Important books to read

wilson steer

I would guess that many Thailand Ex-Pats, residents have read those two books Money#1 and Patpong on Steroids. They both serve as good guides to the bar scene in Thailand and particularly Pattaya.

Personally I think they should hand out Money#1 on the plane over (from U.S.A./Europe).

However completely by accident I have discovered another book, complete and online, free of charge about a mans experience of Philippines/Pattaya. It makes a good read.

The address is complex, so just use three keywords in a search engine: Paul Pisces Pattaya.

It's worth a look!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep hearing about 'Pan Maa Baa'. Does anyone have an ISBN of something, can't find it under this name. Or a URL if its ebook based. ???

PS: Interesting factual book: "Guns, Grils, Gambling, Ganja Thailand's Illegal Economy and Public Policy" - how about that for a title!  :o - By three Thai's in English - Silkworm Press (PO Box 76, Chiang Mai 50000) - ISBN: 974-7100-75-4.

Cheers,

• 2 years later...

I am glad you liked the book!

It is here (free).

http://www.digs.demon.co.uk

-Regards, Paul Pisces (the author)

<font color='#000000'>I would guess that many Thailand Ex-Pats, residents have read those two books Money#1 and Patpong on Steroids. They both serve as good guides to the bar scene in Thailand and particularly Pattaya.

Personally I think they should hand out Money#1 on the plane over (from U.S.A./Europe).

However completely by accident I have discovered another book, complete and online, free of charge about a mans experience of Philippines/Pattaya. It makes a good read.

The address is complex, so just use three keywords in a search engine: Paul Pisces Pattaya.

It's worth a look!</font>

Hi t/l,

I found this site totally by accident when googling.

If you read the book you can give feedback here:

http://p221.ezboard.com/fdesperatelyseekin...ndsobrietyfrm49

Or email me ([email protected]).

-Regards, PP

Took a while Paul, were you aware of thaivisa previously? or did you just bump into during s google search?

Anyway, I look forward to having a read.

best

t/l

Slackula,

I hope very much that you've finished my book by now!

Thankyou for your kind words.

Another great book is:

'Private Dancer' - Stephen Leather

http://www.stephenleather.com/thebooks_privatedancer.htm

It used to be free (don't know if it is now).

To finish I have a poem for you:

Madness:

I live at the edge of madness,

As I scale the mountain top,

Up here it's quite peculiar,

It's where mortals fear to tread.

Saints are on my right side,

Satan on my left,

The Angels smile politely,

As they tuck me up in bed.

I'm high up in the mountains,

Where the mythos is too thin,

There's little air or oxygen,

Most here, like me, are dead.

I used to think so clearly,

Now I don't think at all,

The remnants of my sanity,

Shotgun blasted from my head.

-Paul Pisces

I am not entirely sane but I am not a lost cause.

I live, I breathe, I think, I am.

So far, so good :o

I've read a few chapters, can't read too much as I am at work. So far I'm enjoying it very much.

Slackula,

I hope very much that you've finished my book by now!

Thankyou for your kind words.

Another great book is:

'Private Dancer' - Stephen Leather

http://www.stephenleather.com/thebooks_privatedancer.htm

It used to be free (don't know if it is now).

Private Dancer is a GREAT Book. Love the layout also. Really nails Thai culture. Love the part about the Japaneese Issan wedding.

Another good one is "My Name Lon, you like me?" About a money hungry Thai ho from Pattaya and her money hungry family in Issan. Good quick read.

Both, should be mandatory reading for the Isaan home builder.

And two more, both fiction, both by Chart Korbjitti. Available Asia Books.

Time, translated by Marcel Barang

The Judgemant translated by David Smyth (same author as Teach yourself Thai). Good book for a window into life of the really poor.

It took awhile to find a feally good Thai author with English translation. Chart Korbjitti really fits the bill.

Its called "Desperately Seeking Sex & Sobriety".

I will read it soon, it seems very interesting. :D

I want to suggest another good book, it's about realtions between thai and western people, it's written in two languages : english-thai.

It's very useful to compare values, lifestyle and more with a thai girlfriend .

The title is : Thailand Fever - a road map for thai-western relationship by Chris Pirazzi and Vitida Vasant - Paiboon Publishing.

It is suggested as a good medicine against Thailand fever.

After reading it fever didn't stop :D but now i understand better many attitudes and situations that everyone has encountered in Thailand :o

I bought in Thailand but I think it's easy to find in many online bookstore.

Fellas:

Instead of reading all these novels on Thai women, Pattaya bar hos, etc... and are looking for advice on how to survive it all, I suggest you follow my advice to a tee and skip all of this bullshit....

