No Offense To The Budget Conscious......

flamingtodd

I took part in a thread about the Green Man that was recently closed, and I wanted to bring up a new topic, regarding FOOD!!!

I realize, that the topic of food has been beaten like a dead horse and I hate to rehash it, but I used to go to the Green Man when there was a chef there named Ryan. I don't know his last name for certain, but the point is, the food he prepared was my sole reason for going. Since then, there isn't a really good place for fine dining that I have found, other than Patong.

I am not very fond of Patong, and only go for specialty sausages from Carrefour. I live in Raiwai now, with my baby girl, and she also has a fondness for well prepared food. Does anyone know this chef I speak of? This island is for all sorts, and I would never disrespect any place trying to make a living, but....

Where have all the Good Chef's gone? My circle of friends, which are mostly westerners, always find ourselves at Steve's place RJ. He is a true chef, and is worth every penny. (I actually think he could raise prices).

I know that there are many that like to eat cheap, but some people like to spend their time, being spoiled with 4-6 courses, palette cleansers, for hours, and have a chef who can complement the meals with fine wines and aperitifs. I find a true joy in Gourmet Foods, and would gladly pay more for the finer cuts, and ingredients. I am tired of poor attempts at presentation, although I respect them, but I wish there was a place in Chalong that catered to the finest quality of food and spirits.

I wish I knew a Chef, but I can't even make cereal. If I did, I would open this place I speak of; a true vacation of the taste buds. After dinner cigars, Ports, imported cheeses, single malts, fine wines...etc...

I am no millionaire, but I find dining such as this to be well worth the prices. Some buy sports cars, others buy boats, and I enjoy fine dining with a well trained Chef.

Is there such a place in the Chalong Area? Would someone like to open one with me?

A private club, with no sign. Dinner is served from 7pm -11pm. reservation requested. No menu, the Chef prepares everything. Open Wed - Sunday. A/C.

One price, Food, wine, desserts, all courses are included in price. check the website for the dinner menu.

Man, that sounds perfect. Now, I just need a Chef.

Edited by flamingtodd

you will find that many hotels have excellent chefs. get your hands on the phuket restaurant guide (not sure what its called but it is A5 size and glossy) and go for it.

i attended a wonderful 7course dinner at Indigo Pearl with my friend ThaiGerd a while back and the food as well as the presentation were second to none.

all you have to do is a bit of research and you will find some little gems.

and i agree with ThaiGerd about Royal Namtok.

Not sure if its still there, but when I was living in Phuket I always liked the Supper Club just outside of Laguna.

Also the dinner at the Evason was decent but think the chef would've moved on by now.

Agree!

Supperclub and the Evason are very good choices.

For the best burger: Joe's Downstairs

Japanese: The Naoki at the Amanpuri

Italian: The italian restaurant at the Amanpuri

Mixed european: The 9th Floor, Patong

...getting hungry now :o

Gerd

There also Mom Tri's Kitchen at Mom Tri's Villa Royale Hotel in Kata Noi, the Boathouse.. Both have lovely food and a great ambiance and sea views.

According to their newsletter (can sign up on their website )

...the appointment of Maître-Cuisinier de France Jean-Noël Lumineau to oversee all four Mom Tri's restaurants

Chef Jean-Noël Lumineau until now headed the restaurant of Château-Hôtel Le Prieuré in Anjou, one of the Châteaux of the noted Grand Etapes Françaises group. He will work his magic at all four of Mom Tri's restaurants from mid September onwards.

Jean Noël's trademark cuisine combines superior quality ingredients from the best local produce in season, with an inventive use of intense, natural flavours. Chef Jean Noël will work closely with Chef Tummanoon of the Boathouse Wine & Grill and Chef Sura of Mom Tri's Kitchen to perfect their already outstanding cuisine.

_____

Edited by MisterMan

Is there such a place in the Chalong Area? Would someone like to open one with me?

A private club, with no sign. Dinner is served from 7pm -11pm. reservation requested. No menu, the Chef prepares everything. Open Wed - Sunday. A/C.

One price, Food, wine, desserts, all courses are included in price. check the website for the dinner menu.

Skip the restaurant business in Phuket, FT.

Complete loser, just too many options. The business I'm in, I see them opening and closing more than a bangla bar-girl.

I once saw a statistic that for every actual Phuket resident, (when you include foodstalls and carts) there is a place to eat for each one. When you can get geow-teow for ysip-ha baht, dropping 800-1000 on a gormet meal just isn't going to happen often enough for your restaurant idea to float.

A fellow TV member and I had dinner with a guy we know a year and a half ago. He imparted to us that he was opening a restaurant with his girlfriend. My friend and I tried to dissuade, a year later he had spent all his money, was broke, and had to go back to Korea to teach.

