Buying A Cheap Compaq Laptop

jasreeve17

I'm in Bangkok and in the market for a laptop. I want it for very basic usage only (Microsoft applications & maybe a wifi for the missus to use as she's coffeeing), as I've a pc at home.

The laptops I looked at which were just under 20k suit my needs, but don't have the microsoft operating system. Thus my questions are:-

1) Is a 20k compaq laptop ok? I don't really trust the Chinese / Thai brands.

2) I'm presuming the newer s/w won't run well on a low end laptop, so how much and where can I pick up a genuine copy of xp? (I wary of Pantip because my computing knowledge is very limited).

I'm open to spending a bit more if it's worthwhile.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Guest Reimar
I'm in Bangkok and in the market for a laptop. I want it for very basic usage only (Microsoft applications & maybe a wifi for the missus to use as she's coffeeing), as I've a pc at home.

The laptops I looked at which were just under 20k suit my needs, but don't have the microsoft operating system. Thus my questions are:-

1) Is a 20k compaq laptop ok? I don't really trust the Chinese / Thai brands.

2) I'm presuming the newer s/w won't run well on a low end laptop, so how much and where can I pick up a genuine copy of xp? (I wary of Pantip because my computing knowledge is very limited).

I'm open to spending a bit more if it's worthwhile.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Go for an Acer and forget Compaq!

Acer: Cheap and excellent Service all over Thailand, extend the Warranty for THB 2,990 to 3 Years and come with 1 Year Insurance as well!

Compaq: not so cheap, bad Service, 1 yuear warranty, no Insurance!

I use an Acer since October 2006 without any probs, had an Compaq before, a lot probs and terrible service and slow as well (with P4 2.8 Intel)! Sparepart problems within Warranty and unable to use for more than 2 month because of that!

Cheers.

Thanks for your suggestion Reimar.

I know that the cheaper products have cheaper components, but I always thought that Acer really took the piss by filling their low end products with dreadful components. I will follow your advice to the Acer shop and check them out, but I was favouring; Compaq, HP and Toshiba as brands I 'trusted'.

The warranty argument is a strong one and makes good sense.

I bought two Toshiba 15" models with legal software at 23k each about 14 months ago for teenage girls and have not been called to fix anything since. They must have 100 programs at start up but seem to cope.

I bought two Toshiba 15" models with legal software at 23k each about 14 months ago for teenage girls and have not been called to fix anything since. They must have 100 programs at start up but seem to cope.

Good to know. I've always liked Toshiba products. Thanks.

I appreciate Reimar's advice, but I just 'trust' Toshiba more than Acer.

I have bough roughly 10 Acers over the past year for my business, and have never had problems with them except from a bad dvd drive in one where they replaced the whole system the same day. These are all bought in Europe (Denmark) so I cannot say anything about the service here in Thailand.

The only thing I dislike about the Acer and most notebooks for that matter are all the flashing lights and fancy effects. Here the Sony Vaios are superior. No fancy stuff just pure functionality in a nicely designed case. This is why I prefer my Vaio over any other notebook I have seen. Clean and simple.

Hm... my understanding, based on prior experience, though I may be in error, is that ADC is specific and corporately personal, in that irrespective of programme, within the T&C it is clearly stated that materials may be transferred only to employees and contractors working for the same entity as the ADC registered member who have an existing ADC membership. The ADC registered member agrees that they will not otherwise transfer, publish, copy, or disseminate such ADC Materials.

If you do not hold an ADC membership yourself, you may well be in breach, albeit inadvertently, {as may be your friend} of the ADC T&C

Regards

ADC FAQ's

Guest Reimar
Hm... my understanding, based on prior experience, though I may be in error, is that ADC is specific and corporately personal, in that irrespective of programme, within the T&C it is clearly stated that materials may be transferred only to employees and contractors working for the same entity as the ADC registered member who have an existing ADC membership. The ADC registered member agrees that they will not otherwise transfer, publish, copy, or disseminate such ADC Materials.

If you do not hold an ADC membership yourself, you may well be in breach, albeit inadvertently, {as may be your friend} of the ADC T&C

Regards

ADC FAQ's

Ok, I do understand that and I'll check that out.

For the time being, I'll set the relevant Post's invisible and awaiting an answer from Apple and my Friend as well.

But the fact is that my registration, on my name, wasn't rejected from Apple which was for me prove enough of the legality of that software.

Cheers.

Guest Reimar

I had just set some post's invisible because for to check an status of legality for software I using by myself.

Thanks for understanding.

Personally I would stay clear of Acers. Although the support in Thailand is good, I know several people who have had serious hardware issues with them. Go for Lenovo/IBM if you want reliability, plus the quality of their cases is unsurpassed. There is a good selection out on display currently on the ground floor of Pantip Plaza currently. Otherwise check out IT City on the top floor.