Garbage In The Kingdom

dhind1

Why does it appear acceptable to throw something away once it has been opened and or used? I try repeatedly to impress upon my family that this is their country and if they do not stop dropping garbage then they will be leaving a legacy for future generations. The family has come a long way and rarely do I now have to remind them that this or that area is not a garbage can!

However I see repeated occasions of ordinary citizens just letting garbage drop from thir fingers to blow away in the breeze, or stuffing items to the side knowing that they will blow away with the first puff of air that comes along. I am disheartened by this practice and at a loss to enlighten the population as a whole. I know it partially stems from previous times when most things (read food items) were wrapped in bananna leaf or something equally bio-degradable. But surely people now know that plastic and paper take longer to degrade and meanwhile sully the landscape.

I was walking along Jomtien beach two days ago and the amount of garbage on the beach and in the water is really depressing. What will it take to enlighten the govenrment and the population? Education is the answer but I do not see any evidence of awareness of the problem.

For that matter it surprises me that the beach chair concessions do not pick up everything in sight. A few days / weeks / months of picking up things would go a long way to cleaning the beaches.

I apologize for the essay but this is something I feel very strongly about and would like to change! :o

If you think Thailand is dirty, you should come here to Vietnam.

It may be a slog but I think the only way to change attitudes is to lead by example (and it has to be said that "green" and "environment" were little-known words in Europe until not so long ago).

I make sure that I take out everything I took in when going into e.g. a forest. I do a yearly clean-up campaign at the hotel I run, with the participation of local schools and the authorities. I have phases out most plastic bags at the hotel. I encourage guests to participate in keeping the area clean. I educate my family (VN wife). All small steps, I know, but one has to start somewhere.

If you think Thailand is dirty, you should come here to Indonesia. :o

I tried for a long while to teach my (TH) Wife and her family about rubbish disposal, but it fell on deaf ears, infact they used to laugh at me. Stupid Farang.

Infact, toll booths, The FiL would pay the toll, then smartly drop the receipt. When I told the wife we should keep a bin in the car so the receipt can go in there the FiL laughed and added the obligatory Mai Bpen Rai.

What to do?

It may be a slog but I think the only way to change attitudes is to lead by example (and it has to be said that "green" and "environment" were little-known words in Europe until not so long ago).

I make sure that I take out everything I took in when going into e.g. a forest. I do a yearly clean-up campaign at the hotel I run, with the participation of local schools and the authorities. I have phases out most plastic bags at the hotel. I encourage guests to participate in keeping the area clean. I educate my family (VN wife). All small steps, I know, but one has to start somewhere.

I have been to Vietnam and yes the problem exists there as well.

I appreciate your efforts at clean up and encourage everyone at Thaivisa to participate with their families.

If you think Thailand is dirty, you should come here to Indonesia. :o

I tried for a long while to teach my (TH) Wife and her family about rubbish disposal, but it fell on deaf ears, infact they used to laugh at me. Stupid Farang.

Infact, toll booths, The FiL would pay the toll, then smartly drop the receipt. When I told the wife we should keep a bin in the car so the receipt can go in there the FiL laughed and added the obligatory Mai Bpen Rai.

What to do?

Keep trying I guess - Thanks

Eventually it will sink in. I hope.

If you think Thailand is dirty, you should come here to Indonesia. :D

What to do?

Keep trying I guess - Thanks

Eventually it will sink in. I hope.

Actually, I might need to update my post. Last year I was working in Korea and I had my Wife and kids with me. If any of you know S.Korea at all you will know they have very strick garbage laws with heavy penalties for doing the wrong thing. Every house has different bins for paper, glass, food stuffs, cans etc etc, these then go in similar bins outside for collection. These bins are all colour coded.

After 6 months or so my Wife had caught on and now she uses a similar process at home. When she realised the benefit she decided she would not go back to her old way. It has made a great difference at home.

However the rest of the family are still sloths. :o

I think most so called 'developing countries' are the same.