Here it is,....

Find the girl

F%^k the girl

Forget the girl.

Thats it. So simple. Works every time.

In addition to this, I suggest 3 rules to follow when playing the scene in Thailand:

1. Always Pay

2. Never take a girl to your place. Get a cheap hotel room and take a girl for 2 hours or less.

3. Never see the same bar girl more than once.

There. These shouldhelp you newbies and inexperienced men out and it took you less than 30 seconds to get this advice.

Why would u want to read crap books like these when there are so many better reads? Dont understand some of you guys!

Turok

Edited by Turok

"Desperately Seeking Sex & Sobriety"

by Paul Pisces

(Charles Bukowski meets Hunter S. Thompson with a shade of Robert M. Pirsig)

A Cautionary Tale of Sex Tourism, Drugs, Alcohol, Prostitution & Suicide

who are you kidding mr. pisces ?

mentioning your amatuer scribblings in the same breath as thompson , bukowski and pirsig.

if those three had met they would have laughed you out of the library.

i'm sorry mr. pisces , i read a couple of the chapters but i couldnt read any more , it was just too painfully childish. like reading the ego-driven rantings of students who think they are clever.

well done for actually writing a book , but better you make a start on your second , rather than waste your time dwelling on the first.

and please , dont compare yourself to real storytellers.

i feel that those who praise your story have little to compare it with other than their own sad forays into the world you singularly have failed to portray.

i'm sorry mr. pisces , i read a couple of the chapters but i couldnt read any more , it was just too painfully childish. like reading the ego-driven rantings of students who think they are clever.

It would have been nice if you had read the whole book but thanks for the feedback anyway.

Of the three writers I mention Pirsig is the only real genius - I do not come close.

-PP

Of the three writers I mention Pirsig is the only real genius -

although thompson and bukowski make good reading , for my money , the best writer of that genre is henry miller , if you have not already read his stuff , then i can recommend him.

all those thinking about writing books concerning the quest for raw sex , should study miller before even thinking of dipping their quills in the ink.

Edited by taxexile

although thompson and bukowski make good reading , for my money , the best writer of that genre is henry miller , if you have not already read his stuff , then i can recommend him.

all those thinking about writing books concerning the quest for raw sex , should study miller before even thinking of dipping their quills in the ink.

My book is actually more about alcoholism than sex but I'll have a look at Miller.

I've heard of him but never read any of his books.

-PP

Madness:

I live at the edge of madness,

As I scale the mountain top,

Up here it's quite peculiar,

It's where mortals fear to tread.

Saints are on my right side,

Satan on my left,

The Angels smile politely,

As they tuck me up in bed.

I'm high up in the mountains,

Where the mythos is too thin,

There's little air or oxygen,

Most here, like me, are dead.

I used to think so clearly,

Now I don't think at all,

The remnants of my sanity,

Shotgun blasted from my head.

-Paul Pisces

Good luck with that writing career dude. :D:o

Pisces, I hate to say this - but I am semi-inebriated, (thanks to Chuchok).

Your writing is the wobbliest novella writing of all time. It is even wobblier than mine, and I thought mine was the most inferior of all time. It is not even first form secondary modern school quality; 'what I did at the weekend' standard.

I advise you to self-publish your work and go from there. Ian Quartermaine (aka Jake Anthony) has done precisely that.

He does have some ability, although largely markets his work on the rear-cover basis of 'danger: small boys being abused in this fictional piece', in order to pique the interest of weirdo buyers ...and then disappoints them by mere scant reference inside to infantile backdoor shenanigans.

Good luck with that writing career dude.  :D  :o

Hi bkkmadness,

Don't you like my poem???

Maybe not.

I don't have a writing career.

"Some people have described me as a failed author. However, this is inaccurate. The reality is that I dream of being successful enough to be called a failed author. It's something I aspire to. : ) "

-Kind regards, PP

Didn't rate the book at all. The book just screams immature young male using tried and tested methods of "getting laid" didn't like the tone either.

Hi Ice Maiden,

I appreciate the honest feedback.

You can't please everybody....

I mostly agree with you - at 46 I am still immature (not young though).

Sorry about the tone - that is just me.

FYI:

In my book there are 22 "God"s, 85 "f##k"s and 3 "c##t"s (4 c##ts including me). A surprisingly good recipe for life in my opinion.

-Very best wishes, PP

Edited by paulpisces

Your writing is the wobbliest novella writing of all time. It is even wobblier than mine, and I thought mine was the most inferior of all time. It is not even first form secondary modern school quality; 'what I did at the weekend' standard.

