One Kiss Was All It Took

simon43

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Simon the guy who had his gfs investigated by a private dick before he settled for one deemed faithful and honest? Certain impolite words and phrases come to mind to describe this little episode and his attitude to women.

He is also the guy who was a disk jockey on a pirate radio station in the North Sea in "the early 70s". As he was born in 1959, he was one h3ll of a young DJ ! :o:D:D

Does Genital Herpes (HSV-2) Accelerate HIV Infection?

By Leslie Laurence

Nearly 20% of the U.S. population over age 12 is infected with the virus that causes genital herpes. While antiviral drugs can offer them relief from the periodic outbreaks of painful sores, which characterize the sexually transmitted disease, there is no cure for herpes, or even a national effort to contain its spread.

As a result, in the United States the prevalence of genital herpes (or HSV-2) has jumped 30% since the late 1970s, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Currently, an estimated 45 million Americans are thought to be infected.

This high and growing number is especially worrisome to researchers investigating a possible synergy between HSV-2 and HIV/AIDS, a link first identified by the CDC in 1988 and supported throughout the 1990s by studies in the United States and abroad. Says Dr. Timothy Schacker, associate director of the Division of Infectious Diseases at the University of Minnesota, who has been studying the herpes-HIV link for more than a decade, "Early in the epidemic, persistent herpes was one of the first signs of HIV infection. Today it's the most common STD among people with HIV and symptom outbreaks are two to four times more frequent (in this population)."

In addition, says Schacker, a person with herpes is more likely than someone without it to acquire HIV from unprotected sex with an infected partner. "There are accumulating data to suggest a significant biological interaction between (herpes and HIV) that results in more efficient sexual transmission of HIV and an increased rate of HIV replication," he writes in the 2001 issue of the journal Herpes.

The way in which herpes increases HIV transmission is still unclear. Researchers theorize that the lesions provide an easy port of entry for the virus. While a report by the Institute of Medicine in the mid-1990s pointed out that STDs that cause genital ulcers, such as syphilis, may also increase vulnerability to HIV, public health experts say herpes is the most serious threat because of the exceptionally large number of people infected and because of its suspected ability to interact with HIV at the cellular level.

Studies by Schacker and colleagues at the University of Washington in Seattle in the early 1990s showed that the presence of herpes seems to accelerate development of AIDS. "If you were HIV-infected and had herpes, your herpes would recur (far) more often than if you were not HIV-infected," explains Schacker. "So you have an opportunistic infection that reactivates more frequently than almost any other (AIDS-related) infection, and the insidious thing is that it doesn't cause major disease. But when your herpes reactivates, your HIV replicates with greater efficiency and you have a faster progression of your HIV."

Researchers have yet to prove their underlying thesis that HIV and HSV-2 are intrinsically linked in some way other than both being linked to unprotected sexual contact. However, if their suspicions are correct that HSV-2 is highly implicated in both the transmission and progression of HIV/AIDS, the effect is potentially catastrophic. The CDC estimates that barely 20% of herpes cases are currently identified.

Unlike gonorrhea, syphilis and chlamydia, which are legally required to be reported to the CDC and to have efforts made to find and treat patients and their infected partners, there is no national outreach on herpes, not even routine screening at public health clinics.

Without symptoms, patients are unlikely to seek screening on their own, and recent studies suggest that some 80% of infections are transmitted via cells shed during asymptomatic periods. Dr. Robert E. Johnson of the CDC's Division of STD Prevention admits that the agency needs to do better. "Tests and therapies are now available, but a system to deal with herpes infection is not in place," he acknowledges.

Dr. Lawrence Corey, a professor in the Division of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the University of Washington, says physicians should do more. "At the very least, we should disclose to our patients that highly effective tests for herpes are now available. If we do not offer such service, we need to ask ourselves whether we will be comfortable explaining to our patients that we do not test for one of the most common STDs in the world."

However, widespread testing is itself a topic of considerable debate. Some researchers worry about the psychological impact on patients who get false-positive results. And they wonder how to counsel people who accurately learn they have an incurable viral disease that may increase their risk of HIV infection. The CDC has recently launched several studies to help clarify these and other issues related to testing for herpes.

In the end, however, identifying and counseling herpes carriers may do little to contain the disease. While treating herpes carriers with antiviral drugs, such as Valtrex, Famvir and Zovirax, can help reduce symptoms and viral shedding between outbreaks (by 94% in women, according to a study by Dr. Anna Wald of the University of Washington's Virology Research Clinic), it is unknown whether treatment helps limit the rate of transmission. Investigations to determine the answer are under discussion.

"We haven't done the groundwork to show that suppress(ing) herpes prevents the acquisition and transmission of HIV, " says Schacker, " but I think, frankly, we don't have the time to do that kind of study. Epidemiological data are suggestive enough and given that the worldwide epidemic is decimating entire populations, I think it's time to be a little bolder in looking at things that might stop the spread of HIV."

Unfortunately, a recent try at a herpes vaccine by the pharmaceutical manufacturer Chiron failed in clinical trials and another vaccine by then-named GlaxoWellcome, which proved partially protective in women, is nowhere near market-ready. At the moment, the only preventive method, other than abstinence, is condoms. Consistent and correct condom use can reduce the risk of transmission of genital herpes, but only when the infected areas are covered and protected by the condom. Indeed, the first randomized double-blind controlled study of genital herpes transmission from men to women found that condoms offered significant protection for women, according to Wald, who headed the research team.

