Fluorescent Lights With Dimmer Switch

Iolare

While doing some research on the web I noticed that dimmable fluorescent bulbs with Edison fittings are available in the US and the UK selling for between $12 and $20 USD. They can function with most dimmer switches and screw right into a standard socket. Does anyone know if they are available here in Thailand, and has anyone tried them yet?

Yup, 'dimmable' compact fluorescents are available in Thailand, I've seen them in Homepro. They are several times the cost of the regular ones.

They work reasonably well although control is not as good as with a regular tungsten lamp.

Thanks Crossy, i’ll check them out at Home Pro. In your opinion, would the electricity savings be significant enough over the life of the lamp to justify choosing them over tungsten despite the higher initial cost and more limited controllability?

Thanks Crossy, i’ll check them out at Home Pro. In your opinion, would the electricity savings be significant enough over the life of the lamp to justify choosing them over tungsten despite the higher initial cost and more limited controllability?

The non-dimmable versions easily pay for themselves, the dimmable ones are more difficult to estimate as they are so much more expensive.

We have one dimmable CFL (coz I wanted to try it) but our few other dimmers have regular bulbs on them, we mainly control our light levels by turning lamps on and off.

When running dimmed regular lamps last forever.

Think where you need dimmers and use regular CFLs where you do not. Up to you what you use in the dimmers, why not try a dimmable CFL and see if you like it :o

Yep. I have a night light with dimmer and the bulb has been going now for 10 years (about 5-6 hours a night). If I use the same exact bulb type and brand in our ceiling lamps, maybe 3-4 months. :o

Thanks for the info on the dimmable CFLs, didn't know they were available here.

the bulb has been going now for 10 years (about 5-6 hours a night). If I use the same exact bulb type and brand in our ceiling lamps, maybe 3-4 months.

Curious as to brand of light, might be helpful to the rest of us. Thnx :o

the bulb has been going now for 10 years (about 5-6 hours a night). If I use the same exact bulb type and brand in our ceiling lamps, maybe 3-4 months.

Curious as to brand of light, might be helpful to the rest of us. Thnx

:o