Who Would Be A Tv Moderator?

Richie1971

Whilst I admire the moderators on TV I do sometimes wonder why they do it?

I presume they do it for free and provide a valuable service to newbies and ex-pats alike but the question I'm asking is why?

The ad revenue must be substantial on a site like this and in my opinion they deserve a small piece of it.

Whilst the vast, vast, majority of mods provide relevant info on a number of diverse topics I get the feeling some (small minority) like the power the role holds and conduct their duties like an online version of the tourist police - (ie. no real influence but a bit of power goes to the head nit noi)

Have any mods had their applications rejected by the Tourist Police and decided on an online role instead?

This is by no means meant to cause offence or flame anyone but the question still remains why? :o

I presume they do it for free and provide a valuable service to newbies and ex-pats alike but the question I'm asking is why?

The ad revenue must be substantial on a site like this and in my opinion they deserve a small piece of it.

Whilst the vast, vast, majority of mods provide relevant info on a number of diverse topics I get the feeling some (small minority) like the power the role holds and conduct their duties like an online version of the tourist police - (ie. no real influence but a bit of power goes to the head nit noi)

Have any mods had their applications rejected by the Tourist Police and decided on an online role instead?

This is by no means meant to cause offence or flame anyone but the question still remains why? :D

:o

You should of just said who would be an “Internet Moderator” There all the same. As there is no wage for it, I would turn down such a duty.

This is by no means meant to cause offence or flame anyone but the question still remains why? :o

Must have lots of spare time....

This is by no means meant to cause offence or flame anyone but the question still remains why? :D

You should of just said who would be an "Internet Moderator" There all the same. As there is no wage for it, I would turn down such a duty.

I don't profess to be a forum expert but as this is TV and really the only one I ever look at it is relevant to this forum. As for 'turning down the duty' I dont think people actually get headhunted for the job they just volunteer which is why I made the OP.

You should of just said who would be an "Internet Moderator" There all the same. As there is no wage for it, I would turn down such a duty.

I don't profess to be a forum expert but as this is TV and really the only one I ever look at it is relevant to this forum. As for 'turning down the duty' I dont think people actually get headhunted for the job they just volunteer which is why I made the OP.

You volunteer , or you get asked..... having lot's of spare time is a prerequisite :D

You do it for the best of the community, no pay involved.... maybe george would buy a beer sometimes :-)

Darknight "former TV admin"

Sometimes do get asked sometimes they leave a message in need for Moderators. I know other moderators on other forum bored, same duties but rules are all different. Someone’s got to do it I guess. There are a few important rules Thai visa needs to uphold or they will lose there website or have major problem on there hands.

Like everything in life...having been a member of Thai Visa for 4 years I have found there are some really good moderators and some bloody awful ones. Some are power crazy, some are realistic and fair...as well as knowledgeble and well balanced people

Same as you will find in any sector of society.

I have never been considred good enough to be a moderator as I got a shed load of warnings early on.

Note to all: If you ever WANT to be a mod....never post when you have had more than 2 Beer Changs !!!

I have heard of a Mod in Pattaya who banned his best mate...what can you make of that if it's not a power trip?

Power can be a dangerous thing if mixed with a big ego

Good question and I've always wondered about this too. But I have a couple of points to make here also:

1. The rules of TV say that discussions about moderation of the fora is not allowed so i don't know why they allow this thread (not that I am objecting at all).

2. As in several previous threads where the subject of voluntary work has been discussed, I wonder if they need a work permit to do the job. If so, then they could all be kicked outta the country toute suit if the labour dept. found out. I bet that question brings a few moderators on board now.

Good question and I've always wondered about this too. But I have a couple of points to make here also:

1. The rules of TV say that discussions about moderation of the fora is not allowed so i don't know why they allow this thread (not that I am objecting at all).

2. As in several previous threads where the subject of voluntary work has been discussed, I wonder if they need a work permit to do the job. If so, then they could all be kicked outta the country toute suit if the labour dept. found out. I bet that question brings a few moderators on board now.

It ain't gonna happen... the Thai authorities know all about TV and how it works, no moderators get paid, its all purely voluntary