Laptop Upgraded With Fedora Core 9

Khun Jack

I used an Acer laptop with Fedora 5 and was primarily using it as local webserver with MySql, installed Fedora Core 9 over it and that did not work very good.

Clean install on the second run, and I do like the desktop look and feel now, for the first time in fact. I am not so happy with the security settings, I do like to login always as root, login as root now means do this with some more steps and pass warnings and than we have SeLinux to add more annoyances.

FTP login doesn't work, can't connect the Apache webserver on local network, installed phpMyAdmin and could not find it and the network adapter is not activated after startup and no wireless of course.

In short the desktop display look great , but will re install fedora 5 again.

First it is a bad habit to always login as root user, it is very good, that finally Fedora closed the danger for root users.

The current trend for operating systems is to boost security for the system, extra warnings for root user and blocking dangerous traffic which can compromise the system's security fits into this new trend. Of course all this new security options are easily stopped, by opening System->Preferences->System->Authorizations you can configure exactly what who can and cannot do at which time..

By the way, a not important issue Fedora doesn't use the term "Core" anymore, so it is now just "Fedora 9"

First it is a bad habit to always login as root user, it is very good, that finally Fedora closed the danger for root users.

The current trend for operating systems is to boost security for the system, extra warnings for root user and blocking dangerous traffic which can compromise the system's security fits into this new trend. Of course all this new security options are easily stopped, by opening System->Preferences->System->Authorizations you can configure exactly what who can and cannot do at which time..

By the way, a not important issue Fedora doesn't use the term "Core" anymore, so it is now just "Fedora 9"

I use the system only on local network for testing, it's not critical, and by default I let windows users never run as administrator but don't need the warnings of a nanny like system.

I went through all possible settings but could not access the system anymore from the network, could not browse the network as in Fed 5, software add or removal didn't work, Firefox beta crashed etc.

FF 3.0-beta?? The official FF 3.0 (actually 3.0.1) has been out for almost a month now. Maybe you need to update your system?

# yum update

With respect to SELinux, I would recommend that you disable it (at least for now). System->Administration->SELinux Management.

If Apache is causing problems, first verify that it is running. The System->Administration->Services can be used to enable/disable daemons, or restart them if needed.

The issue with your wireless chip-set will only be resolved if you load the correct kernel driver for it. Since you did not mention which chip-set you have, I cannot help you with that. Try running 'lspci | grep -i network' to see which chip-set your system has.

Edited by Gumballl

FF 3.0-beta?? The official FF 3.0 (actually 3.0.1) has been out for almost a month now. Maybe you need to update your system?

# yum update

With respect to SELinux, I would recommend that you disable it (at least for now). System->Administration->SELinux Management.

If Apache is causing problems, first verify that it is running. The System->Administration->Services can be used to enable/disable daemons, or restart them if needed.

The issue with your wireless chip-set will only be resolved if you load the correct kernel driver for it. Since you did not mention which chip-set you have, I cannot help you with that. Try running 'lspci | grep -i network' to see which chip-set your system has.

I downloaded a fedora 9 DVD image through the torrents and the Firefox 3.0 beta came with it. Apache was running fine local but could not access the notebook from the network, no ftp access as well. Am now back to fedora 5 and all what needed is working, except the wireless.

Shall check the adapter type later but was surprised thats such a common device didn't work in the last fedora 9 version but thanks for the 'lspci | grep -i network' command.