Thai Women Proprerty Rights When Legally Married To Farangs.

I'm legally married to a Thai woman, we have two properties in Bangkok, a two storey house which we paid 2.5 million and a town house which we paid 850,000 baht which is currently rented out because we couldn't sell it when we bought the more expensive property. We visited my sister inlaw up north last weekend and I asked her when will she marry her English boy friend, she told me that she doesn't know what to do because Thai women legally married to farangs can't buy property. All the funds for our two properties were transferred from my Australian bank to my Thai bank account, my wife contributed nothing to the purchase of our two properties, where do we stand, are my property purchases in Thailand legal. My sister inlaw assures me that after making enquiries in regards to matter that she's right but then again knowing Thais up north who did she refer her inquiries to.

Mason, I heared this story from an English male friend,I guess Thai government are changing their laws..very often they are afraid about something in the future...I guess they knew that this is the easier way for foreigners to obtain a property in Thailand...Good luck

I'm legally married to a Thai woman, we have two properties in Bangkok, a two storey house which we paid 2.5 million and a town house which we paid 850,000 baht which is currently rented out because we couldn't sell it when we bought the more expensive property. We visited my sister inlaw up north last weekend and I asked her when will she marry her English boy friend, she told me that she doesn't know what to do because Thai women legally married to farangs can't buy property. All the funds for our two properties were transferred from my Australian bank to my Thai bank account, my wife contributed nothing to the purchase of our two properties, where do we stand, are my property purchases in Thailand legal. My sister inlaw assures me that after making enquiries in regards to matter that she's right but then again knowing Thais up north who did she refer her inquiries to.

A Thai woman can own property in her own name even though she is married to a non Thai. If the property is purchased subsequent to the marriage and not before, the foreigner would have a 50% interest in the proceeds of the sale of the property in the event of a divorce.

first point, utter rubbish.

second point, of course shes is right we are only dumb farangs, thais can never lose face so therefore are never wrong.

third point.probably the local som tam seller.

excuse my snide remarks, but what qualifications does your sister in law actually have to be such an expert on thai legal matters, just smile pleasantly and ignore her, all part of the fun of living here.

Hi Mason45

Pay no regards to the inexcusable snide and stupid remarks from rgs2001uk.

The advice your SiL gave you represents the legal situation of just a few years ago, when Thai women legally married to foreigners (note: not only farangs), and having their marriage registered in Thailand, were not allowed to purchase land (condos were, of course, okay).

It was because of this previous law that most informed foreigners chose previously to marry their Thai brides outside Thailand and not register the marriage in Thailand (the wife thereby retained her maiden Thai surname). This is no longer necessary.

The law has been changed to allow them to own land. I can’t recall when the new law came into affect – possibly around 7 years ago.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Mason45

Pay no regards to the inexcusable snide and stupid remarks from rgs2001uk.

The advice your SiL gave you represents the legal situation of just a few years ago, when Thai women legally married to foreigners (note: not only farangs), and having their marriage registered in Thailand, were not allowed to purchase land (condos were, of course, okay).

It was because of this previous law that most informed foreigners chose previously to marry their Thai brides outside Thailand and not register the marriage in Thailand (the wife thereby retained her maiden Thai surname). This is no longer necessary.

The law has been changed to allow them to own land. I can’t recall when the new law came into affect – possibly around 7 years ago.

Rgds

Khonwan

It was changed around 9 years ago.

Really if I thought I was in strife in regards to this matter I would be getting legal advice but I only brought up this topic as a matter of interest which is what forums such as this are all about. I do remember though when my wife brought the second property, she had to give them a copy of our marriage certificate signed by both of us and I had to sign an extra form. I was informed by an English speaking officer that this protected my interests and if we did split up my wife can refuse me entry to our house but if she wanted to sell it she would need my permission which would be a 50/50 split of the proceeds from the sale.

The form you signed is actually the opposite of what you were told. It says the money to purchase it was hers and you have no interest in it at all. She would not need your permission to sell it. There are reports that in the case of a divorce, the proceeds can be split as it is an asset gained during marriage.

There is another thread (to lazy to search) that actually shows the English version of the form you get at some land offices in Bangkok. Most just have the Thai. I have signed 3, 2 in Thai and 1 in English

TH