Thai Linux User Group (thlug)?

niller74

I'm sure this has been brought up before. Are there any user groups here in Thailand where 'farangs' would be welcome?

In the past I have had great experience with LUGs in several European countries.

If no groups are available, what would the interest be in creating one?

Been looking a little around the net and there seems to be at least 2 Thai Linux User Groups, but unless you read and write Thai they are worthless. I will look for the LUG documents. Someone made a complete HOW-TO on how to start a LUG. I remember reading it a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in joining a Thai LUG. Assuming it's in English of course. I know that Slackula has a really good grasp of Slackware, I come from a SuSE background, and I'm sure there's at least one or two that have a Debian/Ubuntu background. Let's get one started!

Located in Chiangmai

I have almost 20 years experience with first Unix then Linux through this route

Irix -> Solaris -> RedHat -> Debian -> Gentoo -> Ubuntu

Today i only run Gentoo for embedded devices and servers and Ubuntu for my workstations.

The LUG How-To can be found here: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/User-Group-HOWTO.html

I am having a meeting with a professor from Computer Science in Chiangmai University next week about something else and will mention the idea of an English LUG here in Thailand. He might have some valuable input.

Located in Chiangmai

Today i only run Gentoo for embedded devices and servers and Ubuntu for my workstations.

I am having a meeting with a professor from Computer Science in Chiangmai University next week about something else and will mention the idea of an English LUG here in Thailand. He might have some valuable input.

I agree, it is a great idea. My background is mainly Windoze with a few other OS's thrown in, I really want to get Linux going with Pascal so I can use my Delphi code. I want to find someone who knows how to make Lazarus work!!

Desperate Colin

Been looking a little around the net and there seems to be at least 2 Thai Linux User Groups, but unless you read and write Thai they are worthless. I will look for the LUG documents. Someone made a complete HOW-TO on how to start a LUG. I remember reading it a few years ago.

Years ago, a TLUG existed that met at Kasetsaert University, Bangkok, with predominately foreigners. After it folded, another TLUG opened up that operated in Thai which may still exist.

I'm a long-time Linux user but am not interested in joining a LUG. I use Mandriva Linux on my PC and Debian on a Nokia 770 and Nokia 810 tablets.

maybe this is off-subject, but is there anyone who really knows their Linux stuff, and would be willing to try to help me get my Acer Aspire One and Eee PC ironed out? A semi-bilingual Thai would be fine, and I could pay by the hour or a flat rate.

Right now I am in BKK, but looks like I might be moving to Chang Mai...

I really need some help. any suggestions would be great!

maybe this is off-subject, but is there anyone who really knows their Linux stuff, and would be willing to try to help me get my Acer Aspire One and Eee PC ironed out? A semi-bilingual Thai would be fine, and I could pay by the hour or a flat rate.

Maybe you should create a thread and list your problems.??

Maybe you should create a thread and list your problems.??

I would be interested in this TLUG as well. Right now I m living in the states but spend a lot of time in BKK each year. With our goal to be moving back in a couple of years. Also would be willing to help set up/host a UG site, as that makes it a little easier to keep up with whats going on.

My background is in debian/ Unix / web engineering.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Located in Chiangmai

Mate, I was very interested in GENTOO, but the package manager seems to be very complicated. A user of ubuntuusers.de advised me to read about the topic as much as possible, as there was no quick solution for this. It seems GENTOO is for real pros, isnt it ?

• 1 month later...

I folks!

Sorry I have been away a bit - I did relocate to Chiangmai, and the dust is just settling from the move....

Wow! Thanks for the responses - it looks like there is definitely enough people and will to get something going! Now that things have settled down a bit, I want to get going on setting up a LUG. I am starting to research this, and will let you know what i find. I hope we can get this going!

On a side note, I noticed a new release of Mandriva, that is supposed to cater to the new subnotebooks and laptops. I've been looking at reviews, and just downloaded the 32-bit version. I plan to try an install on my daughter's Eee soon. Anyone else played with it yet? Anyone with any Mandriva experience with comments?

