Internet Providers In Rawai Area

smartecosse

So the internet is now that slow for the last few weeks that its actually quite hard to work on it.

Other than TOT who else can provide internet in the southern end of the island as the contention ratio from tot must be 1:1000 or something - its painfully slow and torrents- not even worth it :o

When I moved in there was only a TOT line in the house and it could not sustain a proper ADSL connection. I had tried different ADSL providers on that TOT line, different modems, but speed was bad and often the ADSL was offline for hours.

So I had a new TT&T line installed especially for ADSL and I use TT&T Maxnet as the ADSL provider.

For many months they did not provide the speed that was in the contract, but after some pressure they recently corrected it.

I have been on the Maxnet Indy 2560/512 Kbps plan but only got 1536/512 Kpbs for over a year.

Now they were supposed to upgrade this plan for everyone automatically to 4096/512 Kbps as per this promotion. Then people here on Thaivisa started to report how they were being upgraded. That was too much and I got upset that not only was my line not upgraded to the new promotional speed, but I was getting less than what's in my contract.

I just thought I was too far from the exchange and the line was too bad to get a better speed from the DSLAM in the exchange, because I could see in the modems diagnostics that my signal to noise ratios were very low already at that lower speed.

I complained anyway and they finally adjusted my speed (so obviously the low signal to noise ratios I had on the line didn't matter in the end) and now I get:

299671568.png

When I was living near Chalong the TT&T Maxnet (SME package) worked pretty well for me. Now living in the north of the island I had to get a very expensive leased line. Otheriwise it was the TOT Zero Option - pay loads of money for zero bandwidth.

Yes TOT internet in Nai Harn was extreme slow in the last weeks, and doing normal web surfing. Yesterday it was the whole day down, called TOT and heard about maintenance - broken parts etc.

Now two years ago we had a horror line from TT&T before with CAT internet, we were to far from the exchange and TT&T knew that but did nothing.

Now I see g00dgirls speed and wow clicked the promotion link and got this : The server at www.maxnet.co.th is taking too long to respond. Oh - I think they need an upgrade to.

I live near Soi Na Ya Nai Harn, and trying desperately since November 2007, only, to get a TT&T line at my house, but they tell me that they are putting me on thier waiting list since. Informing me that they have no line available, but making a lot of promotion for their products!

I have no line at all in my house.

So what could I do to get a line for internet.

Thanks

I live near Soi Na Ya Nai Harn, and trying desperately since November 2007, only, to get a TT&T line at my house, but they tell me that they are putting me on thier waiting list since. Informing me that they have no line available, but making a lot of promotion for their products!

Thanks

This is Thailand. You know what to do if you want to get something done.

Thanks

If lines were easy to get, then no one would pay them for them.. the "we have no lines" is simply the opening gambit for bartering on what a line will cost you.

Mine cost 15k of which a bit over half was to run a cable about 400m from the nearest TT&T junction box. Took 2 days after being told 'we have no lines'..

300073665.png

Thats middle of the day on thier cheapest package 2Mbit line to Seattle.. Uploads a bit crappy today.

Hi

Maybe go for Cat CDMA CCU-680 USB modem

here is my speed not far from Don's mall

this was 20.00

Download Speed: 1135 kbps (141.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 399 kbps (49.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

this was 20.30

Download Speed: 1769 kbps (221.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 418 kbps (52.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Seattle

Download Speed: 1015 kbps (126.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 338 kbps (42.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Edited by HDRIDER

HDRIDER that's great upload speeds you got with the new CAT CDMA modem CCU-680, I never reached those with the AirCard 580.

I still have the PCMCIA Sierra Wireless AirCard 580, it's ok for a mobile high speed solution or a back up if the ADSL is down in Rawai.

This is with 5 bars network coverage and EVDO coverage in Nai Harn today, download similar to your CCU-680, although I don't know if I ever reached 1769 kbps down:

300410157.png

Note: when I signed up for it in the CAT Phuket town office more than a year ago, they told me not to bother, there is no coverage in Nai Harn. I showed them on a map where.

No idea why they would have said that to me since there were 5 bars and EVDO coverage that day after I convinced them I want to try it anyway, signed up and took the card.

I started to get bills after about half a year and started paying them, no trouble with it, works every time I connect.

Right now the new CDMA USB modem CCU-680 from CAT that HDRIDER uses is aparently the best modem to get from CAT for their wireless CDMA service, that's what Woody reported in his recent article in the Gazette:

The Internet times they are a-changin’ Part I: Wireless Friday, July 11, 2008

Edited by g00dgirl

Hi g00dgirl

I had the old USB modem before, my download is a higher with the 680, but the big + is upload, before it was around 50-70 now its above 200 most of the time, mean i can use skype with no problem.

They also told me (cat) they put up an antenna in or close to Nai Harn.

Yes, it would be worth it for the upload speed to switch to the CCU-680 USB modem! Did you pay 10,990 for the CCU-680 like Woody reports?

Did your old modem still work after you had the new one or did they disable it?

Woody reports the monthly fee for unlimited is 835 Baht / month.

I still pay 590 plus VAT 631.30 Baht / month so now I'm worried if I go to CAT to get new hardware, my monthly fee might go up ...

g00dgirl

Old one still work but you get to bills, they have each its own number, my friend have the old one.

paid 10.990, monthly is 790+vat= 845,30

Right now 17.55

Seattle

Download Speed: 802 kbps (100.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 448 kbps (56 KB/sec transfer rate)

Lucky girl, g00dgirl

HDRIDER -

I don't know why, but we're seeing GREAT speeds from Phuket to San Francisco, both on TT&T Maxnet and on some (operative word: some) TOT lines. CAT remains about the same.

Check out the reported speeds on the Phuket Internet Speed Reporting page. I also had an article about it in last week's Phuket Gazette.

Quite phenomenal, actually.