Important books to read

wilson steer

I've just read Paul Pisces book and enjoyed it!

I have a fairly wide range of reading material and like to think that I can put comparisons aside, and just enjoy the book in hand, which I did.

One thing is for sure, I have written a little myself, I would never show it to you lot for a review!

:o

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are writers and editors and critics. Some writers need editors some editors need writers. Some where someone needs critics. Critics are neither writers or editors. There are very few writers and even fewer editors. There are many critics.

I was writing a story about a prostitute that I know well and she told me that before I published anything she would have to edit my work to make sure that I portrayed her accurately.

I happen to like prostitutes because I think they make good wives and lovers.

I also think wives and lovers make good prostitutes.

When I was young (23) I had a little office in Hamilton Ontario and I went to work every day and got drunk at lunch and read Henry Miller every afternoon with my door locked and my phone turned off. Then had an affair with a young woman I met on the bus every afternoon on the way home. The bus driver had a difficult time driving trying to watch us have sex as he negotiated the trip from Hamilton to Toronto.

I, like many here have faced the decision of becoming a drunken expat or being a respectable expat. I find nothing wrong with either genre. I have tried both.

Dance like no one is watching. Write like everyone in the story is dead.

I once tried writing like James Joyce and my English instructor told me I could stop using punctuation when I reached the stature of a Joyce.

Now think of what would have happened if Joyce and I had the same professor.

I know Ken Kesey. Ken had a successful Broadway play running at 19. Now he is very fuc**d up.

I waited till I was almost 60 to get fuc**d up.

Nat why are you washing my underwear and socks? The laundry is included in the apartment rent.

Because Buddha.

OK

Nat why are you taking your third shower of the day it is only 4 PM.

To smell good for you, papa.

Nat, can we go out tonight, just the two of us?

But May like you soo much.

I know, and I like May but sometime I just like to be with just you. I old you know.

Ok papa but May cry.

Stephen Leary's Private Dancer I enjoyed very much though it was a little painful to read because I recognized myself thinking same way of one cute thai girl before. I must say that I was almost as fool as the main character in the book. Now I will read that Paul Pisces book internet version. I heard it's mainly about alcoholism, that is not too unfamiliar to me too :o

I've just read Paul Pisces book and enjoyed it!

I have a fairly wide range of reading material and like to think that I can put comparisons aside,  and just enjoy the book in hand, which I did.

One thing is for sure, I have written a little myself, I would never show it to you lot for a review!

:D

Chonabot,

Thanks for your kind words.

This is a hard crowd to please.

It may not be Shakespeare but it is FREE! :o

I have ordered some Henry Miller from Amazon for more inspiration.....

And for the record: I have the greatest respect, love and affection for prostitutes.

(One is sleeping in my bed as I type.)

-Best wishes, PP

Edited by paulpisces

I have the greatest respect, love and affection for prostitutes

but do prostitutes have the same respect , love and affection for their customers.?

It's a good question.

I think it all depends.

It depends on you and it depends on her.

I should write a book about it (oh no I've done that!)

Whatever we do in life we are all just people trying to get by.

(Philosophy over; earth calling Paul; back to reality)

-PP

I get the feeling this topic has gone off in another direction but for what it is worth...

Books about / by Thai’s I’ve read recently. All together these and some others have helped me expand my thinking and understanding of the culture around me. Never been to the bar scene in Thailand so can’t say what’s good if you want to negotiate that world but if you’re interested in understanding other aspects there are some good books. Would love recommendations on more.

Fiction

“Jasmine Nights” is my favorite book by a Thai author. This is a highly recommended.

“A Child from the Northeast” Bad translation in the title, in Thai it’s Issan. And all through there are typos and poor translations but accept that. All in all it’s a good insight to the Issan culture 80 years ago and a warm tale from the eyes of a young boy.

“Many Lives” was good – really a collection of short stories around a theme. Made me think a lot.

“Letters from Thailand” for another view of Thai culture from a Chinese emigrant.

“Bangkok 8” was a fun read – by a farang.