These guys come to me each year saying they are going to open the best restaurant in Phuket and I should support them. I generally say, show me the money first, then I'll support you. Three months later they are out of business....

Hi,

you should try the "Royale Nam Tok" restaurant near Kathu waterfall!

Gerd

Is it worth noting.. Saw the signs but havent tried it yet..

Echo Joes downstairs for the experience, bit more relaxed than gourmet but still well done.. I think Aarons still chef there.

Wasnt overly impressed with 9th floor but my mates love it.. Maybe I just didnt get the best offering.

The white box worth a look for this market I would say..

Hi,

Gerd

Is it worth noting.. Saw the signs but havent tried it yet..

Echo Joes downstairs for the experience, bit more relaxed than gourmet but still well done.. I think Aarons still chef there.

Wasnt overly impressed with 9th floor but my mates love it.. Maybe I just didnt get the best offering.

The white box worth a look for this market I would say..

Yes, Aaron is still there.

No comments from my side about the White Box...

Gerd

First of all, I wouldn't know the first thing about opening much less operating a restaurant. I was just wishing.

I am in the 'put out the fire" business.

I just remember going to a friend’s birthday at the GM, and there was a menu already prepared, with wine, and port, and handmade raspberry sorbet. The Chef, Ryan something????, came out with each entree and spoke about it, and told us the what and why and how and sounded really authentic. I tried to plan Amanda's birthday there a while back, but they had already gotten a new chef from Scotland, and he was a 'by the menu" kind of guy. So I stopped going.

Please don't get me wrong, I am no professional gourmet, or critic, but I absolutely loved going into a place where the chef made all the decisions. I really hate having to order from a menu! I mean, what do I know. When I go to someone’s house, they cook, and present the meal, and never hand you a menu. It makes it so much more personal. This is a truly different approach, but for people like me, it is a pleasure. The Chef is the expert, with wines, sauces, and complements, and this guy always had my mouth watering. And I never ordered off the menu. He would come out and see us, as my friend used to drink hard liquor at noon. Doubles none-the-less. Anyway, he would come out, gauge our moods, talk for a while, and then go and cook something he created for us.

It was magnificent. I wish some restaurants would do this. Not buffet, but a Chef's decision. He has the degree!!

I remember the meals cooked by this guy, and they were always educational and absolutely delicious. I know this is not a typical approach, but I remember seeing many people attending these dinners, so I know I am not alone.

I have been to the Wine Connection with Amanda (she loves the place), and had a wonderful meal. She knows wine and loves to choose bottles for the meal we are having and I love to sit outside. But a menu is the last thing I want to see. I always think the chef is saying to himself "what do you know?"

Anyway, I will try the restaurants Gerd suggested, as He is a chef, yes?

And Donna, I love your list, but I was just looking for a different approach.

todd

A freind of mine eats at this Italian place in Nai Harn every day and the chef makes for him whatever he wants.  They often going shopping together at central to get ingredients, although this is farther than I would be willing to go. So it is possible to have a place where you can either have the chef choose what he thinks is best, or what you actually want. BTW this place is pretty close to RJ.

Hi Todd

We had a very pleasant experience at the new Pinocchio restaurant in Kata last night. It is located where the Mellow Bar was before at 95 Pakbang road (northern end of Kata Beach). The Italian owner is very helpful and arranged for my sole to be cooked exactly to my liking. My hubby's veal was also awesome. This establishment only opened in Kata about a week ago although I believe that they ran a restaurant in Patong before. The pizzas also looked good but I cannot comment until I have tried one.

The Italian owner (think his name is Nunzio) seems to run the establishment hands on and we found him to be very hospitable. He heard from another diner (apparently a regular from before) that we live in Kata and without even a question we received a substantial discount on our bill. This was not what we were after as we would have been more than happy to pay our bill at the normal price. Nevertheless his hospitality impressed us. One word of warning is that the Thai staff are a little shy but really try hard.

With regards to Ryan who used to work at the Greenman I have heard that he returned back home due to someone in his family being very ill. Unlike some of the claims from some TV members made in another thread where he was supposedly fired.

Otherwise if you try this restaurant hope you have as pleasant an experience as we did. We would not hesitate to go back there again.

I appreciate your post chantal. I will definitely check that place out as I love a hands on type of owner. I like when they come around, and meet and greet, talk shop, tell me about the dishes.

That is what I loved about Ryan, but I had no idea he had ill family at home. Please please post if you hear of him ever returning or doing a place. He used to bring his little girl in with him somedays, and she would play waitress and it made the place very home-ish.

I think I know of the Italian place in Nai Harn. He makes a 4 cheese with gorgonzola (sp) that is fabulous.

I have been eating Indian for lunch, and Papa Johns for dinner. I can't wait to try all the places you have recommended.

todd

Where have you been eating Indian? Please don't say Mr. India.

