How Much Trust Do You Have In The Thai Banks.

Well,

Looking at the current political situation and the easy way Thai Banks are handing out loans with almost no collateral against it (for Thais), how long will this last? Isn't it looking more and more like 97?

Looking foreard to your input but let's keep it civilised.

I have 0% trust in Thai banks which is why I only keep as much as I need for a few months at a time in them. My reasons are that Thailand has made very clear as a foreigner I have few rights and I think Banking worldwide is in big trouble. I have to keep my money somewhere so I keep it in the USA where I am a citizen. I'd say my trust in them is about 10%.

dunno,

I held my Kasikorn bank account all the way through the asian finacial crisis and I still have it 12 years later. If they survived the asian crisis back in 1997, then it should be fine now.

Although I don't know what the overall banks exposure is, for someone like me (a thai national with a well paid job) the banks here are very very conservative compared with Australia, where I am from originally and have property.

IMO the banks are relatively strict loan wise now and are getting stricter.

I have enough trust in the big 4 banks (BBL, K-Bank, SCB, and Krungsri) to keep substantial funds with them, but only as much trust as to keep roughly a third of all of my cash assets in country.

:o

I don't really fear a big Thai bank going under: SCB/KB/KTB/ but I am only keeping 500,000 THB here split three ways because of fear of fraud.

The interest rates here for farang are low; and offshore you can get 7.00% gross interest on savings.