Non-Fiction

“Wondering into Thai Culture” was a series of essays I liked by a farang living here. Thoughtful on our respective cultures.

“Culture Shock Thailand” was just OK – but never hurts to understand some basics.

“Thailand Fever” was good in terms of relationship fundamentals – and really they apply beyond that. Better than it’s title suggests.

“Bridging the Gap” was good for the work place. And again if you’re trying to understand the Thai culture around you it does give you that.

I started reading Paul Pisces' book yesterday and I think I finish it today. It's not great litterature but good entertainment. I wait eagerly for the Thailand part of the book. I just finished the studies part of the book. I think Paul is not much older than me. I listened too Blondie's Parallel Lines when I was teenager and I studied ADP and been working with computers since 1988. I was born in 1962.

I started reading Paul Pisces' book yesterday and I think I finish it today. It's not great litterature but good entertainment. I wait eagerly for the Thailand part of the book. I just finished the studies part of the book. I think Paul is not much older than me. I listened too Blondie's Parallel Lines when I was teenager and I studied ADP and been working with computers since 1988. I was born in 1962.

Hi lappami1,

Thanks for the feedback!

To quote 'Police' I was "Born in the fifties" (just) - 1959.

-PP

Slackula,

I hope very much that you've finished my book by now!

Thankyou for your kind words.

Another great book is:

'Private Dancer' - Stephen Leather

http://www.stephenleather.com/thebooks_privatedancer.htm

It used to be free (don't know if it is now).

To finish I have a poem for you:

Madness:

I live at the edge of madness,

As I scale the mountain top,

Up here it's quite peculiar,

It's where mortals fear to tread.

Saints are on my right side,

Satan on my left,

The Angels smile politely,

As they tuck me up in bed.

I'm high up in the mountains,

Where the mythos is too thin,

There's little air or oxygen,

Most here, like me, are dead.

I used to think so clearly,

Now I don't think at all,

The remnants of my sanity,

Shotgun blasted from my head.

-Paul Pisces

I am not entirely sane but I am not a lost cause.

I live, I breathe, I think, I am.

So far, so good :o

I've read a few chapters, can't read too much as I am at work. So far I'm enjoying it very much.

Whatever you do Paul, for heaven's sake do not give up the day job.

Hi deus,

I wrote the book over 12 months when I couldn't get a day job to save my life.

The IT industry was completely f'd after the dotcom boom.

Now I am working in Switzerland and regard myself as very lucky to have a job at all.

If you read the book (all of it) I am very interested in what you think - good or bad.

Anyway here is another poem:

My poetry is crap

My life and future are goo

I lose myself in f'ing

I lose myself in you

I know you don't love me

But getting f'd takes 2

We are f'g like bonobos

Like chimps in the zoo

This may sound depressing

But depression is what I do

F'g is my lifestyle

So f'k me, f'k you too

-PP

Uuhh...I'd lay off the rhymes and stick to writing. I haven't read your book, but I'll get it and read when I've got a chance.

mbkudu,

I'm fairly serious about the book - as serious as I ever get :o

The poems are (like me) juvenile:

Here's another:

I am the baddest of the bad men

The sweetest of the saints

I am the romance of romantics

The slipperiest of the sly

I am the biggest of the losers

The smallest in the church

I am the loveliest of the lovers

The truth and the lie

I am the way to darkness

And the way to the light

I love you in your glory

I'll still love you when you die

-PP

Hi deus,

I wrote the book over 12 months when I couldn't get a day job to save my life.

The IT industry was completely f'd after the dotcom boom.

Now I am working in Switzerland and regard myself as very lucky to have a job at all.

If you read the book (all of it) I am very interested in what you think - good or bad.

Anyway here is another poem:

My poetry is crap

My life and future are goo

I lose myself in f'ing

I lose myself in you

I know you don't love me

But getting f'd takes 2

We are f'g like bonobos

Like chimps in the zoo

This may sound depressing

But depression is what I do

F'g is my lifestyle

So f'k me, f'k you too

-PP

Point taken.It has structure..........