You tried the one on Patong beach rd ?? Near saxophone..

Not great but probably the best I have had on the Island.. Dont go expecting a Rusholme experience but worth a try.

It is located where the Mellow Bar was before at 95 Pakbang road (northern end of Kata Beach).
Pakbang Road is the Beach Road. You don't mean Thai Na Road? There is a new Italian restaurant at the place where my shop used to be, don't know the name, opposite the soi to Easy Riders, at 93-95 Thai Na Road.

if you ever open, pm me ill be one of your clients for sure

As for good restaurants.. in phuket town. the road to immigration.. right on the corner on the other side of robinson theres a small italian restaurants...

as far as italian restaurants go in thailand its top notch.. home made sauces and home made pastas

Where have you been eating Indian? Please don't say Mr. India.

Funny you should say that SB. The only time I ate there (and I have the cast iron stomach) at about 3AM it all came back up.

Rental dinner...............

I know, bloody horrible and they have the cheek to charge like a wounded bull.

It is located where the Mellow Bar was before at 95 Pakbang road (northern end of Kata Beach).
Pakbang Road is the Beach Road. You don't mean Thai Na Road? There is a new Italian restaurant at the place where my shop used to be, don't know the name, opposite the soi to Easy Riders, at 93-95 Thai Na Road.

Hi Steven

No I dont mean Thaina road - I see that an Italian restaurant has opened there. Have not been there yet. Pinocchio is located where the Mellow Bar was on Pakbang road which is the beach road. The premises are huge - both indoors and outdoors.

It is so nice to have a new good restaurant in Kata. Hope it stays that way. Would be interested to hear if Todd enjoys it if he goes.

I took part in a thread about the Green Man that was recently closed, and I wanted to bring up a new topic, regarding FOOD!!!

I realize, that the topic of food has been beaten like a dead horse and I hate to rehash it, but I used to go to the Green Man when there was a chef there named Ryan. I don't know his last name for certain, but the point is, the food he prepared was my sole reason for going. Since then, there isn't a really good place for fine dining that I have found, other than Patong.

I am not very fond of Patong, and only go for specialty sausages from Carrefour. I live in Raiwai now, with my baby girl, and she also has a fondness for well prepared food. Does anyone know this chef I speak of? This island is for all sorts, and I would never disrespect any place trying to make a living, but....

Where have all the Good Chef's gone? My circle of friends, which are mostly westerners, always find ourselves at Steve's place RJ. He is a true chef, and is worth every penny. (I actually think he could raise prices).

I know that there are many that like to eat cheap, but some people like to spend their time, being spoiled with 4-6 courses, palette cleansers, for hours, and have a chef who can complement the meals with fine wines and aperitifs. I find a true joy in Gourmet Foods, and would gladly pay more for the finer cuts, and ingredients. I am tired of poor attempts at presentation, although I respect them, but I wish there was a place in Chalong that catered to the finest quality of food and spirits.

I wish I knew a Chef, but I can't even make cereal. If I did, I would open this place I speak of; a true vacation of the taste buds. After dinner cigars, Ports, imported cheeses, single malts, fine wines...etc...

I am no millionaire, but I find dining such as this to be well worth the prices. Some buy sports cars, others buy boats, and I enjoy fine dining with a well trained Chef.

No wait, sorry, I just read the first post. Now. You consider the Green Man to be , hahahaaa, oh, lord, you've been here away too long, her hahahhaaaa, 'FINE DINING'! :o

I was a chef for 25 years.Then managed restaurants for 5 years.I have been approached a few times to open a restaurants various places on Phuket.My answer was always No Kin Way It's hard enough to establish a restaurant in falang land let alone Thailand.

We eat at at least one or two different restaurant each week for phuketwan's extensive data base of Phuket restaurant reviews. Last year's Phuketwan Restaurant of the Year, the Dibuk in Phuket City, represents very good value for money. You can eat French or Thai, or a mixture of both. I love to go there and order and share half a dozen appetisers. If you really want something special and money is no object, try the Aleenta, just over the bridge in Phang Nga. There, fine dining is treated as fine dining. The Banyan Tree also has a couple of good restaurants. In Chalong, Kan Eang@Pier is usually good for Thai food in a pleasant environment.

No italian restaurant in Phuket can beat la gaetana in Phuket town.

Give it a try but do reserve because it is small and always full.

And order a bottle of wine to see the ceremonial around how to open a bottle in a show off i have never seen even in a 3 stars red guide in france

Hi,

Gerd

Yes, I can second that. Most of the time pretty empty because not easy to find, very near the waterfall in Kathu. There was a review in the Phuket Post a long time back (which should still be online) outlining the previous restaurant of the chefs.