Soi 6 Madness

kyb789

Anyone been down Sukhumvit Soi 6 in the morning or evening? I live nearby and can't help but walk in fear everyday on that tiny soi. It is a one-way street, but motorbikes are zooming by in both directions at top speed. There is barely room enough for the cars and a few pedestrians. I have been nicked a few times by passing motorbikes, and my girlfriend was sideswiped by a careless taxi. That soi is ready to kill somebody. Some simple speed bumps is all it needs. But the police don't seem to care, because they are standing at the mouth of the soi everyday directing traffic. :o

Is that the one with Jaisamarn church in it? If so I agree, but like stated ealier this and most other sois in Thailand. There is no such thing as regard and action for public safety here. What I might suggest is the locals pool together and build speed humps themselves. However, the usual thinking here is; the toilet paper roll does not need replacing until the next person needs it.

Pedestrians should use the left-hand side (facing Sukhumvit Road, same side as the Baptist Church), motorbikes (2-way) share the right-hand side, cars (one-way) use the middle. My guess is that you are walking on the "wrong" side of the road. I have never seen an accident here (~ 6 years), and motor vehicle traffic rarely moves at "top-speed" on this Soi. Nothing much unusual unless you are new to Bangkok.