Hey everybody!

I've noticed that people usually say "Flying over from Europe or USA" What about Canadians?! Hehe

Here's a poem I wrote in grade 9. I am now freshly graduated. Class of 2004.

In no means am I a decent writer or make any claims to be. The day I write a book will be the day I write a book.

The man had a strong hard stoney looking face; he looked like his face was carved out of stone. Broad strong thick shoulders and a long broad nose. Tan dark hair and ice blue eyes. He walked with deadly grace like he looked casual but about to spring the moment.

A large sword on his back and dark coloured coat and cloak. Dark brown pants and black boots. He had a commanding voice and an aura of power and grace surrounded him.

When I saw him in battle he looked like a possessed man never slowing, like a whirlwind, striking down everything coming in his path.

When I saw him talk to his love, he showed great compassion and love. I never realized this hard man could be poetic, too. It was like watching an ugly moth turn into a beautiful mutterfly in the sense of emotions and presence, his hardness faded.

Jesse Doerksen

April 26, 2001

Flame away. I WAS a juvenille when I wrote that and I still am! Hahaha I figured I'd throw some of my stuff in the oven to take some of the heat off PP.

Hey everybody!

I've noticed that people usually say "Flying over from Europe or USA" What about Canadians?! Hehe

In no means am I a decent writer or make any claims to be. The day I write a book will be the day I write a book.

The man had a strong hard stoney looking face; he looked like his face was carved out of stone. Broad strong thick shoulders and a long broad nose. Tan dark hair and ice blue eyes. He walked with deadly grace like he looked casual but about to spring the moment.

A large sword on his back and dark coloured coat and cloak. Dark brown pants and black boots. He had a commanding voice and an aura of power and grace surrounded him.

When I saw him in battle he looked like a possessed man never slowing, like a whirlwind, striking down everything coming in his path.

When I saw him talk to his love, he showed great compassion and love. I never realized this hard man could be poetic, too. It was like watching an ugly moth turn into a beautiful mutterfly in the sense of emotions and presence, his hardness faded.

Jesse Doerksen

April 26, 2001

Flame away. I WAS a juvenille when I wrote that and I still am! Hahaha I figured I'd throw some of my stuff in the oven to take some of the heat off PP.

Wow, I'm surprised you actually graduated :o

Forgive my ignorance of the Canadian grade system, but how old would one be in grade 9?

Edit courtesy of Jesse sharp eye :D

Edited by Davey

Hey everybody!

A large sword on his back and dark coloured coat and cloak. Dark brown pants and <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=31&k=black%20boots" onmouseover="window.status='black boots'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">black boots</a>. He had a commanding voice and an aura of power and grace surrounded him.

Jesse Doerksen

April 26, 2001

Wow, I'm surprise you actually graduated :o

Forgive my ignorance of the Candanian grade system, but how old would one be in grade 9?

Well, I'm all surprised* I graduated and the Canadian* grading system would make me 15 for grade 9 but I was 14 when I wrote that. I had not had my birthday yet.

Well, I'm all surprised* I graduated and the Canadian* grading system would make me 15 for grade 9 but I was 14 when I wrote that. I had not had my birthday yet.

If it's any consolation, what I said was only in jest.

Another question, how old are you when you graduate from high-school (as I believe you's call it)

Oh, and as for Paul Pisces book, I read it all. I don't have much to compare it to in relation of it's genre, except from Private dancer. I'm sure you'd be the first to admit it isn't as good, however, it was worth the read.

Edited by Davey

For some reason I pick these books up at the airport with my last couple of thousand baht.

The latest I bought was "My name Lon you like me?" penned by Derek Shannon and is meant to be a true story about the life of a very cute service girl called Lon.

Usual story Issan gal lands in Bkk AT 13-14 and it all starts from there.(She is 25 now)

Quite interesting read and sounds credible.