What gets me is when in a beach restaurant and the area directly in front of the beautiful restaurant is littered with garbage.

It would not take much to educate the people through a TV campaign and advertising. However I feel that the Thai people are the same from the top level down. None of them either care or understand. Either that or there's no money in it for them.

As another post said it wasn't that long ago that the west was the same.

I think you have to begin by educating school children.

If tossing litter becomes taboo then peer pressure will begin to change attitudes.

It's possible children could educate their parents.

Can you imagine what Bangkok would look like without the Army of street sweepers we have?

I think Thailand just need better street cleaners, in Sydney we have these little mobile things that drive on foot paths that picks up all the rubbish and even sprays it with water, we also have a bigger one for the streets.

i always drop my rubbish, but I have a look around first before I do it, if im drunk i just drop it without caring for anybody.

I think Thailand just need better street cleaners, in Sydney we have these little mobile things that drive on foot paths that picks up all the rubbish and even sprays it with water, we also have a bigger one for the streets.

i always drop my rubbish, but I have a look around first before I do it, if im drunk i just drop it without caring for anybody.

And if anyone told you not to surely a kickbox to the head would settle the matter.

On a brighter note, a couple of weeks ago I stayed at Jomtien for a weekend trip with the wife. I woke up rather early (about 6:00 am) and looked out of the room's window toward the beach. All of the vendors up and down the beach as far as the eye could see were bustling about picking up litter, arranging their chairs, raking the sand, emptying rubbish bins etc.

Hi

Whilst In Xiamen, Southern China I witnessed well dressed office staff scraping up chewing gum from the pavement during their lunch hour. :D

Surely all Thais would be only to pleased to emulate :o

TBWG :D

PS Although I am not well travelled in Europe by far the worst litter problem I have encountered was in Majorca

Has anyone seen south Korea cleaning up there mess, they are probaly the worlds best, they pretty much all clean up mess after events

Haha Koreans freak out even if the end of the jeans is dragging on the ground. It 10 years ago it uses to be a dump. Now its like sparking clean. My cozens on the Korean counsel in Thailand and they have talks on these matter it’s very likely they might use a few clean up methods in Thailand.

shame on you

The family has come a long way and rarely do I now have to remind them that this or that area is not a garbage can!

I was walking along Jomtien beach two days ago and the amount of garbage on the beach and in the water is really depressing. What will it take to enlighten the govenrment and the population? Education is the answer but I do not see any evidence of awareness of the problem.

For that matter it surprises me that the beach chair concessions do not pick up everything in sight. A few days / weeks / months of picking up things would go a long way to cleaning the beaches.

I apologize for the essay but this is something I feel very strongly about and would like to change! :o

Your superior farang attitude must go down very well with your family and neigbours!

If you want to educate, become a teacher, if you want to become involved in local political or social matters then you should become a Thai citizen, if your not prepared make the commitment to become a thai citizen in order to have a legitimate

voice in thia affairs then you either put up with how the locals live or relocate to a place that you are content with.

Thai's were dumping their rubbish where they liked long before you arrived and willstill be dumping it where they like long afer you have gone, you could not have failed to have seen how thais dispose of their litter/rubbish on your very first visit

yet you chose to live amongst it.

Litter and rubbish unfortunately is not considered to be a high priority by the majority of thai's, I suspect that as soon as you are out of sight your family revert to dropping thier litter where they like.

If you really want to make a difference, go down the soi's and beach and clear it up yourself, if you dont want to spend your time picking up other peoples rubbish you should not expect others to do it for you.

I am not saying its right to dump your rubish everywhere but as a farang I know its a matter for the thai's to resolve,

Roy gsd

HI Donk,

Dont be too suprised if one day a street cleaner spots you and "drops" you too :o

Mind you you could try telling him (or her!) you are just getting ready to blend in with the locals when you arive in LOS in January?

On second thoughts frget that, you would likely get you another beating for trying to take the Piss!

