Work Visa

This maybe a stupid questions but:

Can I obtain a work permit before I find employment. Or do I have to find employment first, and then apply for a Work Permit.

I am moving to Bangkok in December to join my thai fiance and must begin looking for work. I already have obtained the Non Immigrant Type O Visa.

I am just guessing that it would be easier to find employment if I already had a work visa.

Oh boy! :D

Okay this is how it works, find work first then comes the work permit. To apply for a work permit you'll need letter of appointment from your future employer and letters of what your duties are from your past employer. And also alot of other paper work in which i guess Sunbelt could assist you on this once you got a company willing to employ you in LOS.

Explorer :o

Do you have prospects for work? Do you have a degree? Experience in a specialized field that might gain you employment here? Will your new family connections find you employment?

Don't want to discourage you but employment is very hard to find for foreigners without at least some of the above and work permits (required) are not available for most jobs. Although you might be able to live on 20,000 baht per month in a love nest it is not going to be allowed. If you need to support your wife please don't cut your current ties until you have a better understanding of the realities involved in living here.

Explorer has presented the routine - find employment - obtain work permit - start work - extend your stay at an immigration office. If you are married it will require 40k in salary and if not, more, according to your nationality.

Do you have prospects for work?  Do you have a degree?  Experience in a specialized field that might gain you employment here?  Will your new family connections find you employment?

Don't want to discourage you but employment is very hard to find for foreigners without at least some of the above and work permits (required) are not available for most jobs.  Although you might be able to live on 20,000 baht per month in a love nest it is not going to be allowed.  If you need to support your wife please don't cut your current ties until you have a better understanding of the realities involved in living here.

Explorer has presented the routine - find employment - obtain work permit - start work - extend your stay at an immigration office.  If you are married it will require 40k in salary and if not, more, according to your nationality.

I am a dual Canadian/British Citizen

I have a degree in International Development from Dalhousie University in Canada. I also have a Master of Business Administration. So far I am trying to make as many contacts as possible and find work that way. I know it will not be easy, but hopefully it will work out.

I am a dual Canadian/British Citizen

I have a degree in International Development from Dalhousie University in Canada.  I also have a Master of Business Administration.  So far I am trying to make as many contacts as possible and find work that way.  I know it will not be easy, but hopefully it will work out.

That will help greatly if you have to go into the teaching profession here as a degree is a requirement for most employment. MBA seems to be the catch all degree among Thai foreign students so probably will not mean much in itself. Networking is the name of the game and you will probably have to be here on the ground to do it well. With the degree you do stand a much better chance of obtaining a one year extension after marriage (even if you can not meet full financial conditions initially). Good luck.