Whats The Scam With The Old Man With White Hair On Soi 4?

tomuk76

A couple of days ago i drove down soi 4 in sukhumvit to have a couple of beers. Just before i got to the rajah hotel carpark i noticed an old man in his 60s with white hair sat on the curb out side a hotel adjacent, I thought nothing of it just he was waiting for a lift.

Anyway 2 hours later after finishing my drink i started to walk back to the car and i noticed the guy was still sat there. As i was driving i thought maybe i could help him so i asked if he was ok and needed a lift anywhere as he seemed to of been there for a while. He stood up and said "well yes i have a big problem, my thai women has took everything from me, i dont have anything"

I looked at his rucksack and he had wrote a message on it saying "please help me". At the this stage i just said sorry mate your a scamster arent you and walked off.

To be honest maybe i should of give him more time to explain but there were lots of people looking.

He didnt look like he was homeless etc. clean shaven, neatly combed hair, shirt, trousers etc.

Anyone spoke/seen him?

If he was a scamster whats he gonna get? few hundred baht everday?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of days ago i drove down soi 4 in sukhumvit to have a couple of beers. Just before i got to the rajah hotel carpark i noticed an old man in his 60s with white hair sat on the curb out side a hotel adjacent, I thought nothing of it just he was waiting for a lift.

Anyway 2 hours later after finishing my drink i started to walk back to the car and i noticed the guy was still sat there. As i was driving i thought maybe i could help him so i asked if he was ok and needed a lift anywhere as he seemed to of been there for a while. He stood up and said "well yes i have a big problem, my thai women has took everything from me, i dont have anything"

I looked at his rucksack and he had wrote a message on it saying "please help me". At the this stage i just said sorry mate your a scamster arent you and walked off.

To be honest maybe i should of give him more time to explain but there were lots of people looking.

He didnt look like he was homeless etc. clean shaven, neatly combed hair, shirt, trousers etc.

Anyone spoke/seen him?

I wouldn't give money to any farang begging here. I know of one young German in Silom who is obviously in need and when he asks for money for food I offer him food but he then declines it. He has got to be a junky. But to get back to your old man and why he begs. If he is in genuine need then his embassy should help him. Full stop. I believe some beggars like to con people. They may not be in need but like the idea of getting something for nothing through a bit of acting - it gives them a thrill. Better than working for a living. And don't feel guilty about these people - that's what they play on.

if its the same guy, he cant be doing so badly, he has been there since at least december last year.

usually has a sign on the back of his ruck sack saying he looking for work, will only consider farang wages, what is it they say about beggars cant be choosers?

i dont disbelieve his story, however he has had at least 8 months to get his act together, he must be staying somewhere and is obviously not starving.

i dont know if he is actually begging or just trying to find a job.

yet another reason why i tend to avoid that part of town.

Anyone spoke/seen him?

doesn't a foreigner need a work permit to legally beg :o

Where did the OP say the old, wrinkled, white haired man was begging? You said he didn't look homeless. You wrote a note asking for help and left it on his bag? There are many scammers on the street, but I can't see from your post where this man was doing anything. Also, a lot of beggars missing a limb are the worst scammers. Not to say they aren't missing a limb, but after their shift, they change into regular clothes and party with the money you give them. I used to give women with a baby, sitting on the street begging, some change, but, apparently, they rent the baby for begging purposes.

I see the OP didn't say the white haired man was wrinkled. That was the topic about men in their 60's going to Pattaya to be gay. Maybe that's what he's up to.

apparently, they rent the baby for begging purposes.

I heard the baby is often there for babysitting purposes, and far from renting it they will be paid for looking after the kid.

Obviously these old crones haven't had a child of their own in the last 50 years or so :o

The old story the embassy will help you is cr*p. I have / had friends who work at a few different ambassies and they don't do much except notify someone at home for you if its possible and you cooperate (many times no one at home and/or no one wants to help) or provide the usual support if you are arrested or in detention.

They do not help down-and-outers / beggers etc.

The old story the embassy will help you is cr*p. I have / had friends who work at a few different ambassies and they don't do much except notify someone at home for you if its possible and you cooperate (many times no one at home and/or no one wants to help) or provide the usual support if you are arrested or in detention.

They do not help down-and-outers / beggers etc.

What if you want to get home, no money, visa run out etc? Will they help you sort out transport if you promise to pay them back?

A friend of mine offered to buy him a ticket from his air miles when he was asking for airfare to get to a job in Dubai, he declined and said he'd rather have the money as he wasn't ready to leave yet.

What if you want to get home, no money, visa run out etc? Will they help you sort out transport if you promise to pay them back?

Simply go to any Thai Immigration department and get them to deport you for free. It is amazing how quickly your Emabssy will step in an assist you so you do not blot their copy book..

I see people missing an eye, leg or more on the streets. Those people I give some Baht, no one else.

But remember these people are run by the Mafia, and never really see any of the money they receive, so by giving to them you are giving to the mafia and funding orginized crime :o

I dont give them money, but food or water

I saw this guy last Saturday. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, some dude sitting on the sidewalk with a resume taped to his bag and demanding an expat level salary. Guess he's too good to teach English or work for a local salary. I need to go back with my camera and get a pic of him. Someone should do an interview with him and put it up on youtube like what was done with that Dutch beggar.

I see people missing an eye, leg or more on the streets. Those people I give some Baht, no one else.

While living in China for a few years I used to see the same thing there, young kids who were with one of their parents begging in the streets. The kids had limbs missing, maybe blind, or even burns and I would hand them a few rmb.... Then when I met with some good educated Chinese folks who became my friends and I told them about this, they suggested I didn't hand out rmb to any beggars, even the ones with handicapped children. They told me horror stories about some of the lazy Chinese who did not work that would maime their own children only to make them look as a better target for a free handout....so sad..

I saw the same guy sat underneath the stairs up to Asoke station with his resume tapped to his suitcase.

Seen him a few times, always reasonably well dressed, clean shaven. Doesn't look in too much of a bad way. I stopped and talked to him once. He said he had worked in the past for the US navy/army as a communications engineer and then had worked for the US embassy in Bangkok. I dunno if I bleieve him or not. I gave him some contact details for a job I knew was available that paid around 50k bht a month. He never contacted them. After that I never bothered talking to the guy again.

and this is why so many beggars have to give their eyes, legs & more to their mafia bosses......this way they earn more baht from people like you. listen to the king...never give money to a beggar!

Just an Irish guy this evening near Sukhumvit 31 claiming his bags, passport, credit cards or whatever had been stolen and he needed money to get back to Ireland. Strangely enough he seemed to have a couple of young Thai girls with him.

My girlfriend couldn't understand that I wouldn't help a fellowman in trouble.

and this is why so many beggars have to give their eyes, legs & more to their mafia bosses......this way they earn more baht from people like you. listen to the king...never give money to a beggar!

What do you mean by "never"? Outside the main tourist areas, I see many Thais giving to beggars. Presumably these are people in genuine need?

What do you mean by "never"? Outside the main tourist areas, I see many Thais giving to beggars. Presumably these are people in genuine need?

No, its so the Thai can walk away with their head held high thinking they have loads of cash.. :o

I've seen Thais give money to the begger on the corner of Asoke / Sumhumvit road right by Soi Cowboy on more than one occasion.

• 3 weeks later...