Roy gsd :D

HI Donk,

Dont be too suprised if one day a street cleaner spots you and "drops" you too :o

Mind you you could try telling him (or her!) you are just getting ready to blend in with the locals when you arive in LOS in January?

On second thoughts frget that, you would likely get you another beating for trying to take the Piss!

Roy gsd :D

Nah, People are too scared to say that to me, i mean, would you go up to a perfectly good looking man that looks like a machine of a human and tell him to pick up his rubbish?

It would be likr a flee going up to a elephant

Why does it appear acceptable to throw something away once it has been opened and or used? I try repeatedly to impress upon my family that this is their country and if they do not stop dropping garbage then they will be leaving a legacy for future generations. The family has come a long way and rarely do I now have to remind them that this or that area is not a garbage can!

However I see repeated occasions of ordinary citizens just letting garbage drop from thir fingers to blow away in the breeze, or stuffing items to the side knowing that they will blow away with the first puff of air that comes along. I am disheartened by this practice and at a loss to enlighten the population as a whole. I know it partially stems from previous times when most things (read food items) were wrapped in bananna leaf or something equally bio-degradable. But surely people now know that plastic and paper take longer to degrade and meanwhile sully the landscape.

I've seen beach sweepers on Koh Samet raking up the organic leaves and stuff coming in with the waves but totally ignoring the plastic and litter above the tide mark.

Once a very nice lady was delivering some expensive rattan furniture I'd bought from her to my home in Surin. We shared drinks and so on and as she was leaving she ran down the window of her pickup and threw a whole load of cans and garbage into my garden. She was actively courting me for more business and had no idea what a slut she was.

Over the past few years in our village I think the litter problem has improved enormously though so there's room for hope.

Incinerators made of an oil drum are immensely useful as stuff burns really hot and doesn't blow everywhere. The real answer though is through education in the schools and of course a campaign to reduce the use of plastic wrappings.

I think I'm on about fifteen plastic bags a day and it's difficult to kick the habit. Everything... a drink, a newspaper, a gaeng gai means another bag.

It's a big problem in every Third World country as they modernise and begin to use non-biodegradeable materials.

The other approach is to go back to natural materials... baskets, woven banana leaf and so on. It could be anew cottage industry and help save the environment.

Has anyone seen south Korea cleaning up there mess, they are probaly the worlds best, they pretty much all clean up mess after events

The Don, if I may so bold to qoute you without the risk of serious injury to myself.

The Japanese are very efficient also.

I'm quite sure a few roundhouse kicks would sort them out if not.

Yours grovellingly, Maigo6.

I'm living in Korea now and I have to say the Koreans aren't as clean as they would like you to think.

They have this system of coloured bags, as other posters have said, no trash cans. You buy a bag and put your rubbish in that and someone comes along and takes it away. Sounds good. Twice this week our bag has been emptieed on the ground and the bag taken. Someone is stealing a used, 20 cent rubbish bag (twice). How cheap is that?

Before you say, "oh maybe it was a stray dog." I've been here for 10 months and have yet to see a stray dog. Stray dog in Korea = lunch.

The family has come a long way and rarely do I now have to remind them that this or that area is not a garbage can!

Your superior farang attitude must go down very well with your family and neigbours!

If you want to educate, become a teacher, if you want to become involved in local political or social matters then you should become a Thai citizen, if your not prepared make the commitment to become a thai citizen in order to have a legitimate

voice in thia affairs then you either put up with how the locals live or relocate to a place that you are content with.

Thai's were dumping their rubbish where they liked long before you arrived and willstill be dumping it where they like long afer you have gone, you could not have failed to have seen how thais dispose of their litter/rubbish on your very first visit

yet you chose to live amongst it.

Litter and rubbish unfortunately is not considered to be a high priority by the majority of thai's, I suspect that as soon as you are out of sight your family revert to dropping thier litter where they like.

If you really want to make a difference, go down the soi's and beach and clear it up yourself, if you dont want to spend your time picking up other peoples rubbish you should not expect others to do it for you.

