Asus Eee 901 In Bangkok - When And Where

ajlande

Hi all,

Has anyone got any ideas as to when the Asus EEE 901 will be available in Bangkok?

I have another question. I will be in Bangkok only one day at the start of my travel in Thailand&Laos from mid-August. Do any of you know a way that I could "reserve" an EEE for purchase when I arrive in Bangkok, so I would not risk that it's out-of-stock, or have to search around the city for it? For example a reliable reseller which I could contact by e-mail.

Hope someone can answer. Thanks.

Hi folks...

I have spotted the Asus 901 and 1000H at Fortune this afternoon, at CNex, on 4th floor, still no signs of the MSI Wind ( not before september according to their shop). No eeeBox either, but coming soon.... I have also seen a new model, the 900H, with a 30Gb hard disk at 13900 bahts, at another shop.

The 901 is 19150 bahts, and the 1000H 20220 bahts, including VAT.

They both look very nice, the shop had only one 1000 left, selling well apparently.

But I think I will stick to my 900 model, I have it for 2 months now and stil very pleased with it.

For info, here are the specs: ( from the leaflet at the shop )

20 Gb solid state memory

RAM 1 Gb

Processor : 1.6 GHz Intel Atom

Linux Xandros OS

LCD 8.9 inches, 1024 x 600

Networking :WiFi ( 802.11 b/g/n), 10/100 Fast ethernet

3 x USB plugs,1 x VGA, microphone, headphone

Webcam 1.3 Mpixels

Battery 6 cells ( 6 hours )

Weight : 2.42 pounds

1000H

80 Gb hard disk HDD

RAM 1 Gb

Processor : 1.6 GHz Intel Atom

Windows XP OS

LCD 10.2 inches, 1024 x 600

Networking :WiFi ( 802.11 b/g/n), 10/100 Fast ethernet

3 x USB plugs,1 x VGA, microphone, headphone

Webcam 1.3 Mpixels

Battery 6 cells ( 7 hours )

Weight : 3.19 pounds

I haven't seen the 701 anywhere, but there are also many clones from different brands.

Cheers..

Phil

I was just about to start a topic asking for info on the ASUS Eee PC range.

I was in an IT mall today and had a look at these PC's and on the face of it was impressed. I recently bought an ACER laptop but have found it quite cumbersome to carry around everywhere. I don’t want to spend much on another laptop but figured the Eee might do. The models in the IT centre were very cheap, but I am not sure if they would be adequate. I only need to use MS Word and surf the net. The two models in the shop were as follows:

1. 2G, No camera, not sure of other spec’s @ 7900 Baht (Approx.).

2. 4G, 1.3mega camera, not sure of other spec’s @ 8900 Baht (Approx.)

I think the girl said the processor was a 900Mhz. I figure that one of these with an 8G memory stick if needed might be good.

There was a similar sized ACER there as well as another model with much bigger hard drive etc, but the prices were approaching real laptop prices i.e. twice the price above plus.

I know this is limited info from me but what are your experiences with similar machines and do you think I would get what I need from these laptops.

Hi Rich

You may want to go have a look here for more infos:

http://www.eeeuser.com/

The prices you mention are probably for eee701's, which were the first out and whose prices have fallen quite a lot...Now they have a lot of competition and are a bit outclassed...

I used to have one, but recently bought a 900, as the 701's screen was really too small for me. I gave it to my girlfriend who also complain now about the screen size...

It really depends on what you plan to do with it. They normally are sold with a Linux Xandros distribution, but they work well with Windows XP, although this OS would take most of the available SSD memory...But if you only plan to surf the net, read your mail, listen music, watch pictures or movies and do basic work with Word or Excel files ( the linux version comes with Open Office, which is compatible with Microsoft Office files), it might be enough...if you have a good eyesight :D:o

For more memory, you can buy a 8Gb SD card and/or a few USB stick, and if you have to carry files, a small 2.5 " USB external hard drive should be enough.

Hopes this helps you.

Cheers.

Phil

Hi Rich

You may want to go have a look here for more infos:

http://www.eeeuser.com/

The prices you mention are probably for eee701's, which were the first out and whose prices have fallen quite a lot...Now they have a lot of competition and are a bit outclassed...

I used to have one, but recently bought a 900, as the 701's screen was really too small for me. I gave it to my girlfriend who also complain now about the screen size...

It really depends on what you plan to do with it. They normally are sold with a Linux Xandros distribution, but they work well with Windows XP, although this OS would take most of the available SSD memory...But if you only plan to surf the net, read your mail, listen music, watch pictures or movies and do basic work with Word or Excel files ( the linux version comes with Open Office, which is compatible with Microsoft Office files), it might be enough...if you have a good eyesight :D:o

For more memory, you can buy a 8Gb SD card and/or a few USB stick, and if you have to carry files, a small 2.5 " USB external hard drive should be enough.

Hopes this helps you.

Cheers.

Phil

Thanks for the info. I have done some research and am now a little more upto speed with the 'netbook' options. I think I may be better suited to the 901 model with the larger screen. I will need the machine for spending a significant amount of time producing Uni. assignments and the like. I will need to find the price difference now. What did you pay for the 900? I think the 901 has a better battery and the Arom processor but for the same price as the 900. As is often the case I am now edging the price up. I'll shop around over the next few days.

What did you pay for the 900? I think the 901 has a better battery and the Arom processor but for the same price as the 900.

I paid 19150 bahts, which is now the price for the 901... The Atom seems not to be necessarily much better than the Celeron in terms of global performances, but better in terms of power consumption. You can still find the 900 at around 15000 bahts for the 20 Gb Linux version ( that's the one I have, got rid of Linux for XP)

Phil

I haven’t had time to look any further into the Asus machines yet but came across this one today in a mall in Siracha.

http://www.weloveshopping.com/template/e1/...4890&setl=e

I have not been able to find any info about it on the net. The only useful looking site will not open on my PC for some reason. It seems it is made by Intel and labeled as 'SVOA ECO ULV'. It has an 8.9" screen and a 30g hard drive, 1GB DDR2, 900Hz CPU and weighs 1.5kg. It looks to be possibly a little bigger than the Asus and looks a bit like a toy, more so than the Asus. It also has a leather handle that seems to be permanently fixed to it. The price is the attractive thing. It’s priced at a very attractive 9904 Baht.

Has anyone seen this model and what do you make of it?

This price is reduced from 15900Baht apparently. The one I saw was 1GB and not 512mb as shown in the link.

Edited by Richb2004v2

I haven’t had time to look any further into the Asus machines yet but came across this one today in a mall in Siracha.

http://www.weloveshopping.com/template/e1/...4890&setl=e

I have not been able to find any info about it on the net. The only useful looking site will not open on my PC for some reason. It seems it is made by Intel and labeled as 'SVOA ECO ULV'. It has an 8.9" screen and a 30g hard drive, 1GB DDR2, 900Hz CPU and weighs 1.5kg. It looks to be possibly a little bigger than the Asus and looks a bit like a toy, more so than the Asus. It also has a leather handle that seems to be permanently fixed to it. The price is the attractive thing. It’s priced at a very attractive 9904 Baht.

Has anyone seen this model and what do you make of it?

This price is reduced from 15900Baht apparently. The one I saw was 1GB and not 512mb as shown in the link.

I think that the SVOA, eventhough the svreen is big at 8.9 inch, still only has a resolution of 800X 480, which is the same as the 7" screen of the eeepc 700

http://www.svoa.co.th/product_info.php?id=70237