed there I would have been coming out with a very tidy pension at 55. However, decided to make a change and although initially it was hard here, I've slowly managed to become more settled, and things are starting to look good for the future in terms of work in my previous field.

No real worries about retirment etc, as I've managed to keep some assets that will serve me well when the time comes to finish work. One thing for certain is, that I have no intention of returning to the UK to live .

Like the new av toady, proper janner :D

:o , but not quite right SC. When I lived in Plymouth, the word "janner" was used for people of Plymouth origin and as you know I'm not from that side of the water. :D

Arrived in October 2004, a couple of months after my 40th birthday. I turn 44 next month so it's nearly four years for me. Have been working in an expat role during that time. I resigned last week and start a better job (still in Bangkok and still on expat terms) on October 1 so I find myself on 'gardening leave' for a couple of months. It could be worse; I've just walked in after a morning's golf :-)

33 now 35. Moved around different countries since 16 years old and not sure if I will stay here. If i leave i will probably return to Argentina to be with that side of my family. Its been a bit of a choppy ride at times, hoping things will smooth out over time.

I moved to Thailand at 32 years old and now I'm 38.

From your avatar, you came with just the 2 suitcases. So what do U have now, any saving much for the retirement? Just can't imagine I would be saving much at that age, working in Thailand.

And I would be scare too death of not making it, esp in another country that's not my own.

I figure that if you do your best then life has a habit of working itself out.

I don't fear the future because I always land on my feet.

I came to Thailand to ordain as a monk so maybe once my family has grown I will return to that idea - not that I see ordaining as a cheap retirement plan. Otherwise who knows? As Forest Gump once said; life is like a big box of chocolates and you don't know what you will get next...but it's all good

I would think the answer would be more chocolate, and now days they have the selection on the cover so the whole surprise thing is up, but forest Gump was a pretty smart man I must say. :o

Huey, You only 33? Cool man where are you at??

33 is too old to be using "street talk".

But he isnt 33? he is 25! di ya get dat mate?

lol . Anyway. I went to 2 international school. one here and one in Seoul. Seoul being Mostly African American Army brats and Americanized Koreans in the hiphop culture and Here in bkk same mostly Americanized Asians with tuned up Honda civics. Crap I regret my life. Im going back to school…

Hey Dawg-don't be lame and have regrets, just quit doggin it and get your ass back in school while you are still young--there is no such thing as too much education and it's never too late to go back. :o

I do not plan to move to Thailand permanently until after I die at which time I plan to have my ashes scattered in the Mekong River. I am still only 67 so hopefully I will not be a full time resident of Thailand until many years in the future. :D

Did you just call me a dwag=dog?? :Dlol .It’s all good. I only regret my study life. But I don’t see the problem much as I am parity lazy as well.

Moved here when I was 21 with a couple of suitcases, my [b]Compaq Presario laptop[/b], HP 340 portable printer, a couple of crates of personal belongings, and a few hundred $ leftover from my college funds (the rest partied away in a last few months in N. America frenzy, in Austin, N'Orleans, and Cancun).

“Compaq Presario”…...

That was a 100 lbs laptop, wasn’t it?

Oh how I still remember my good old days with the “Compaq Presario” walking around with it, and couldn’t complain much cuz it was a gift from my mom - in taupe color, or the thais called it “krapi color“.

You’re ancient, Heng,……just like me :o

Like a fine 199 Baht bottle of wine.

:D

came here at 29, just gone past 4 years here now, the hard thing was working out how to get my finances in order over here, when that was done easy life. wish i'd moved a lot sooner. hope i never have to go back to england apart from funerals and then they will have to be in the summer.

Like a fine 199 Baht bottle of wine.

:o

Said who...... the tasting group? :D

Prefer the curdled cough syrup taste of the Dr. Perpper, personally. :D

If it tastes good to me, it's "fine." Plenty of older vintages in the house, but I'm just as happy with backyard 'wine in a box.'

Dr. Pepper is also rather fine.

:D