I am not saying its right to dump your rubish everywhere but as a farang I know its a matter for the thai's to resolve,

Roy gsd

Sorry Roy I disagree. Just because it has always been done does not make it right. We all know garbage education will come sometime here. Please excuse the pun. I thought by starting this topic I might be promoting a cleaner Thailand. It seemed like a good idea. I agree whole heartedly the Thai's will have to be the driving force behind any meaningfull educational program.

I do like to clean up as much as possible as it has to start somewhere.

You are correct Thai's were dumping rubbish long before I came and that is a large part of the problem as most of what was dumped in the past would bio-degrade. Now this gereration has not had the benefit of the blitz campaigns many farangs experienced when we were growing up. Their parents did not have a problem throwing things away so why should they?

I am sorry if you feel any small effort to clean up makes me superior, personally it makes me feel better and hopefully others will emulate our actions.

I would not move from Thailand at present, my family is here and I love Thailand. I do not think trying to help is wrong. I challenge all persons everywhere, here or any country to act responsibly when it comes to garbage.

There is a patch of garbage the size of Texas in the Pacific ocean. It is never too late to start disposing responsibly.

Please see the following:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyre

and

science.howstuffworks.com/great-pacific-garbage-patch.htm

Tisk tisk all you folk who drop litter. Doing the right thing is ever so easy! :o

You try finding a bin then? i mean cmon when you need a bin there isnt one.

If you didnt drop the rubbish then those litter picker people wouldnt have there jobs would they?

By dropping litter you create jobs!

Great topic, dhind1.

On Thai tv, they have 2 short videos everyday. One shows a lady walking and bags flying to her face. One shows some scuba divers and snack bags suddenly flow around them. The last sentence is "Juoi kan khon lah mai khon lah mu keb muang Thai hai suai ngam (Each person, let's help keep Thailand beautiful)".

I myself keep the chewing gum bags in my jeans pocket or handbag and let it go into a trash can later. If I eat in the car, I keep all inside the plastic bag the seller provides, and let it go into my trash can when I reach home. My Thai husband just throws everything over the car window as he hates the messy car. I say "Don't look and you won't feel messy. I'll clear up when we reach home". Our 3 children are against the father's habit also. Their schools teach the right thing.

I keep waste from cooking in the kitchen trash can and plastic bags in a separate bigger bag. Reason is those plastic bags take so much space. I empty my trash can every 2 days so they won't get bad smell. My (Thai) sister in law's trash can often has worms at the bottom. Disgusting! She then uses a paper to put at the bottom so she won't see the nasties. If I see that, I must wash with dish liquid.

I tell my husband everyday not to throw things to the garden next door just because no one is living there and grasses are covering. I tell him he can do with banana leaves, coconut and leaves of every kind (they become fertilizer in a few months or a year) except plastic bags, foam boxes and so. I put a big bag next to the border wall and tell him to throw things in. I bet he doesn't give a sh_t so I will look for something which looks more like a trash can.

There are 2 public trash tanks near our house where people come clear once or twice a day. I saw someone walking by and threw the bag (they have by buying a drink) near the tanks. (Why did they take the bag knowing it won't stay with them for more than 2 minutes?). Sometimes I take plastic bags and empty milk boxes lying around the 2 tanks and put them into the tanks. People passing who see me doing that may do the same or they won't trash things around.

When we go to Vietnam, husband still keeps that habit and tells me "They're doing the same thing as me. Can you clear that garbage?"

I said "I don't ask you to clear garbage of other people. Your not adding your garbage to the street is enough."

I was born in Vietnam. In those years around 1985 in my secondary school, the Head Master forced students to keep clean. He said "If I see garbage in front of your class, I understand one of the students in your class did it. One of you must pick it up."

He said "I don't know why every time the whole school sit down on the school yard and when you stand up to move into the class, there are papers everywhere on the floor. Clear them up".

We took turn to sweep the class floor. When it was one's turn, he/she brought the sweeper (broom) from his/her own house then brought back home at the end of the day.