How Much Do You Like Hot And Spicy Food?

Jingthing

How much do you like HOT and SPICY food?  

230 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think some farang nationalities like hot and spicy foods more than others, so I have a prediction on how this will turn out, but will tell you later.

Caveats of this poll, sorry there are limitations:

-- for the poll's purposes British Isles contains England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Northern Island, Channel Islands, Isle of Man

--yes I know the US and Canada are different countries

--yes I know Australia and New Zealand are different countries

--yes, I know France and Germany and the rest of Europe are separate countries

--yes, I know I left out South Africa, the Philippines, and most of the world out, including Thais, there are space limitations, OK? Sorry.

--yes I know HOT and SPICY are not the same thing; for the convenience of this poll I merged them

-- yes, I know there are LEVELS between don't like, moderate spicy OK, and love big spice, again, there are space limitations, pick a choice that fits with you OK, or don't play, OK?

Edited by Jingthing

Well im a big fan of spice food ofcus eating it nearly all my life . and im sure there’s nothing I can not handle. One of my favorite side dishes is when I was in Seoul. And sometimes eat it here too, It is Just fried chilly peppers in batter. Eating it wish wisky ..IT IS DA BOMB!!!

From the US, love hot and spicy food. Grew up eating Mexican several times a week so I was used to spicy food from a young age. Now, I love all spicy foods, Indian, Mexican, Thai, Szechuan, etc.

Many Thai and Indian foods are not very hot but loaded with spices, and many have no spices but are insanely hot. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're making it hard for us to choose an option that genuinely reflects our tastes as you have only listed 1/3 of the possible hot & spicy combination's.

Therefore, you should immediately increase the number of choices to the full 36 possible combination's, or be banned for posting an incomplete and unscientific poll in the new and improved Mensa General Forums.

I think some farang nationalities like hot and spicy foods more than others, so I have a prediction on how this will turn out, but will tell you later.

i don't think it's a matter of nationality but of acquired taste. nowhere in 'farang-land' hot (besides temperature hot) farang food is served and that goes for spicy food too. i acquired my preference for HOT³ and SPICY³ food many years ago when i had an ethiopian cook and the food i eat on a daily basis would be much too hot for the overwhelming majority of Thais, Indians and Indonesians.

besides... the expressions "hot" as well as "spicy" are relative and cannot be defined. one person might gasp and nearly choke after having a spoon or fork of food, another one (like me) would say "please bring a big bowl of phrik nam pla!"

I went for the 'hot and spicey' also. I was never really into hot food in the UK, it goes to show that the old adage is true, your tastebuds develop to it.

I think there is a little lost in translation with hot and spicy. Spicey for us farangs is aromatic, and hot means lots of chilli. Ask any Thai to translate 'ped ped' (sic?) and they will say spicey, hot food to them means 'rawn', or as my father used to ask, gas hot or chilli hot?

I am from the USA and love the chilis especially in chili con carne. My wife loves the chilis and i can eat anything she can but sometimes don't. For example we had a Som Tam up by Krisda Doi that was so hot it burned my tongue with every bite. After we finished she tried to give me some of the juice. I declined. She ended up puking her guts out.

-- for the poll's purposes British Isles contains England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Northern Island, Channel Islands, Isle of Man

Assuming it also includes Yorkshire, I considered myself from the British Isles.

You want to try my Tom Yam?

Tom Yam

Cheers

Y

I chose hot and spicy,but it is relative...I count 25 to 30 small birdseye chilliies go into a staple of the northeast,Som Tum,only for 1 or 2 people.

Really how many of you people could eat that?

Yes,chili is addictive as I have a need to eat it every day...although I discern the difference between flavor and cauterising the taste buds.

All relative,but i am sure when I see thai's eating them whole by the handfull,we mere mortals would be very ill or crazy?

Assuming it also includes Yorkshire, I considered myself from the British Isles.

Tom Yam

Cheers

Y

You don't really need the stock cubes do you? At a glance your ingredients should make a Tom Yum without them.

Tom Yam

Cheers

Y

You don't really need the stock cubes do you? At a glance your ingredients should make a Tom Yum without them.

No. Which is why I added the note:

"Note 1: If tom yam stock cubes are not available, make a stock as follows: Boil the discarded prawn shells and heads in a litre of water with a pinch of salt and 3 sliced red Thai chilies, for about 30 minutes. Sieve the liquid and use this instead of the water."

Cheers

Y

I chose hot and spicy,but it is relative...I count 25 to 30 small birdseye chilliies go into a staple of the northeast,Som Tum,only for 1 or 2 people.

Really how many of you people could eat that?

Yes,chili is addictive as I have a need to eat it every day...although I discern the difference between flavor and cauterising the taste buds.

All relative,but i am sure when I see thai's eating them whole by the handfull,we mere mortals would be very ill or crazy?

haven't you ever wondered why they leave the chilis in whole form smashed instead of chopped and then smashed ?? it is so they can eat the som tam without eating the actual chilis. Many do eat the whole chilis as do i but most do not. I can eat the whole phrik kee nhu chilis with no problem. I can not eat whole Habaneros though.

Good poll, Jingthing. Good polls are very difficult to write and post, which is why internet forum polls often fail from the start.

I think there is a built-in bias to this poll, but that is okay. Even if left in a general forum or the Western Foods sub forum, this is a Thailand-based forum. I bet the results would be different in New Hampshire, old Hampshire, or Montana.

I voted no chilis, even though I can eat moderately spicy Tex-Mex food. The fine points between hot and spicy are semantic.

I like my food spicy, but it depends what type of food / spice it is.

If its Indian then not too spicy as the spice they use tends to linger too long.... I've had vindaloo's that left my mouth burning for over an hour.

Thai food I like because the 'heat' dissipates fairly rapidly whilst still giving that nice spicy experience.

I didn't answer the poll as I don't fall into any of the categories, at least not relevantly to the poll questions.

I'm English from Asia, not from England.

nowhere in 'farang-land' hot (besides temperature hot) farang food is served and that goes for spicy food too.

This is simply not true. For example, in the US Mexican salsa sales have now surpassed tomato ketchup sales. The clear trend in the US (for decades now) is to more heat and spice in both native and imported cuisines.

Edited by Jingthing

nowhere in 'farang-land' hot (besides temperature hot) farang food is served and that goes for spicy food too.

This is simply not true. For example, in the US Mexican salsa sales have now surpassed tomato ketchup sales. The clear trend in the US (for decades now) is to more heat and spice in both native and imported cuisines.

there is no hot mexican food. at least not what i call hot. period!