Best Car For City And Occasional Upcountry

I’m looking for a new motor in Bangkok. I now have a 2006 Vios which has been very good and great on gas but makes a sore journey on long trips over 600km.

Now I need something bigger but will mostly be around Bangkok with one every two months trips down south. Fuel prices mean I need a smaller engine I guess but room for four pax.

My price range is 1.2mB and I’m thinking Honda CR-V or Toyota Fortuna? Cannot see much else on Thai market in the type of vehicle in the price range?

I’m tending towards Honda despite my more than pleased service with Toyota and leaning towards Honda? What would you choose if you had 1.2MB and wanted a mostly city wide larger SUV type car?

Or would you stick with a Vios with todays fuel prices??

How about bigger sedans?

There are 2l versions of Camry, Accord and Tiana, and Hyudai Sonata that would probably fit your budget.

Hyundai is even offering NGV/Petrol dual fuel car.

CRV is a good choice, of course, but I believe taxes are higher, you'll get more car for the same money if you buy a sedan.

Nothing exciting in the SUV market at the moment IMO. Fortuner is played out. I really don't know what else to say about it. People who have them seem to like them, but there are more interesting options if you're willing to go with a sedan like another poster mentioned.

The Accord is the newest kid on the block. I'd choose it over the Camry and the Teana. No experience with the Hyundai but if they offer dual-fuel and you're concerned about fuel economy it may be worth a look. Does Hyundai have that same insane 10yr warranty they have in the States?

Is the new CRV '06+ actually a new model or a minor change? If it's just a minor change, that swings the vote even more to the Accord.

i would upgrade to an Altis, bit more room than the Vios and not as expensive as a camry - i believe the camry / fortuner are close price wise?

As far as the driver goes ( 6"3 tall ). Altis new or old does't gives any advantage in seat size ! Same as vios.. On the other hand Nissan Tiida is like a 'balm for the sore butt' for the big driver & the only car i know below 1 mil. which is comfortabe to be in.

if you do not care about the petrol/diesel costs, go with the fortuner (but wait for the new model in august).

I love the CRV and almost bought one myself but last minute decision stopped that. I love my Jazz.

What about the Chevrolet Captiva? Looks nice.

I like Toyta for its service network, just incase.

Fortuner, CRV and Captiva push his stated budget. Altis or Civic would give him top models with lots of spare cash.

Economy wise Sonata is the best. Performance of 2l versions of Accord or Camry is not any better, though they both look cool (and cost a tad more than 1.2mil, too).

Like you OP I have the VIOS and have no complaints except when I take trips. If I upgrade I'm going with the Altis or Civic and would not consider SUV's or 4 door pickups because small cars win when it comes to city driving and parking.

Yes, I am thinking like this myself at times... anyway wife has just said wait til next yr! If Honda brings out a better looking Civic or Accord might go there else its a Camry or CRV for me I think.

IMHO it has to be Honda or Toyota as they have best service centers.

Honda

City Pro =Cheap Con=Crap car nuff said

Civic Pro=? Con= Looks like a womans car!

Accord Pro=Comfort Con= Odd design look

CRV Pro= Size and comfort Con= Too large for big city but best SUV choice?

Toyota

Vios Pro =Cheap,good car Con=Long trips are tougher

Altis Pro =Solid car Con= Every taxi in Bangkok has one, cheapens look

Camry Pro= Comfort Con= ?

SUV? Pro=Size Con= Gas hungry and too big for towns

Honda

The new honda city will be out soon and should be worth a look. It will have the 12hp engine and gearbox from the new jazz, I believe. Personally you couldn't go past a new 2.0 honda civic for performance or value for money. I have the older model so am a little boased ofcourse, but the new one is better than the original. I wouldn't write it off as a ladies car until you drive it. In white it looks sweet.

IMHO, you're not far off target for your intended usage if you go with the CR-V. If I'm correct (if I'm not, then in this forum there'll likely be a race to be the first to correct me :o ), the CR-V is based upon the Civic's platform. It drives like a city car, but has the size and comfort for use upcountry. Best of all, it's relatively good on fuel, certainly in comparison with the Fortuner. As for Honda service, safer to go to a company-owned outlet like Bangna or Sri Ayutthya, instead of one of the franchisee outlets.

Like you OP I have the VIOS and have no complaints except when I take trips. If I upgrade I'm going with the Altis or Civic and would not consider SUV's or 4 door pickups because small cars win when it comes to city driving and parking.

Two years ago I rented an Toyota Altis with gasohol 95 for 3 months drove 10K in it. Its a good car for the city but making long trips it was an dissapointment, use a lot of gasohol, no power at all, passing a lorry on small roads was even dangerous because the lack of power, driving in the mùountains was a evenso a nightmare due to lack of power. Up country Gasohol is not so common, many times my fuel tank was almost empty before I could fill it.

Yes, I am thinking like this myself at times... anyway wife has just said wait til next yr! If Honda brings out a better looking Civic or Accord might go there else its a Camry or CRV for me I think.

IMHO it has to be Honda or Toyota as they have best service centers.

Honda

Toyota

Altis Pro =Solid car Con= Every taxi in Bangkok has one, cheapens look

Camry Pro= Comfort Con= ?

SUV? Pro=Size Con= Gas hungry and too big for towns

so what do you drive?

I would prefer to have a mid size car that is diesel powered. A diesel can sit in Bangkok traffic idling for hours and use very little fuel. Unfortunately your options are VERY limited. I think only Ford Focus has a diesel engine unless you go WAY out of your price range.

And Focus is only manual, which is not suitable for Bangkok traffic jams, and it's only marginally bigger than Jazz/Vios.

Nothing beats Camry/Accord/Teana/Sonata for size and comfort and features. If performance is not the issue, they are easily the best choice.

Between 1 - 1.2 million, you could buy something like a 2006 Volvo S60 2.3 Auto?

All leather + electric seats with memory setting, CD, ABS, 8 AIRBAGS, Multifunction Cruise Control, and so on.

Also for the same price a M.Benz ML 2002 model, 4x4 both the CDi and the petrol 3.2 auto :o

[/b]

Edited by ignis

Toyota

Hi,

What's wrong with Vios and long trip ? I drove one a year and did not have any complaint, for 38.000 km.

Full tank 40l for 600km, stable, good ABS, good seats, Automatic gear is OK.

I did not drive Camry/Fortuner/Altis, so I cannot compare, but I am quite happy.

If the engine was little bit more powerful, I would love it But you will tell me to buy an Altis.

Actually, my next choice would be the next new Vios but I am waiting to see the new City... and compare price.

Philippe