Cheers!

I remembered there was this website www.thailinuxcafe.com and there was a link to Thai linux users group. They seem to be a friendly group, but too bad, the website does not work anymore. There is a discussion board on www.opentle.org. It's all in Thai, so for "farangs" and non-Thais it's going to be difficult. It could be worth a try.

Been using Mandrake, then RedHat, now Ubuntu.

I'm near Suvarnabhummi airport, living in company-provided apartment. It would be great to have an LUG in Bangkok. I'll be checking in here often if this is going to happen, can't miss it.

Sam

Edited by samakv

Located in Chiangmai

Mate, I was very interested in GENTOO, but the package manager seems to be very complicated. A user of ubuntuusers.de advised me to read about the topic as much as possible, as there was no quick solution for this. It seems GENTOO is for real pros, isnt it ?

I would not say Gentoo is for pros, but they definitely expect you have better knowledge of the system that commonly used distros like Unbutu and Mandriva.

Their package management (portage/emerge) is VERY flexible once you get to know it.

I would still recommend a Ubuntu box for desktop/notebook users though.. I only use Gentoo for embedded and server environments.

The biggest advantage of Gentoo over any dist out there is their documentation, which probably is the most extensive of any dist and their community.

• 1 month later...
I'm sure this has been brought up before. Are there any user groups here in Thailand where 'farangs' would be welcome?

In the past I have had great experience with LUGs in several European countries.

I am a System Administrator living in San Francisco and looking to meet other farangs with tech jobs in Thailand. Also am starting to look into possibility of working there. It seems like there is not very much Linux, but there must be some opportunity. I noticed a few good jobs on jobsdb.com

As to the question of forming a group, I think it's a great idea, as well. And somebody mentioned having a website. Would it be preferable for users if I started a new social network/blog/website just for this, or instead create a group on facebook or another big site that lots of people already use?

LUGs were popular back in the days when we were all on crappy dial up connections, package management was a distant dream and the primary purpose was to pass around disks of the latest kernel source code that took too long to download IMHO.

Nowadays we almost all have access to relatively fast and reliable 'net connections and there are very, very few issues that TV users will face that haven't been asked before and can be found by posting here or by hitting up the googles. The other purpose of LUGs was to have an "installfest" where people/newbies brought along their machines and some geek got a distro up and running on it but with the LiveCDs and the simplicity of getting Ubuntu, SuSe or Mandriva etc running now that is also kind of redundant.

It seems that now we have "Virtual LUGs", this section of TV is a perfect example of one.

Also, please read How to ask a question by Eric S. Raymond, Rick Moen. (warning: link is a text page but contains some not safe for work language)

Disclaimer: my pontification above is not aimed at anybody in particular, it is just my thoughts on the subject of a Thai LUG

• 4 weeks later...

There are loads of linux users in Thailand (BKK I mean). Just head over to a Barcamp to see them. As far as I know most of them seem to be thai and I would assume they have thai websites.

You linux nerds just need to head over to a barcamp to nerd out. Bangkok has had two already and there's also been some in Chiang Mai and Phuket as far as I know.

http://www.barcampbangkok.org/

http://www.barcampchiangmai.org/

http://www.barcampphuket.org/

BarCamp 2 in BKK had like 400+ nerds there for you to talk to IRL!

• 1 month later...

I am a System Administrator living in San Francisco and looking to meet other farangs with tech jobs in Thailand. Also am starting to look into possibility of working there. It seems like there is not very much Linux, but there must be some opportunity. I noticed a few good jobs on jobsdb.com

As to the question of forming a group, I think it's a great idea, as well. And somebody mentioned having a website. Would it be preferable for users if I started a new social network/blog/website just for this, or instead create a group on facebook or another big site that lots of people already use?

• 3 weeks later...

There is a weekly meeting for computer 'geeks' at Tuskers bar in Chiangmai. It is held every Tuesday at 1pm.

If you are in the area you are welcome to come by.

Lots of Linux related stuff and other OS's are discussed as well as general IT/Electronic issues.