Uuhh...I'd lay off the rhymes and stick to writing. I haven't read your book, but I'll get it and read when I've got a chance.

mbkudu,

I'm fairly serious about the book - as serious as I ever get :o

The poems are (like me) juvenile:

Here's another:

I am the baddest of the bad men

The sweetest of the saints

I am the romance of romantics

The slipperiest of the sly

I am the biggest of the losers

The smallest in the church

I am the loveliest of the lovers

The truth and the lie

I am the way to darkness

And the way to the light

I love you in your glory

I'll still love you when you die

-PP

Oh, and as for Paul Pisces book, I read it all.  I don't have much to compare it to in relation of it's genre, except from Private dancer.  I'm sure you'd be the first to admit it isn't as good, however, it was worth the read.

Hi davey,

Thanks for this.

1) You read it (all).

2) You liked it a bit.

3) You gave me fair criticism.

Private Dancer is excellent.

Stephen Leather is a professional.

I am a rank amateur but I try and I write honestly.

I can only get better....:o

Thanks again.

-Regards, PP

quote=Turok,2005-08-31 17:37:03]

Fellas:

Instead of reading all these novels on Thai women, Pattaya bar hos, etc... and are looking for advice on how to survive it all, I suggest you follow my advice to a tee and skip all of this bullshit....

Here it is,....

Find the girl

F%^k the girl

Forget the girl.

Thats it. So simple. Works every time.

In addition to this, I suggest 3 rules to follow when playing the scene in Thailand:

1. Always Pay

2. Never take a girl to your place. Get a cheap hotel room and take a girl for 2 hours or less.

3. Never see the same bar girl more than once.

There. These shouldhelp you newbies and inexperienced men out and it took you less than 30 seconds to get this advice.

Why would u want to read crap books like these when there are so many better reads? Dont understand some of you guys!

Turok

Its not quite so clear cut really is it?

Many Thai ladies are very nice and would make great wives and partners.

Most women in the world want security from a partner, especially in Asian countries where there arent the opportunities especially for women. Most Thai women want money and security, but it is possible to find one who also likes/loves you. Most bar girls do not fall into this category.

Chicken tonight

Here it is,....

Find the girl

F%^k the girl

Forget the girl.

Thats it. So simple. Works every time.

In addition to this, I suggest 3 rules to follow when playing the scene in Thailand:

1. Always Pay

2. Never take a girl to your place. Get a cheap hotel room and take a girl for 2 hours or less.

3. Never see the same bar girl more than once.

There. These shouldhelp you newbies and inexperienced men out and it took you less than 30 seconds to get this advice.

:o:D:D:D:D:D

right on, brother.

I saw my mates screwed out of money and emotions by Bg's when everybody was saying give her up....

Never date a BG..

There really isn't any need to, there are so many decent hard working Thai girls just waiting for a decent human to treat them right.

Use the bg,s for what they are, be nice to them and pay up but don't see them again. That's what i did and i never had any problems.

I haven't read any of these books but i will download them out of interest, the alcohol based story sounds more like me. :D

Hi Jesse,

I'm glad you liked the book.

I am 46 and working in Switzerland still programming computers.

I visit the Philippines or Thailand for a month every Xmas.

When I was drinking at my worst I had many bad dreams.

The dream in the book is an amalgamation of those dreams.

I still behave badly from time to time and will likely come to a sticky end.

Probably not with a shotgun, however.

-Best wishes, PP

Hi lappami1,

Thanks for the feedback!

To quote 'Police' I was "Born in the fifties" (just) - 1959.

-PP

Yes, I was pretty sure that you are 2-3 years older than me. I liked your book partly because many situations in the book were very familiar to me. Sometimes when I have had a hangover I've been forced to drink a little before going to work and same on lunch. When I'm sober I'm full of trust on myself but when having hangover couldn't trust less. I have also spoiled some good relationships with girls using too much alcohol and I've also had problems in my work because of drinking. Nowadays my life is quite stable. I spend my holidays in Thailand drinking and having fun and in Finland I work and exercise and avoid drinking too much. P.S. I specially enjoyed the part when the boss said you must work overtime for nothing and in the same moment you gave the boss your resignment :o