Without an effective management strategy to combat the spread of herpes, the best hope for avoiding a calamity, if the virus is indeed the threat many researchers fear, is a public health campaign letting Americans know about the risks of infection. Dr. King Holmes, a University of Washington STD researcher, thinks a warning is long overdue: "The herpes and HIV story is to the point it's almost screaming now."

Does Genital Herpes (HSV-2) Accelerate HIV Infection?.....

I am not trying to belittle this article, but sometimes I wonder whether researchers get cause and effect confused.

Could it not be that people who <deleted> around and catch herpes, also <deleted> around and catch HIV?

gayflag.gif

Amazing Thailand deserves equally amazing farangs.

How True, I'll be in Thailand in a Few weeks. 

Meaning you are going to see your wife soon?

Seems she doesn't really want him in Thailand, and who could blame her ? :o

gayflag.gif

Sorry Doc But She LOVES me Her Exact Words :D Plus she thinks i'm charming :D

RDN: "I am not trying to belittle this article, but sometimes I wonder whether researchers get cause and effect confused.

Could it not be that people who <deleted> around and catch herpes, also <deleted> around and catch HIV?"

Yes, I can sympathize with your point, but they are talking about specific biological interactions here. The hypothesis of this article is that herpes sufferers are much more likely to contract HIV than those without HIV because the virus can gain faster access through their lesions.

RDN:  "I am not trying to belittle this article, but sometimes I wonder whether researchers get cause and effect confused.

Could it not be that people who <deleted> around and catch herpes, also <deleted> around and catch HIV?"

Yes, I can sympathize with your point, but they are talking about specific biological interactions here.  The hypothesis of this article is that herpes sufferers are much more likely to contract HIV than those without HIV because the virus can gain faster access through their lesions.

One worrying statement they make is: "But when your herpes reactivates, your HIV replicates with greater efficiency and you have a faster progression of your HIV."

But they also say: "Researchers have yet to prove their underlying thesis that HIV and HSV-2 are intrinsically linked in some way other than both being linked to unprotected sexual contact."

Let's hope they can get to the bottom of it :D:o

But now that the damage is done Simon, I think that you can only catch herpes when it is contagious.  During the rest of the time it is dormant - Please someone correct me on this if I am incorrect because I am not 100 percent sure.

Generally speaking, the contagious period is when there are symptoms, but apparently some people shed the virus when there are no symptoms. Also, for females the symptoms may not be external and for either sex the symptom might not be visible (i.e. tingling or itching of the skin).

It's the few women who get out the scissors to feed the ducks that worry me  :D

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about that because there has never been a case of it happening to a farang in Thailand. For the cold sores, you can take Acyclovir or one of the alternatives when the first symptoms occur. You can also take a "maintenance" dose daily to prevent attacks, but the medication is pretty expensive.

But be careful where you buy it. Last month I was in a crowded Boots Emporium branch when I heard a farang ask for Acyclovir. The girl behind the counter then practically shouted at the top of her voice: "NOW, WILL THAT BE FOR HERPES SIMPLEX TYPE 1 OR HERPES SIMPLEX TYPE 2, SIR?" :o

I suppose an update is in order. My mouth is slowly recovering, after major dosages of suitable medicines. I only had an issue with my mouth, and not with any other part of my anatomy :o

I had an Aids test, which proved negative. I'm aware that I need to repeat this test in a month or so. But the history of this girl was such that I was not fearing an HIV infection. Oh, and no syphillis, gornarhea (can't spell that!), or any other STD at all. It was just the kiss . . .

This girl no longer works in any bars as a bar-girl or 'dek-serf', so the risk of her infecting other guys is minimal. But I have also tried to educate her about cold sore viruses, and she has been telling her working friends about this subject, and advising them to not work if they have such a cold sore.

Be aware that if 80% of the population typically carry this virus, then the likely occurance amongst working girls is probably higher. DaveThailand, do you ever have an issue with cold sores like these in your bar?

I suppose an update is in order.  My mouth is slowly recovering, after major dosages of suitable medicines.  I only had an issue with my mouth, and not with any other part of my anatomy  :D

I had an Aids test, which proved negative. I'm aware that I need to repeat this test in a month or so.  But the history of this girl was such that I was not fearing an HIV infection. Oh, and no syphillis, gornarhea (can't spell that!), or any other STD at all.  It was just the kiss . . .

This girl no longer works in any bars as a bar-girl or 'dek-serf', so the risk of her infecting other guys is minimal.  But I have also tried to educate her about cold sore viruses, and she has been telling her working friends about this subject, and advising them to not work if they have such a cold sore.

Be aware that if 80% of the population typically carry this virus, then the likely occurance amongst working girls is probably higher.  DaveThailand, do you ever have an issue with cold sores like these in your bar?

I get coldsores on the odd occasion, pain in the ass are'nt they. :o

I don't have a problem with that as I only have 5 reception girls and they don't normally go with customers. :D

Hi Dickie, After my last week of concerns, I'm in agreement with you. I'm still alive. My d*ck has not dropped off. My mouth is still tender but recovering. And the girl in question is now very understanding about the risks of kissing with a cold sore - as am I!!

Has your wife learned to swim yet?

No!! I have been rather busy during the past few days :o

And actually, both 'wife' and Mia Noi need to learn to swim. Do you think the hotel will give me a discount if we all share a room??? :D