Is This My Mistake?

Hi,

Been to Soi 8 today for 3rd. retirement visa. I am married to Thai wife ( nearly 5 years ) so I thought I could get away with 400,000 Baht in bank. Before I have had 800,000 or more but getting fed up with not getting much int. on savings so I thought I would try with less. First off I'm told because you support Thai wife you need different form from retirement visa, so go back to counter where I ask for form. When I tell them I want visa for supporting Thai wife and that I have 400,000 in bank they say "This OK for wife, but what do you live on?" OK, I have pension, but I have to go to embassy for letter to tell them how much I got coming in each month. I can do this and I have enough income, but I mistakenly thought that if you are married to Thai wife the 400,000 only is all you need to show. Seems that you still need 800,000 ( 400,000 baht in bank and pension of 40,000 baht per month ) So how are some people getting away with just having 400,000 baht in bank? Is this my mistake or is there another way of going around this? monsieurhappy

Last week I went in for my annual renewal of my temporary visa based on retirement for the fifth time, here in Chiang Mai. This time, however, I didn't have the full 800K in the bank. For the first time I needed to show a letter from my consulate guaranteeing that I am telling the truth about the amount of pension money I get every month even though I had all the wire transfer receipts from the US. It would seem that the application of the marriage test for a visa follows similar ground rules but different baht values.

I have gone the Route of 400K in Thai Bank myself (marriage to Thai). No pension money. The requirement was the money had to be transferred into the Thai Bank from a foriegn bank account (I was told that it had to be transferred no sooner than within 3 months of applying for the extension). I had to take a letter from the Thai Bank showing the balance and the transfer of the required amount and the letter had to be dated within 7 days of my application at immigration.

I was told that each and every year I must do the same. Transfer at least 400K, etc. After the extension is approved the money can be used to do with as you please.

For support Thai wife you need your wife, proof living together (usually photos will do but police may also come around to verify), her ID card, her home register, your or joint bankbook with 400k from overseas and bank letter within 7 days to verify amount in account.

The form used is the same TM.7 but the reason is support Thai wife.

They do want to have a source for your income/pension on file but do not believe it has to be from your Embassy. I have never done that - but I do give them an updated copy of my official pension statement each year.

I am not sure the immigration understood your intention.

Firstly you need to change your O-A retirement visa for a O visa based on marriage.

Then you should only need the 400K in the bank or a pension income of 40k a month. That is for the whole family, not just your wife!!

I am not sure the immigration understood your intention.

Firstly you need to change your O-A retirement visa for a O visa based on marriage.

Then you should only need the 400K in the bank or a pension income of 40k a month.  That is for the whole family, not just your wife!!

It may be an O visa now Astral ( he didn't say ) but it is based on retirement either way. He needs to change it to a support situation at Immigration. Wife,

papers ID card etc.

Hi,

Calmed down a bit now as I have my new 1 year visa. As far as I can tell I have a non immigrant "O" visa, but as it doesn't actually say this, how can you be sure? Is there something that actually says "O" visa? Part of my information as to what was needed for my visa, was an article in the Pattaya Today - 1-15 March 2004 Vol. 3, issue 12, which states a farang married to a Thai will be able to extend a Non-immigrant "O" visa for a year from the date of entry, subject to having at least 400,000 in cash in a Thai savings acc. OR proving an income of at least 40,000 baht a month. See attach.

The Pattaya-immigration web site gives similar info.

What p*sses me off is that the infomation given for the documents needed is not "black & white". I didn't know there was a different form for someone who supports a Thai wife, I thought that as a retiree who supports a Thai wife I would automatically come under the reduced rates. When I first went to Soi 8 on Tues. I had with me all the supporting docs. and my wife. All the guys behind the counter would tell me was " It'll be easier for you if you get a letter from your embassy to prove how much pension you get each month" I think what he meant was, " It'll be easier for them!"

Ken says that the money in the bank acc. as to be transferred from abroad no sooner than 3 months before needed for visa. Where does this info come from? I haven't seen this in writing. My Thai bank acc. never drops below 400,000, so am I supposed to spend this and bring fresh funds in each year? ( No wise cracks about someone else spending it for me! )

All I would like to see is a list of what is needed, as regards docs. and being able to say that I have every doc. on the list, please give me my visa. Instead of a guy behind the counter asking for a copy of something that he knows you haven't got and that you would never have known to get it in the first place.

I went to Bangkok and got the letter from the British Em. that I could have got in the first place if only the full facts were known. Is this being unreasonable? Mons.H

PS. I have copy of article from Pattaya Today, but not sure how to attach it to this letter.

PPS. 2 friends who have also produced letters of certification for their pensions were reputably told at Soi 8 that their letters would be good for next year, whereas I was told that next year I would need to get another letter from the embassy. See what I mean!!

My Thai bank acc. never drops below 400,000, so am I supposed to spend this and bring fresh funds in each year?

I'd like to know if are suposed to transfer in funds every year, as well. It does not affect me now but it will in a couple of years.

Yes. You are expected to transfer in funds on a regular basis as the reason for your visa is support for your Thai wife and the 400k is to be used for that support.

They are not likely to count every baht but expect your will be questioned closely if less than half is not spent and replaced (but that is just a guess and there would likely be other factors involved).

you guys are even confusing me now. i have done my type o visa already. all that was required was :

wife to be there with me at time applying.

her house reg

her id and marriage cert.

photos of us together in front of house and in house (12 pics all together)

bank statement with 400k in it.

did my money come from outside??? no it did not i opened the account with the 400k about 1 month before i applyed for the extension on the visa.

thats it. all done. finished. complete.

now keeping in mind this was done in BKK office. and i was a brown noser with the lady talking all the time about her and how hard her job was ect........ i had no problems at all. im thinking this rule ppl see and hear about for the money to come from outside really depends on the officer your dealing with. so if ya go there with a chip on your shoulder already or they think you should have shaven or not worn the them type of cloths or better yet, you should have taken a bath before leaving...... im sure you get the point. good luck all.

opps forgot. as for the 400k the next time? i was told by same lady to just take out the money a little at a time to show activety and to make sure it was at the 400k when i see her again next year.

I would also make sure you have a work permit next time if you can not show foreign source deposits. The first time they can give you extra leeway, especially if you have a degree, but the requirement is foreign source if you do not have legal work here as you can confirm from this rather detailed PDF file LINK

im thinking this rule ppl see and hear about for the money to come from outside really depends on the officer your dealing with.

My guess is that it is a combination of your appearance and your behaviour.

What harm is there in being polite and deferential to the immigration officer, who works hard, probably for a measly salary?

im thinking this rule ppl see and hear about for the money to come from outside really depends on the officer your dealing with.

My guess is that it is a combination of your appearance and your behaviour.

What harm is there in being polite and deferential to the immigration officer, who works hard, probably for a measly salary?

That's 100 percent correct.