Hi The_Moog,

I don't altogether agree with your assessment but I appreciate the comments nevertheless.

Here are 2 reviews on http://www.amazon.co.uk (and I DIDN'T write them - honest):

"The reader can smell the sweet perspiration on a crack-smoking Filipina's body,smell the bile from alcohol poisoned, computer expert, Paul Pisces body; taste the hit of Vodka first thing on a morning, and the cold steel of a shotgun.

I began this book and it drew me in - I had to finish it in one sitting. Pisces goes from Colchester to Crazy like a nihilistic bed bug on benzedrine. Amsterdam, Bangkok, San Francisco, and finally the red light district of Manchester are all explored as he looks for meaning amongst prostitutes,disillusioned with his career,an alcoholic sliding towards the final rendezvous with a loaded shotgun.

A classic of the genre. Look forward to reading more from this author."

"This book is a dark, painful, vulgar true to life story of simply being human. It's written with flair, honesty and without doubt love, and is the kind of book that could readily be misunderstood. The degree to which you reject the storyteller and his tale will tellingly reveal how you judge yourself.

Paul Pisces writes with charm, wit and style about the parts of me I'd rather disown. By his owning those parts in him, I too am given another chance.

They say honesty is the best policy. This book is vulgar, shocking, painful. The price of honesty. It's also very funny. How could it not be."

-Regards, PP

Edited by paulpisces

Hi The_Moog,

I don't altogether agree with your assessment but I appreciate the comments nevertheless.

Here are 2 reviews on http://www.amazon.co.uk (and I DIDN'T write them - honest):

"The reader can smell the sweet perspiration on a crack-smoking Filipina's body,smell the bile from alcohol poisoned, computer expert, Paul Pisces body; taste the hit of Vodka first thing on a morning, and the cold steel of a shotgun.

I began this book and it drew me in - I had to finish it in one sitting. Pisces goes from Colchester to Crazy like a nihilistic bed bug on benzedrine. Amsterdam, Bangkok, San Francisco, and finally the red light district of Manchester are all explored as he looks for meaning amongst prostitutes,disillusioned with his career,an alcoholic sliding towards the final rendezvous with a loaded shotgun.

A classic of the genre. Look forward to reading more from this author."

"This book is a dark, painful, vulgar true to life story of simply being human. It's written with flair, honesty and without doubt love, and is the kind of book that could readily be misunderstood. The degree to which you reject the storyteller and his tale will tellingly reveal how you judge yourself.

Paul Pisces writes with charm, wit and style about the parts of me I'd rather disown. By his owning those parts in him, I too am given another chance.

They say honesty is the best policy. This book is vulgar, shocking, painful. The price of honesty. It's also very funny. How could it not be."

-Regards, PP

Must admit that the reviews were more enjoyable reading than that which I managed to read of the book.

Hi The_Moog,

Here are 2 reviews on http://www.amazon.co.uk

(and I DIDN'T write them - honest):

Well, gosh, everybody -- even you -- must have at least two friends......

Fellas:

Instead of reading all these novels on Thai women, Pattaya bar hos, etc... and are looking for advice on how to survive it all, I suggest you follow my advice to a tee and skip all of this bullshit....

Here it is,....

Find the girl

F%^k the girl

Forget the girl.

Thats it.  So simple.  Works every time. 

In addition to this, I suggest 3 rules to follow when playing the scene in Thailand:

1.  Always Pay

2.  Never take a girl to your place.  Get a cheap hotel room and take a girl for 2 hours or less.

3.  Never see the same bar girl more than once.

There.  These shouldhelp you newbies and inexperienced men out and it took you less than 30 seconds to get this advice.

Why would u want to read crap books like these when there are so many better reads?  Dont understand some of you guys!

Turok

Bit of common sense here, but nothing wrong with reading some of these books in a sitting.

'Tropic of Cancer' is my all time favorite, 'Air Conditioned Nightmare' is a good travelers tale of his journies in the US. 'The World of Sex' is also good. I have a few others, 'Remember to Remember' and 'Nexus', but I can't remember them well. If you're only going to read one of his books, read 'Tropic of Cancer.' It's a classic of filth, dirt, sex, hard drinking and hard living. Here is a sample: "For a man in the paddock, whose duty it is to sweep up manure, the supreme terror is the possibility of a world without horses. To tell him that it is disgusting to spend one's life shoveling up hot turds is a piece of imbecility. A man can get to love sh!t if his livlihood depends on it, if his happiness is involved."