Is Thailand Safe?

g0g

Hi all,

I subscribed to the forum a few weeks ago and have been receiving email updates regarding Thailand.

Next week myself and a friend (both male) are heading off around the world. We intend to spend time first travelling from Bangkok upwards and on into Laos, and later we will return to Bangkok from Cambodia and travel by land south through Thailand and on down as far as Sinapore for out next flight.

My question is - is this safe? And if not, just how dodgy is it?

I have read a number of articles about problems in the south and then I think I read that Bangkok could possibly be a target location.

Please could someone clarify? Is Southern Thailand simply a no-go area? The British government site last time I saw it was advising against all but essential travel to Thailand. Could someone either living in Thailand or someone who has travelled in Southern Thailand recently possibly let me know what it's like?

I'm trying to decide if we need to re-route our travels! I don't mind taking a bus through a town of dodgy-looking people but I don't really want to be shot!

I agree with Explorer. Stay on the Had Yai to Sadao route and maybe consider going from Had Yai to Penang(Malaysia) via Sadao in a tour bus.

The trouble only seems to be in the 3 provinces of Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani. To me, the three nicest provinces of southern Thailand.

I agree, if you keep away from Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani and exercise caution you should have no problems. Always be aware of what is going on around you and keep up to date with recent events.

One thing that is worth realising, these people in the deep south do not have a beef with western people, there beef is with the govenment and people who work for the government i.e. police, army etc.

having said that though they are bombing beer bars neer the border.

Noodles.

I agree, if you keep away from Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani and exercise caution you should have no problems. Always be aware of what is going on around you and keep up to date with recent events.

One thing that is worth realising, these people in the deep south do not have a beef with western people, there beef is with the govenment and people who work for the government i.e. police, army etc.

Noodles.

That Western People like to go to?? :o

My neighbour from Narathiwat repeated his invitation to visit his family during a pending visa trip, and said it's safe, there is no illwill against foreigners. However, I decided against it on this occasion.

All other parts of Thailand are safe to travel, with the exception of some border regions with Myanmar. Overall, it is a very safe place.

Noodles.

That Western People like to go to?? :o

Mostly Malaysians and Thais in those bars.

I would stay from Hatyai altogether. They have bombed the train station there before and have warned they would do it again.

I wouldn't let concerns about trouble in the south change your travel plans too much.

Hat Yai and Songkhla is where I live, when not at work, and my wife and children are there.

The fact that you're aware there may be a problem means you'll be OK.

I'd agree with some of the previous comments, go through Hat Yai and cross into Malaysia at Sadao, there have been some bombs in beer bars in Sungei Golok, but you're not missing anything, most of the visitors there are Malaysians on a dirty weekend and it's a crappy hole.

If you're really concerned you could always take the ferry from Trang to Langkawi.

Post deleted

Don't listen to this fella he is speaking absolute cr@p. I really speak thai and have lived in the south as well as Bangkok, and nothing like that ever happens. Thai people are very friendly and outside of the normal tourist areas (where you say "no thankyou" and keep walking) no one will bother you as a tourist.

Genarally speaking, Thais have an astute sense for moods and detecting nuances, subtle and not so subtle in the emotional attitudes of those they interact with. They can 'smell' farangs with a condescending 'higher than thou' attitude and insulting aggressive behavior miles away. They will start making comments and cracking jokes at the expense of the same such jerk walking pass them everyday.

Don't take Chaz's rant serious, unless you fit into the category of lager louts or 'superior' Westerners with an attitude problem.

Genarally speaking, Thais have an astute sense for moods and detecting nuances, subtle and not so subtle in the emotional attitudes of those they interact with. They can 'smell' farangs with a condescending 'higher than thou' attitude and insulting aggressive behavior miles away. They will start making comments and cracking jokes at the expense of the same such jerk walking pass them everyday.

Don't take Chaz's rant serious, unless you fit into the category of lager louts or 'superior' Westerners with an attitude problem.

Just confirming the postings by stroll, muenwai and srh, If you are open and friendly towards Thais and respect their culture and traditions you will be treated in the same way, naturally there may be the occaisional exception, but in general the people of Thailand are very easy to get on with.

Thyailand is one of the safest plases i have been, i certanly feel much safer in central bangkok at 2 am than i would in central dublin , london, amsterdam, malan or paris.... however... going south is like watching one of those horror movies where the "stupid" person (no gender implied) goes into the "area" (room ect) when you are screaming "what the <deleted> are you doing going there!

the other day in iraq they found the body of a young japanise guy who went ther for the adventure.... i am sorry for him, but if you play russian roulet you can be un-luck-ly first time...

air fare is cheep in thailand, go and explore this beautifull country the more north you go the nicer the people get in my experence.... when you feel its time to leave "go fly" OUT OF THERE.... BUT I BET YOU WILL COME BACK WITHIN 12 MONTHS!

Have a Happy,

DeDanan

I agree with Explorer. Stay on the Had Yai to Sadao route and maybe consider going from Had Yai to Penang(Malaysia) via Sadao in a tour bus.

The trouble only seems to be in the 3 provinces of Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani. To me, the three nicest provinces of southern Thailand.

Not any more if the trouble continues. :o

IamMaiC, you have been playing with your Crystal Balls again?

The first part is valid advice today, but be prepared to modify your plans when the time comes.

If necessary consider a flight to Penang from Bangkok, fares can be as low as 1000 baht (US$25) with the budget airlines.

