Important books to read

wilson steer

Fellas:

Instead of reading all these novels on Thai women, Pattaya bar hos, etc... and are looking for advice on how to survive it all, I suggest you follow my advice to a tee and skip all of this bullshit....

Here it is,....

Find the girl

F%^k the girl

Forget the girl.

Thats it.  So simple.  Works every time. 

In addition to this, I suggest 3 rules to follow when playing the scene in Thailand:

1.  Always Pay

2.  Never take a girl to your place.  Get a cheap hotel room and take a girl for 2 hours or less.

3.  Never see the same bar girl more than once.

There.  These shouldhelp you newbies and inexperienced men out and it took you less than 30 seconds to get this advice.

Why would u want to read crap books like these when there are so many better reads?  Dont understand some of you guys!

Turok

:o Typical Turpok post, go back to your X-box and stop meddling in the affairs of grown up's. Maybee you should do an on-line search for Nursery Rhyme books, that would keep you occupied for a while.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi lappami1,

I'm glad you finished the book!

Alcohol can be a dangerous companion.

Like you I now try to be more responsible.

The rule is : Alcohol only Friday and Saturday (and when on holiday).

Unfortunately I still sometimes break this rule.

However, I am currently employed, solvent (barely) and occassionally happy.

I hope it lasts but the IT industry is a tough one for dinosaurs with addictive tendencies.

-Best wishes, PP

Best wishes for you too PP. I'll buy you a drink if we sometimes meet in Pattaya. You'll never know. Anything can happen. It's a small world. Maybe later you'll write a bestseller and you'll come to Helsinki marketing your book :D I finished a week ago a very good book that I can recommend for all, Warren Fellows' Damage Done. I think everybody thinks twice before smuggling drugs after reading this book. Warren spent 12 years in monkey house in Bangkok :o

Best wishes for you too PP. I'll buy you a drink if we sometimes meet in Pattaya. You'll never know. Anything can happen. It's a small world. Maybe later you'll write a bestseller and you'll come to Helsinki marketing your book :D I finished a week ago a very good book that I can recommend for all, Warren Fellows' Damage Done. I think everybody thinks twice before smuggling drugs after reading this book. Warren spent 12 years in monkey house in Bangkok :o

That's a coincidence!

I recently finished that very same book (The Damage Done).

At least alcohol is legal (almost everywhere).

It IS a small world.

See you in Pattaya!

I'm just finishing, 'The Day the World Exploded- Krakatoa,' by Simon Winchester.

It's a historical account of the eruption and complete destruction of Krakatoa off Java in 1883. It makes the last tsunami seem inconsequential in comparison. The only thing that made the recent tsunami more devastating was the greater numbers of dead; Krakatoa killed about 36,000, but the absolute strength and power of the 1883 eruption and tsunamis that resulted were unbelievable.

It was the most devastating natural disaster in human recorded history and the strange thing is that I never learned about it nor heard about it in any class I had as a kid or high school student. What the #### were they teaching me I wonder?

• 1 month later...

""""Private Dancer is a GREAT Book. Love the layout also. Really nails Thai culture. Love the part about the Japaneese Issan wedding.

Another good one is "My Name Lon, you like me?" About a money hungry Thai ho from Pattaya and her money hungry family in Issan. Good quick read.

Both, should be mandatory reading for the Isaan home builder."""

I read My Name is Lon--You Like Me? and was startled/pleased to see that it

is much much more than just a naught bargirl bio. It is really a book about Thailand using a bargirl bio as the post around which the tendrils of social commentary entwine. Although this is difficult to do, I feel the author got away with it. More than that I feel strongly that this is the best book on THAILAND I have ever read.

If a newbie to the Thai scene asked me for one book to read that would picture the Thailand that Thais live in I would recommend this book.

Anyway, the book My Name is Lon--You Like Me? is the finest of its genre (bargirl bio) probably that will ever be written and I found the social commentary balanced and accurate and particularly telling from the personal point-of-view of Lon. A fine book.

For newbies travelling to Thailand for the first time, or those who have just returned from their first trip, I like to hand them one of Neil Hutchinson's (?) books,

Money # 1

Money Still # 1

A Fool in Paradise

The Fool is Back

Especially for those that have just returned from their first trip, it helps to bring them back down to earth.

I bought (A Cure For) Thailand Fever awhile ago. I pretty much knew what it was going to be like from reviews I'd read. Good to give the g/f to read before things get too serious.

For the most part though, I like to live the story, rather than read about how someone else lived it. Much more entertaining !

• 2 weeks later...

My 16 y/o son arrived in Thailand for the 1st time last August. I bought him a copy of Money #1 due to the fact that it nails most Thai chicks on the head in a compact little handbook. The book is short and simple which mimmicks what many Thai girls and their actions are (hardly complex and common among many). My son got a kick out of the book for comedic reasons. He won't have to worry about knowing the stuff anytime soon as he finds Thai chicks to be unattractive. Who can blame him at his age. He hardly has a need for Thai chicks when he has so many farang hot chicks available. Thai chicks are a decent fall back option for older dudes who have difficulty in getting hot young farang chicks. My kid has his whole life ahead of him in the USA and Thailand offers nothing to a young dude, perhaps it will some day or perhaps it won't.

I'm just finishing, 'The Day the World Exploded- Krakatoa,' by Simon Winchester.

It's a historical account of the eruption and complete destruction of Krakatoa off Java in 1883. It makes the last tsunami seem inconsequential in comparison. The only thing that made the recent tsunami more devastating was the greater numbers of dead; Krakatoa killed about 36,000, but the absolute strength and power of the 1883 eruption and tsunamis that resulted were unbelievable.

It was the most devastating natural disaster in human recorded history and the strange thing is that I never learned about it nor heard about it in any class I had as a kid or high school student. What the #### were they teaching me I wonder?

Seriously? Where did you go to school? :o

Hey everybody!

I've noticed that people usually say "Flying over from Europe or USA" What about Canadians?! Hehe

Here's a poem I wrote in grade 9. I am now freshly graduated. Class of 2004.

In no means am I a decent writer or make any claims to be. The day I write a book will be the day I write a book.

The man had a strong hard stoney looking face; he looked like his face was carved out of stone. Broad strong thick shoulders and a long broad nose. Tan dark hair and ice blue eyes. He walked with deadly grace like he looked casual but about to spring the moment.

A large sword on his back and dark coloured coat and cloak. Dark brown pants and black boots. He had a commanding voice and an aura of power and grace surrounded him.

When I saw him in battle he looked like a possessed man never slowing, like a whirlwind, striking down everything coming in his path.

When I saw him talk to his love, he showed great compassion and love. I never realized this hard man could be poetic, too. It was like watching an ugly moth turn into a beautiful mutterfly in the sense of emotions and presence, his hardness faded.

Jesse Doerksen

April 26, 2001

Flame away. I WAS a juvenille when I wrote that and I still am! Hahaha I figured I'd throw some of my stuff in the oven to take some of the heat off PP.

Jesse! Not a flame - come on! How many 14 year old guys never included swords in poetry? Its that whole Freudian thing about sharp blades and phalusses...

Fair play to you for putting it out there! Just one thing - what the ######'s a muttertfly?

:o