How To Open A Bank Account In The Uk Online

I would like to open an account that can handle direct deposit of foreign currency as well as GBP in the UK. I have a British passport, but no residential address there. The account would therefore have to be opened online, and post documentation etc. Does anyone know of a bank that offers this kind of service. Would love to hear about it. Thanks

Oz

I would like to open an account that can handle direct deposit of foreign currency as well as GBP in the UK. I have a British passport, but no residential address there. The account would therefore have to be opened online, and post documentation etc. Does anyone know of a bank that offers this kind of service. Would love to hear about it. Thanks

Oz

You cannot open a bank account in the UK if you do not have a a residential address. Tried many, many banks and building societies myself but all refused me because I don't have an address. You can open one offshore though - I opened one in the Isle of Man.

Oz

You cannot open a bank account in the UK if you do not have a a residential address. Tried many, many banks and building societies myself but all refused me because I don't have an address. You can open one offshore though - I opened one in the Isle of Man.

You sure about that? When I opened mine with Barclays International they still required an address, what bank are you with? I opened my account on line but had to mail the supporting documents. Luckily I had an onshore account with Barclays so they accepted my application on the back of that.

ozsamurai, am I correct in assuming from your nick that you are Australian? If so you will have a lot of problems opening a UK bank account. I'm British and the last time I opened one they wanted two proofs of identity one with a residential address in UK (driving licence or a utility bill addressed to yourself) and the other your passport preferrably.

<edit : just read the OP regarding the Brit PP bit........doh!>

Edited by PhilHarries

Oz

Because of new money laundering laws it is hard to open a bank account in the UK now including The Isle Of Man.Expect to be questioned like you're a criminal.

Right now I've corrected my original gaffe I can add some more.

If you have a relative, or trusted friend, in the UK with a residential address you can use that as a mailing address but you will still need to prove some sort of theoretical residency. If you get your UK driving licence changed to that address that can be used but I still think you have to be there physically to do it. Once the account is opened you can change the address but I'm not sure if it can be outside the UK. Or you can leave it and have all mail forwarded.

Of course you have to trust your appointed addressee especially if you go for online banking.

But if Westerner is correct and you can do it through the IoM all problems fade away except that any cards you may need may not be mailed to a Thai address plus you'll have to rely on snail mail to recieve access numbers for on line banking.

As JOHN2 says, if you want to open a bank account in the UK expect to be treated like you are bin Laden's blood brother and, oh boy, if you ever want to withdraw a sizeable lump of CASH you won't believe the shit you'll get.

Oz

You sure about that? When I opened mine with Barclays International they still required an address, what bank are you with? I opened my account on line but had to mail the supporting documents. Luckily I had an onshore account with Barclays so they accepted my application on the back of that.

ozsamurai, am I correct in assuming from your nick that you are Australian? If so you will have a lot of problems opening a UK bank account. I'm British and the last time I opened one they wanted two proofs of identity one with a residential address in UK (driving licence or a utility bill addressed to yourself) and the other your passport preferrably.

<edit : just read the OP regarding the Brit PP bit........doh!>

I opened one with Barclays International in the I.O.M. using my Thai address - no problems, but they would only send my on-line password etc. to an address in the UK (I used my sister's) as they said Thailand is a high-risk country.

I have opened an account with Abbey International in the Channel Isles since living in Thailand, using my Thai address.

It is now my prime overseas bank and I operate it over the internet. They are set up to handle ex pats , but the there is a monthly fee (10 pounds) f you don't maintain 5,000 pounds (or equivalent) in your current account.

You will have to provide documentary evidence of your Thai address which needs to have an official translation into English and verified by the embassy or possibly a lawyer. If you contact Abbey they will tell you exactly what is required.

You also get a gold visa debit card.

It is useful having your money offshore with an address outside the EU as you are not subject to EU vat on transactions.

Google Abbey International for full details.

Some excellent advise there to check out, will get back to you all on the state of the nation regards this. The address is a tricky one, I'm sure I can do a work around with a relative perhaps, no drivers license though. Will hunt!

Cheers

Oz

You will need two documents showing your name and Thai address - the same as in the UK. A driving licence, utility bill, rent lease etc.

If you haven't got any, you should work on getting some - like a internet bill or something in your name.

It is a hassle but well worth it once the account is set up.

Good luck

Once you have the requisite paperwork in hand, an application, approval, issuance of any plastic and their PIN's should take about a month start to finish. I opened a new mainland account earlier this year and I was lucky as I was passing back and forth through the UK at the time and managed to get all the paperwork done during stopovers. If you have someone at your 'home' address who can courier on any bank documentation to you in LOS, you should manage to set it up in the same time-frame if you courier any paperwork back. Couriers can be expensive FROM the UK but IMHO it's fastest and most secure.

As Mobi pointed out, it's handy to have something that links you to a fixed abode in lieu of a driving licence. For example, I have my TT&T maxnet and True accounts in my name and address in Pattaya and that's been real handy as support for doing stuff up in Udon including local banking, car financing, etc..

I checked out Abbey, and it seems it is possible for sure to open an offshore account with them, but the application process itself borders on infringement of privacy. They want everything, seems they even want to know what my dog had for breakfast..... :o I think I will keep looking. And if nothing else turns up, tell them he eats Chum!

Oz

I checked out Abbey, and it seems it is possible for sure to open an offshore account with them, but the application process itself borders on infringement of privacy. They want everything, seems they even want to know what my dog had for breakfast..... :D I think I will keep looking. And if nothing else turns up, tell them he eats Chum!

Oz

Of course it's up to to you and I hope you find a more 'accommodating"bank.

However, please bear in mind that in this terrorist age, when undesirables are trying to launder money for terrorist activities, it is hardly surprising that the banks need to check very carefully before agreeing to open an account for an expat living in a place such as Thailand, of whom they have no previous knowledge.

As I said before, it will be a hassle to get it open, and will take some time, but IMO, will be worth it in the end.

Good luck :o