All things equal.. in other words taking out the possibility that you are trouble looking for a place to happen...AND... this is not statistically researched to verify it's unquestionable accuracy... Disclaimer complete.

I think the biggest danger... the most likely way for you to come to harm is on the highways and roads. A lot!!! If you aren't afraid of that you shouldn't be afraid of anything.

Thailand is a wonderful country and the locals are great...and genuine, most of the time. I lived in the city of Songkhla for 3 years and never had a problem with the locals. Missed the bombing of the train station in Hat Yai by a day luckily enough. I wouldn't miss the south out because of what's happened and you won't be anywhere near the goings-on anyway. If you're worried, you could always take a budget flight from Bangkok to Penang. By road, take a share taxi from outside the Kings Hotel in Hat Yai. they leave when there are 4 people, or you could just pay the extra.

Hi all,

I subscribed to the forum a few weeks ago and have been receiving email updates regarding Thailand.

Next week myself and a friend (both male) are heading off around the world. We intend to spend time first travelling from Bangkok upwards and on into Laos, and later we will return to Bangkok from Cambodia and travel by land south through Thailand and on down as far as Sinapore for out next flight.

I have read a number of articles about problems in the south and then I think I read that Bangkok could possibly be a target location.

Please could someone clarify? Is Southern Thailand simply a no-go area? The British government site last time I saw it was advising against all but essential travel to Thailand. Could someone either living in Thailand or someone who has travelled in Southern Thailand recently possibly let me know what it's like?

I'm trying to decide if we need to re-route our travels! I don't mind taking a bus through a town of dodgy-looking people but I don't really want to be shot!

And remember, don't go to new York, I hear "they" are bombing there too, thailand is as safe as anywhere in the world as long as you use a little common sense, keep a reasonably low profile and don't be an ######. Don't let a few scare stories put you off living your life, carry on regardless. btw are you american by any chance? don't belive the hype

All things equal.. in other words taking out the possibility that you are trouble looking for a place to happen...AND... this is not statistically researched to verify it's unquestionable accuracy... Disclaimer complete.

I think the biggest danger... the most likely way for you to come to harm is on the highways and roads.  A lot!!!  If you aren't afraid of that you shouldn't be afraid of anything.

This has a lot of truth to it.

The US government has a website whick lists the cause of death of any US citizen dying abroad. The vast majority in the Thailand section seem to be road deaths (especially motorcycle accidents).

http://travel.state.gov/family/issues_death_01.html

There's far more likelihood of you being killed on the road, esp. if you rent a motorbike, than any other harm coming to you in Thailand. (except in Banglamung, seemingly, from the data on the website. - Banglamung is, of course, Pattaya).

Hi all,

And remember, don't go to new York, I hear "they" are bombing there too, thailand is as safe as anywhere in the world as long as you use a little common sense, keep a reasonably low profile and don't be an ######. Don't let a few scare stories put you off living your life, carry on regardless. btw are you american by any chance? don't belive the hype

Thanks again everyone for the replies. In response to this one - no I'm not an American. I'm Irish. I understand that Thailand is a friendly country in general etc etc etc.

The reason I posted this I guess was in response to that fact that the FCO (or whatever it's called) UK website now has Thailand in it's not-too-safe list of countries. I have a feeling this may mean that my insurance won't cover me there now if there's a governement advisory against travel there. I had absolutely no concerns until I read that - plus also since subscribing to the newsletter on this forum I've read about some deaths and a lot of problems in the south. I'm not someone who goes out looking for trouble. I'm more simply wondering how safe I am travelling through the South!

Anyway thanks again everyone for the replies! I guess I'll see for myself when I head off on Monday! :o

Hi all,

Thanks again everyone for the replies. In response to this one - no I'm not an American. I'm Irish. I understand that Thailand is a friendly country in general etc etc etc.

The reason I posted this I guess was in response to that fact that the FCO (or whatever it's called) UK website now has Thailand in it's not-too-safe list of countries. I have a feeling this may mean that my insurance won't cover me there now if there's a governement advisory against travel there. I had absolutely no concerns until I read that - plus also since subscribing to the newsletter on this forum I've read about some deaths and a lot of problems in the south. I'm not someone who goes out looking for trouble. I'm more simply wondering how safe I am travelling through the South!

Anyway thanks again everyone for the replies! I guess I'll see for myself when I head off on Monday! :D

Good luck!

:o

Edited by Stocky

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Temporary freeze on Lao visas

Lao immigration authorities have announced no visas will be issued, either on arrival or through its embassies, for the period from November 22 to December 1 during the ASEAN Summit Meetings in Vientiane.

The last-minute announcement comes as a shock to tour operators, who will have to cancel or alter itineraries for clients who do not already possess visas.

A spokesman for the Lao embassy in Bangkok said the decision to suspend visa approvals was made in order to insure security for delegates attending the conference. “Many hotels are already fully booked during the summit, so visitors would not be able to find lodging in any case,” he said.

Meanwhile, in anticipation of hosting meetings for the ASEAN Summit next month, the Lao Plaza hotel has opened a new conference room and renovated its executive floors and suite rooms. The new 200 square meter Plaza Hall accommodates up to 60 guests theater-style. The US$2.5 million project also includes renovations to the deluxe suite and 33 executive rooms, with new desks, work areas and pantries. (TTG Asia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You said in your opening post you were coming here next week and working your way up to Laos............suggest you read the above, you may have to alter your plans around the blackout dates. :o